my fitness/weight loss thread

eleanorhurting

Well I keep complaining about having gained weight and being unable to lose it so I am going to force myself to keep a public diary of what I eat and how I work out to see if I finally force myself to stick to the changes I need to make so I lose weight.

Height: 5'5

weight today: 126 pounds

goal weight: 115 pounds

breakfast:

4 crackers with easy cheese, water

lunch:

home-made (by me yay!) vodka cream pasta with tomatoes, water

snack:

4 crackers wtih easy cheese

dinner:

another portion of my vodka cream pasta with tomatoes, water

I wonder how bad the pasta is. I made it from a cook book i bought to teach myself to cook about a month ago. It had tomatos, shallots, basil, half a cup of cream, 1 can of chicken broth and 1 cup of vodka, 1 tbs of butter ( I used reduced fat) and 2 tbs of olive oil

I guess the worst thing was the pasta which I calculated the whole thing probably had like 1,500 calories according to what the box said.

So I ate twice, my mom ate and there is still a lot left over so I probably ate between my two portions a little bit less than half of the whole thing.

Let me know if that was a bad choice

fitness:

I walked for 15 minutes around my block and then I did an insanity video.

I'd try to ditch the Easy Cheese...

And here's a question...what's your alcohol intake like...?

Yeah, ditch the crackers and cheese as your snacks. Those are empty calories that won't help you burn fat.

Try to eat a few pieces of fruit and some nuts or rice cakes instead. Those are healthier and will speed up your metabolism and have less calories.

My favorite snacks are strawberries, raspberries, walnuts, pecans, sunflower seeds, bell peppers with humus, apples with cheese, bananas, and celery with peanut butter.

Good luck. Just be consistent and before you know it you'll feel and look better.

• Like 1

That is the worst "diet" I've seen in years.

Where on earth are your fruits, vegetables, and lean protein?

• Like 4

And here's a question...what's your alcohol intake like...?

I got very lean recently by making huge amounts of chicken soup and chili, freezing them in portions, and just eating that every night for dinner.

If she were to do that, plus exercise, eat a normal lunch, but watch her carbs (avoid pasta!), keep snacks to a minimum, she might still be able to have her nightly six-pack.

I got very lean recently by making huge amounts of chicken soup and chili, freezing them in portions, and just eating that every night for dinner.

If she were to do that, plus exercise, eat a normal lunch, but watch her carbs (avoid pasta!), keep snacks to a minimum, she might still be able to have her nightly six-pack.

Well yeah if you eat nothing but soup and lunch you'll lose weight. But once you go back to normal meals all that weight'll come back. :p

And I have to disagree with you about avoiding pasta. Pasta is low on the GI index (glycemic index) which means stable blood sugars, easy to digest, low in calories and healthy if eaten in normal amounts (1 cup measured). Whole grain, al diente (somewhat stiff) pasta with red sauce (avoid cream sauces) or pesto plus two side vegetables is a healthy, low calorie dinner. I love chili too but eating that every night would give me so much gas it wouldn't be worth it. :)

• Author
eleanorhurting

you are right it isnt really a "diet"

To me diet means cutting out stuff (fried stuff, candy, alcohol)

I should focus on substituting for fruits and vegetables.

My alcohol intake is not that high but I realize it is probably a problem anyway

I dont drink beer

i usually drink red wine 1 glass maybe 2 times a week and every other weekend I will have a margarita.

Well yeah if you eat nothing but soup and lunch you'll lose weight. But once you go back to normal meals all that weight'll come back. :p

Well, that's what she wants isn't it? Whatever she chooses, after she goes back to her normal diet the weight will come back. Her normal diet is what got her in this state in the first place. She'll have to make permanent lifestyle changes in order to keep it off.

And I have to disagree with you...

:mad:

you are right it isnt really a "diet"

To me diet means cutting out stuff (fried stuff, candy, alcohol)

I should focus on substituting for fruits and vegetables.

No, a diet from a health and fitness standpoint is the entirety of your nutrition plan...and should not be synonymous with simply a reduction of food intake...or mere substitution of foods with certain other foods...if you are serious about weight loss and increasing physical fitness, you need to consider a more comprehensive plan...something our friend tman is very well-versed in...

But to be honest, I think you're not eating enough, especially if you are going to increase your physical activity with exercise (e.g., the Insanity workouts).

My alcohol intake is not that high but I realize it is probably a problem anyway

I dont drink beer

i usually drink red wine 1 glass maybe 2 times a week and every other weekend I will have a margarita.

Good. This amount is hardly enough to be a concern.

Of course the most effective nutrition plan (i.e., "diet") will depend on her specific goals. I much prefer starting off with a solid diet plan built on basic nutritional values versus fad diets or crash courses...although the results will likely be slower, it'll be easier to transition and create lasting results.

Eleanor, are you looking to just completely lean out or also put a little muscle on your frame...?

Well, that's what she wants isn't it? Whatever she chooses, after she goes back to her normal diet the weight will come back. Her normal diet is what got her in this state in the first place. She'll have to make permanent lifestyle changes in order to keep it off.

Well let's remove the word "diet" and replace it with "healthy eating." Diets are futile and all about deprivation, whereas healthy eating is about making healthy choices of foods and eating them in normal portions.

You can still junk out on a brownie, beer, or bowl of ice cream as long as you aren't eating say a pint of ice cream for dinner. But I do agree with you that permanent lifestyle changes will keep weight off when combined with moderate aerobic activity.

:mad:

Now now Johan, don't be mad *pats Johan on the head*. Here's some bunnies for you...:bunny::bunny::bunny: all better now? Hmmm? There now, all better. :p

Whoops, I included my response inside Johan's quote. Embarrassed am I.

This was what I posted originally:

Well let's remove the word "diet" and replace it with "healthy eating." Diets are futile and all about deprivation, whereas healthy eating is about making healthy choices of foods and eating them in normal portions.

You can still junk out on a brownie, beer, or bowl of ice cream as long as you aren't eating say a pint of ice cream for dinner. But I do agree with you that permanent lifestyle changes will keep weight off when combined with moderate aerobic activity.

• Like 1
  • Author
eleanorhurting
No, a diet from a health and fitness standpoint is the entirety of your nutrition plan...and should not be synonymous with simply a reduction of food intake...or mere substitution of foods with certain other foods...if you are serious about weight loss and increasing physical fitness, you need to consider a more comprehensive plan...something our friend tman is very well-versed in...

But to be honest, I think you're not eating enough, especially if you are going to increase your physical activity with exercise (e.g., the Insanity workouts).

Good. This amount is hardly enough to be a concern.

yeah i had a period of time where I used to drink more but I a glad to say I have that under control :)

who is t-man?

Eleanor, at a bmi of 21, you are likely at a very healthy weight for your frame.

Changing your eating habits so they are healthy is probably going to reap more benefits in the long term than trying to lose weight you don't actually need to lose.

• Like 1
yeah i had a period of time where I used to drink more but I a glad to say I have that under control :)

who is t-man?

Well that's good. Unfortunately, that is usually the number cause of demise for people in their early to mid-20's...some eventually recover, but for many, it's too late before they realize what had happened, and they usually just say f*ck it and do nothing about it...

Tman is a prominent member, especially in the fitness subforum, who has pretty extensive nutritional and fitness knowledge who actually has the patience to write out very detailed and accurate posts about the very thing you're asking about. He has on more than one occasion outlined entire exercise and nutrition plans for other members. I have great respect for the guy and the knowledge he offers; though I haven't seen him around in a while...he tends to come and go...

• Author
eleanorhurting

i dont really want to get bigger but I would like to be more toned

but the problem is I really think that when I weight less I look more toned without even having to work out arduously.

My sister tells me I should not lose weight and just "tone" my belly and my butt and my legs but I really believe that my toned legs and belly and bubble butt are hiding under the fat that is covering them and I need to get rid of the fat first.

but the problem is I really think that when I weight less I look more toned without even having to work out arduously.

My sister tells me I should not lose weight and just "tone" my belly and my butt and my legs but I really believe that my toned legs and belly and bubble butt are hiding under the fat that is covering them and I need to get rid of the fat first.

Lifting heavy weights is the fastest and most effective way to get rid of that fat and get stronger. And contrary to popular belief, you won't get "bigger."

• Like 2

Also, don't drastically change your eating habits overnight. Make gradual changes because that's more realistic. Also, you'll need to financially budget for fruits and veggies as those cost more than boxed, processed food does esp. if you'll be eating those foods every day. Keep a food diary too until your dietary changes become second nature.

Kamille friend clams sounds yummy. Mmm-good. :)

• Like 1

Eleanor, I thought you were a medical student. This just goes to prove that doctors know nothing about diet, nutrition and exercise. Go to Oprah's website. She has loads of information about diet and exercise and many forums. Dr. Oz probably has a website as well as Dr. Andrew Weill.

Eleanor, I thought you were a medical student. This just goes to prove that doctors know nothing about diet, nutrition and exercise. Go to Oprah's website. She has loads of information about diet and exercise and many forums. Dr. Oz probably has a website as well as Dr. Andrew Weill.

I think this is because those in the field of medicine tend to lag behind in areas such as fitness and nutrition and adhere to antiquated beliefs (remember the low fat craze from 10+ years ago...?).

Well if she is a medical student she probably doesn't have a lot of time to spend cooking. I know as a grad student during the semester my night classes either start at 5 or 6 p.m. and go for 3 hours so I can't be at home cooking dinner on those nights.

What she could do is try to cook her dinner earlier in the daytime the days she has class at night or whenever, than refrigerate her dinners to be eaten at a later time after class.

• Author
eleanorhurting

I am not a doctor yet!

And just because I am doing a poor job with my own eating habits and exercise does not mean that all Doctors out there know nothing about diet, nutrition and exercise.

I know they are bad. I am trying to improve them.

and so far what I have learned in school is that people should do 30 minutes of moderate exercise 3 times a week for half an hour. But that is pretty general in order to stay healthy, it is not focused on people who want to tone or lose weight.

Edited by eleanorhurting

and so far what I have learned in school is that people should do 30 minutes of moderate exercise 3 times a week for half an hour. But that is pretty general in order to stay healthy, it is not focused on people who want to tone or lose weight.

You are 5'5'' and 126 pounds, you are not over weight! Perhaps you do need to get stronger and get a more toned look but that's a different matter entirely.

You should do what Hokie suggested and lift heavy, it will NOT make you big, speaking from experience, but it will give you a toned look. You should see my shoulders and tiny waist as a result. As tman said, it's not like you go to bed normal and wake up looking like the Incredible Hulk.

• Like 1

In the grocery store the other day, I read that people who were dieting, who consumed kefir three times per day, lost belly fat, where others who were just dieting and exercising without drinking kefir, had no real changes there. I'll have to see if I can find it online, but you might want to try that: one cup of kefir, three times per day.