How should I improve my body

futuregopher

Can someone critique my body and tell me what I need to work on? I know I need a wider chest and broader shoulders. I've been trying to lean bulk I'm trying to look like Zyzz.

I'm currently 5' 11'' and 173lbs. Trying to add on 10-15 lbs of pure muscle mass to my frame and get under 10% body fat. Thank you LS!!

Pretty sure Zyzz did some crazy things to get his physique so that may not be your best target if you're doing this naturally.

After years of always looking at certain body builders and athletes and trying to research how tall they are, how much they weigh, and if I can ever look like that, I stumbled upon this website the other day where you can plug in certain measurements and it'll tell you what your likely genetic potential is. Look around on the website if you want an explanation of how they came up with it, it's easier than me trying to explain it. The WeighTrainer - Maximum Muscular Bodyweight and Measurements Calculator Basically the reason I'm suggesting that is if you have a small bone structure and that website tells you you're going to max out at 180 or something, you'll know not to torture yourself trying to get up to a lean 190lbs naturally.

Anyways, I don't have a lot of experience from your end of the spectrum, I'm always trying to lose weight while maintaining muscle, you want to bulk without gaining too much fat. It's up to you to decide which school of thought you want to go with, you can eat everything under the sun and train like a monster and worry about stripping off the fat afterwards, or you can keep your diet clean and try to gain the muscle without getting fat on top of it. There are calculators all over the web that will help you come up with a calorie requirement based on what your goals are.

Can someone critique my body and tell me what I need to work on? I know I need a wider chest and broader shoulders. I've been trying to lean bulk I'm trying to look like Zyzz.

I'm currently 5' 11'' and 173lbs. Trying to add on 10-15 lbs of pure muscle mass to my frame and get under 10% body fat. Thank you LS!!

You are what I'd call "skinny ripped." You need to work on everything. Do more squats and deadlifts. Lift heavy weight. Eat more. A lot more. You'll naturally stay relatively lean, so I wouldn't worry too much about getting "fat."

The key is to maintain a balance across your entire body. One body part should NEVER stand out as bigger than the others. Keep working at it. It may take a while, but the pounds will come.

You need to start weight lifting exercise because this exercise will make your wide. Push-ups is the best exercise for chest and you can eat high calorie food in your diet which will help to make big muscles.

If you could install a turbine which, when driven by your "emissions", would force extra air into your lungs under great pressure, you would go much faster. You just need to worry about overheating.

Maybe a lift kit.

There are lots of possibilities. It just depends what kind of improvements you're after and what you're willing to spend.

I personally prefer skinny ripped to muscle bound ripped. Male models are skinny ripped. It's what I call a healthier version of a rock'n'roll body, which I used to like.

• Author
futuregopher
You are what I'd call "skinny ripped." You need to work on everything. Do more squats and deadlifts. Lift heavy weight. Eat more. A lot more. You'll naturally stay relatively lean, so I wouldn't worry too much about getting "fat."

The key is to maintain a balance across your entire body. One body part should NEVER stand out as bigger than the others. Keep working at it. It may take a while, but the pounds will come.

I started deadlifting and squating about three months ago and I've noticed that they really helped my physique epsecially the DL. I CAN'T BELIEVE I didn't do those before. I was so stupid. Yeah I think I might have to lift heavier. I'm eating around 2700 calories right now. Would bumping that up to around 3000 and lifting 10% heavier still keep me relatively "ripped"? I still want to keep low fat especially around my midsection.

I started deadlifting and squating about three months ago and I've noticed that they really helped my physique epsecially the DL. I CAN'T BELIEVE I didn't do those before. I was so stupid. Yeah I think I might have to lift heavier. I'm eating around 2700 calories right now. Would bumping that up to around 3000 and lifting 10% heavier still keep me relatively "ripped"? I still want to keep low fat especially around my midsection.

You're over thinking this. Get as strong as you can on every lift, and eat more until you start growing. If you start getting fatter than you'd like, eat less.

You have no idea what it takes to put on 10-15 lbs of muscle apparently.... either take drugs, or report back on your progress in about 3 years. There are no quick ways to pack on lbs without the use of drugs, combined with heavy training and proper diet.

• Like 1
You have no idea what it takes to put on 10-15 lbs of muscle apparently.... either take drugs, or report back on your progress in about 3 years. There are no quick ways to pack on lbs without the use of drugs, combined with heavy training and proper diet.

Especially for a Chinaman...

• Author
futuregopher

lol...not to sound like a dbag but if it takes you 3 years to pack on 10-15 pounds naturally, then either you're doing something wrong or being incredibly inefficient. My philosophy is this - you put your mind to it and believe in yourself because if you don't, nobody will. You have to be able to think of the possibilities first and you'll be able to achieve them because the mind is always stronger and more powerful than the body. It's like the Roger Bannister story. He believed that he could get a sub 4 minute mile when people said it was impossible but he eventually did it. And after he broke that barrier, somebody else beat his sub 4 minute mile time a few weeks later. It's all mental.

I think getting up to 181 is pretty reasonable by the end of this year for me.

lol...not to sound like a dbag but if it takes you 3 years to pack on 10-15 pounds naturally, then either you're doing something wrong or being incredibly inefficient.

Have you ever personally put on this amount of lean muscle mass in the time you're estimating...?

Dude you have no idea what you are talking about. And if it IS that easy (1) then why aren't you there yet, and (2) just come back in a couple months to prove me wrong. You are the perfect example of why I don't post much in the fitness section on a dating site.

• Author
futuregopher
Dude you have no idea what you are talking about. And if it IS that easy (1) then why aren't you there yet, and (2) just come back in a couple months to prove me wrong. You are the perfect example of why I don't post much in the fitness section on a dating site.

lols did you read what I wrote? I didn't say it was easy. I just said what you said about taking 3 years is INEFFICIENT. Notice how I said 10-15 pounds in three years is INEFFICIENT or you're doing something wrong. If you point out where I said it was EASY, I'll give you $1m.

lol @ asking why I'm not there yet...is that even a question? I'm not there yet b/c it's my goal...and I know I'll eventually reach my goal. 2) Again - where in the world did I say a couple of months? If you actually read what I typed, I made a goal of 181 by the end of this year which is about 6 months. If you give me 6 months, I know I'll be able to prove you wrong lol but I don't care about proving anyone wrong; I'm doing it for my own benefit.

I think you might be the person who starts hating on everyone as soon as they set a respectable goal for themselves. Instead of applauding a fat person who goes to the gym to improve himself, you're the one sniding at them behind their back. Isn't life better when you help people reach their goals instead of putting them down and saying their goals are unobtainable and they're stupid for possibly even thinking that?

• Author
futuregopher
Have you ever personally put on this amount of lean muscle mass in the time you're estimating...?

I started getting serious about fitness September 2011. I was what people would call skinny fat at 163 lbs. Started doing p90x and taking whey protein and got to 170 around late december 2011. Except, that was so inefficient because p90x is retarded and I was eating poorly. So if you take that 7lb gain in 3.5 months, I could attribute maybe only 5lbs to lean muscle mass. From January 2012 to March 2012, I ballooned up to 178. I was working 80 hour weeks and barely had time to sleep let alone go to the gym. I was also eating really bad so a lot of that was probably fat gain. I only went to the gym a couple of times a week on the weekends. But starting early march 2012, my work hours dramatically decreased and I started on a real regiment and diet. I went from 179 to 173ish where I am now with a more muscular body and less body fat. So all in all I went from 163-179-173 in about 9 months.

So if you take that 7lb gain in 3.5 months, I could attribute maybe only 5lbs to lean muscle mass.

This is a pretty aggressive number...

I went from 179 to 173ish where I am now with a more muscular body and less body fat. So all in all I went from 163-179-173 in about 9 months.

Good on you for the initial gains from 163...the beginning is usually the easiest and when you'll experience the most gain...it gets horrendously more difficult in later stages...law of diminishing returns...

But the bolded above this is the key to what fucpcg and I are talking about...just because the scale says you're heavier doesn't mean your weight gain is all attributed to the gain of lean muscle mass...there's so many factors that play into it...what is your hydration level at the time of weighing? Have you done an accurate body fat test along with weighing yourself? It's a lot more complicated than just looking at the scale and saying, "hooray, I've just gained x pounds of lean muscle mass!"

And one other thing, are you measuring your weight at the same time each day...? I personally will fluctuate between 5-6 pounds during the course of a day...being the "heaviest" at night...

Good luck to you on your little journey...the only qualm I have about your "goal" is to put a time limit on it...