Anybody know why some people have a "sour" body odor some of the time?

I'm wondering if anyone here has encountered people who have a "sour" body odor that is quite noticeable, even from a foot or two away. Almost like sour milk. It's not like normal body odor, not so sharp or overwhelmingly bad. But when it's there it's impossible to ignore, and it's not a nice smell. In my experience it's person-specific, but not consistent. I interact on a fairly regular basis with two unconnected people -- a man and a woman -- who periodically give off this smell.

It's not alcohol; neither of the people I know are big drinkers, and I've noticed this smell at all times of the day, not just in the morning after a night of drinking.

It's also not because they don't wash, or because they wear soiled clothing. These are very clean folks ... except for the smell.

What is it? Any ideas? It's not like I'd ever say anything to either person -- they're both very nice, very conscientious, and would be mortified. I'm just curious.

Thanks!

PS: In case it's relevant, both people are white and both (I believe) eat dairy products. But I'm also white and eat dairy products. A white colleague, who has also noticed the same odor in one of the two in question, consumes dairy. I do not notice the same smell in this colleague, nor does she in me (we asked each other). Just in case anyone was guessing that this was an ethnic difference or diet-related.

Sounds strange. I bet you there is a smell related to something or other, but it would be hard to tell unless you randomly question them about their lifestyle or heredity. I know doctors can prescribe pills to people to control body odors that dont go away with cleanlines. Maybe its some kind of disease who knows.

It must be something in their diet....maybe some particular seasoning or even multi-vitamin pills they are both taking.

There are some disorders that do that, i think (username removed) is a doctor, she might be able to answer

Maybe those nasty people that stick at your work spend all day farting. Who knows. That is the only thing I can come up with because if you stick that bad, then either you spend all day farting and the area just plain sticks where it is in their clothes and hair that that could be the culprit. Or the people just stink like B.O. Plain and simple.

Most of the time the cause is hyperhidrosis or excessive sweating caused by heat, stress or other factors which may cause sweat glands to become hyperactive. Some people who are into health foods may secrete sweat that is unusually odorous. People with this disorder can perspire immediately after showering and emit an unpleasant odor despite the fact they have just showered.

There are also those who sweat profusely and have what is primitively called "crotch rot" in which a very foul odor eminates from the crotch even though that area has been washed earlier in the day.

In my case, I use tuna fish for underarm deodarent and, although it seems offensive to some people, it gives me my own unique odor and I am able to find lost cats quite easily. Dave1234 introduced me to this product, called "Charlie" after the tuna guy. Dave has had many a dick-lay after attracting girls from the food court with his foul smell...not to speak of his chronic halitosis caused by his decaying teeth which are very near falling out of his mouth.

Tony, your very funny. Not sure why I am laughing so much but things on this forum really are making me LOL. Anywho, I still think these people stink like farts and are soiled in their smell.

:D ;D ;P