I Can't Run, Strength Training for Fat Burning?

I'm in my 30's and have always been pretty thin but have had trouble

maintaining my abs. In my job, I have to sit a lot. It's caused back problems even though i've tried to stay active in my life outside of work. So I can't run much, it tends to put stress on my back and cause pain.

I weigh 165 right now, 5'10"

I could benefit from cutting out a few desserts but I typically eat pretty

healthy, no junk food or McDonalds ever.

Here's what I look like (safe link): http://i47.tinypic.com/2gy3jur.jpg

What Can I Do that isn't jogging or running or Biking (i have no bike)

I do walk to and from work about 2 miles each way, Doesn't seem to

help lose cals

Edited by InBloom
Eddie Edirol

Unless you can do high intensity cardio like run, jog or bike, you arent going to lose weight like you want to. Certain body types dont lose all the weight with good food. But you can strengthen your back with back extention exercises and dead lifts. Theres plenty of videos on youtube on how to do these with proper form so you dont wreck your back. You just need to start with lighter weights, and gradually work your way heavier. You eat protien after the training, and you will have your back in shape in a few weeks. THEN you can start jogging, or biking and lose the weight without bothering your back.

You look like you need to cut back on your food. "Eating healthy" food can still make you fat if you eat too much of it. The weight of your belly is putting stress on your back, just as if you were a pregnant woman. If you take in more calories than you burn, it gets stored as fat.

Using weights while you are dieting will burn the fat faster and you will see toned muscles as the fat disappears.

Edited by FitChick
  • Like 1

Hi carb low/very low fat /sleep water natural sugar its not about eating less its about eating the right foods the right time best exercise ride a bike everywhere( secret if you eat the right foods you can eat as much as you want lol:cool:

You need cardio not just from a weight loss point of view but for general fitness. Get a bike or if you really don't want to, take up swimming.

lots of gyms have a bike pedal type thing that you use with your arms... Its a crazy intense cardio workout that doesnt use your legs.

Most bodybuilders do very little cardio. I have never done a lot of cardio beyond walking a mile or two several times per week because I find it boring. You can get your heart rate up using weights. Depends on how you do it.

ThaWholigan

I just started doing burpees and mountain climbers. Those two exercises can burn fat quite a lot. Search for cardio in small spaces on google.

You can get your heart rate up using weights. Depends on how you do it.

For true fitness you should have your heart rate at around 80% of its maximum for 30-35 minutes continuously on a regular basis. You can't do that with weights.

For true fitness you should have your heart rate at around 80% of its maximum for 30-35 minutes continuously on a regular basis. You can't do that with weights.

Once again, why I hardly ever comment in this section, because people here know soo little about fitness, but think they are trainers. This statement is totally ridiculous. I won't expand on that, only to say if you want real fitness advice, DON'T get it from a singles forum.

• Like 3

You say you don't have a bike....well.....get one!

It's fun and enjoyable while burning fat at the same time.

If you need any help on choseing a style of bike, just ask. Already from that pic and your description, I suggest a nice hybrid bike. Those give you a larger tire and more comfortable geometry that won't stress your body to start. Later you can progress to a more competive geometry and a faster bike or Mountain bike.

I say go biking and if you feel embarrassed to be seen in shorts due to being out of shape and/or riding public roads, you can always find nice walking paths that are paved... Just do some sprints and/or casual riding.

Anyways...I highly recomend bicycling to you.

Oh and bike fit is important..... you need the size frame for you. At 5'10" it will be between a medium frame and large depending on bike style and make.

I'm in my 30's and have always been pretty thin but have had trouble

maintaining my abs. In my job, I have to sit a lot. It's caused back problems even though i've tried to stay active in my life outside of work. So I can't run much, it tends to put stress on my back and cause pain.

I weigh 165 right now, 5'10"

I could benefit from cutting out a few desserts but I typically eat pretty

healthy, no junk food or McDonalds ever.

Here's what I look like (safe link): http://i47.tinypic.com/2gy3jur.jpg

What Can I Do that isn't jogging or running or Biking (i have no bike)

I do walk to and from work about 2 miles each way, Doesn't seem to

help lose cals

Running isn't your issue. I haven't done cardio in about 2 years and I'm currently sitting at 10% body fat. You need to get your diet in check, find your maintenance calories (they amount of calories you can eat to remain the same) and then lower them by 500 calories a day, causing 1lb of fat loss per week. Lifting weights would also benefit you greatly (start slow) as the more muscle you have on your frame, the higher your daily energy expenditure. Try using this to calculate your maintenance-http://www.1percentedge.com/ifcalc/ (You only require the first page) and then get started!. Abs are built in the kitchen my friend.

Hi carb low/very low fat /sleep water natural sugar its not about eating less its about eating the right foods the right time best exercise ride a bike everywhere( secret if you eat the right foods you can eat as much as you want lol:cool:

This is not true.

You will never lose weight eating a high carb/low fat diet.

You need to cut refined carbs and sugar. Consider cutting all carbs.

Eat quality protien (fish, chicken, lean turkey), vegetables etc...

This is not true.

I'm sorry but this is not true. You could live off refined carbs and sugar and still lose weight. Calories in vs calories out. I really wish people would stop saying things like this.

I'm sorry but this is not true. You could live off refined carbs and sugar and still lose weight.

But you wouldn't feel so good. I know from experience. Have a treat now and again but add it into your daily calorie count and eat a good basic, healthful diet as a foundation. I could never deprive myself of my treats unless I was really cracking down for a specific event, like a vacation. At least then I'd have an end point to my deprivation.

I'm sorry but this is not true. You could live off refined carbs and sugar and still lose weight. Calories in vs calories out. I really wish people would stop saying things like this.

Calories in vs calories out was debunked a long time ago, do your research.

Sure you can lose weight eating pasta and doughnuts, but you would have to workout like Michael Phelps.

Sugars and refined carbs spike your insulin levels which leads to the absorption of blood glucose.

Edited by Desinova

Sure you can lose weight eating pasta and doughnuts, but you would have to workout like Michael Phelps.

That's only if you ate 10,000 calories a day like he did when he was training for the Olympics.

When I was in Italy, there were lots of skinny Italians and I saw them eating pizza and pasta, their staple foods. Unlike Americans who eat a whole pizza, they eat just one slice. When I was in Rome, I lost weight walking around the city. I was constantly snacking on gelato, pasta (spinach lasagna was fab!), pizza, cornetto e cappucino because I was burning so many calories. I wouldn't recommend eating that stuff everyday with no protein or veggies though. Moderation in all things.

That's only if you ate 10,000 calories a day like he did when he was training for the Olympics.

When I was in Italy, there were lots of skinny Italians and I saw them eating pizza and pasta, their staple foods. Unlike Americans who eat a whole pizza, they eat just one slice. When I was in Rome, I lost weight walking around the city. I was constantly snacking on gelato, pasta (spinach lasagna was fab!), pizza, cornetto e cappucino because I was burning so many calories. I wouldn't recommend eating that stuff everyday with no protein or veggies though. Moderation in all things.

If the OP can do strenuous cardiovascular exercise he can lose weight eating a high carb/low fat diet.

The OP already says that he walks and can't run and is not at a weight that he wants to be at. More than likely it will be tough for him to burn more calories.

Nobody loses weight eating a lot of carbs unless you are doing a lot of cardio. And when one does do a lot of cardio, the high carb diet isn't integral in losing weight, it is the cardio.

The way to lose weight is to decrease carbohydrates.

Edited by Desinova
If the OP can do strenuous cardiovascular exercise he can lose weight eating a high carb/low fat diet.

The OP already says that he walks and can't run and is not at a weight that he wants to be at. More than likely it will be tough for him to burn more calories.

Nobody loses weight eating a lot of carbs unless you are doing a lot of cardio. And when one does do a lot of cardio, the high carb diet isn't integral in losing weight, it is the cardio.

The way to lose weight is to decrease carbohydrates.

Excuse me what? anyone an lose weight eating "high carbs" (which is relative) providing the amount of calories you're taking in daily, are less than the amount you're burning. Last year I ate an almost 100% high-refined carb and fat diet. My body fat % dropped from 13% to 11%. I didn't do ANY cardio outside of daily activities. I lost a bit of lean muscle mass but nothing dramatic. I'd like to know where everyone is getting their information from.

Calories in vs calories out was debunked a long time ago, do your research.

I think you need to do your research sir. A calorie is a calorie, when you eat fewer calories than your body requires, you will loose body weight Edited by Titanwolf
This is not true.

that is insane idea cut out carbs completely then get depressed lol won't help the OP much

• Like 1

If two groups of people maintain a daily intake of 2000 calories (say both groups are in a 500 calorie deficit) and group A derives the calories from toast, coffee with cream and sugar, hamburger and fries, pizza, ice cream, etc..and group B obtains the calories from egg whites, oatmeal, chicken, fish, green vegetables, sweet potatoes, brown rice, etc...both will lose WEIGHT. The degree of lean mass and fat loss would likely be different though. Group B may also perform better, feel better, and end up looking better.

• Like 1

Have you talked to a dr about your back problems? Building up your core strength, via weights, might be helpful for your back in the long-term (depending on the actual issue). You might need to hire a trainer to help you map out a program that won't aggravate the issues.

How about swimming?

OMG where do you people get your information!?!

PLEASE start reading some good books on nutrition (like The Zone Diet as I always recommend), and start searching fitness advice on fitness forums not dating forums. Maybe even subscribe to Muscle and Fitness, or Muscle and Fitness for Her if you are a woman.

Excuse me what? anyone an lose weight eating "high carbs" (which is relative) providing the amount of calories you're taking in daily, are less than the amount you're burning. Last year I ate an almost 100% high-refined carb and fat diet. My body fat % dropped from 13% to 11%. I didn't do ANY cardio outside of daily activities. I lost a bit of lean muscle mass but nothing dramatic. I'd like to know where everyone is getting their information from.

I think you need to do your research sir. A calorie is a calorie, when you eat fewer calories than your body requires, you will loose body weight

Boom headshot.

Like I said do your research, read the page completely, you will find links to books that explain it further.

Educate yourself.

"Until very recently everyone believed that calories were calories were calories, and the notion that there could be “good for us calories” and “bad for us calories” was considered absolute nonsense. But the belief that all calories are the same has been called into question as the increasing incidences of cancer, heart disease, and acquired diabetes are reaching epidemic proportions in a society that is increasingly following the “healthy” guidelines to reduce fat intake, reduce meat consumption, and eat more fat-free carbohydrate grain and starch. Some argue that it's not that we're getting sicker, it's that we're living longer—but children are becoming overweight, obese, and diabetic."

"This means completely removing, to the greatest degree practical and possible, all high-starch and low-cellulose products of modern agriculture. No bread, cookies, crackers, chips, cake, pretzels, sugary drinks, potatoes of any kind, and so on."

Edited by Desinova