You don't have to exercise to lose weight

I think The Biggest Loser has prevented a lot of people from even trying to lose weight by showing punishing workouts that go on for hours. It's not realistic. Yes, regular exercise will help you lose faster as well as maintain the loss, but diet is more important. It's never too late to start eating right. This woman is 50 and lost weight like they always did in the days when gyms were only for bodybuilders. She's now the same size she was at age 18.

It's better than doing nothing and it can be an impetus to exercise since you aren't carrying all that weight around, which makes it more difficult.

pink_sugar

I think both are just as important as the other. Exercise can help you live longer versus living a sedentary lifestyle. My H's 90 year old grandmother has been hiking for years and still hikes a few miles once a week. All his relatives on his dad's side are in immaculate shape due to good eating and exercise habits. Also if you have a sedentary lifestyle, you have to be careful about overeating since you do not need as many calories in your diet as someone who is active. A problem with a lot of sedentary lifestyles is people consume more calories than expended.

Are you sure you embedded the right link FC? I got Tom Hanks again. He does indeed look 18:p!

My rule to working out is: 10 minutes is better than 0, never more than an hour (unless a low calorie burning activity such as hiking). Many people around me seem to exercise as if to punish themselves. They always think they should be doing more, exercise for 2-3 hours in one day. And then they struggle to make it a part of their routine.

For me, losing weight = creating a calorie deficit, be it by eating less or excercising more. What works best for me is a combination of the two. That way I don't have to feel like I'm depriving myself food wise + I get the rocking bod and extra energy of the work out.

Star Gazer

Agreed, FitChick. "Abs are made in the kitchen, not in the gym."

Exercise helps weight loss, but diet is much, much more important.

• Like 2

For me losing weight is simple: I just have to look at a bicycle to lose 2 lbs. I am lucky, I know.

We tend to equate exercise with demanding exertions. However, even relatively simple things such as cycling to work or walking to the grocery store (if it is within walking distance, say 15 minutes) can make a huge difference. This is of course only an option if your town is geared to such options.

I never understood people who drive 30 minutes to get to a gym, to walk 30 minutes on a treadmill.

• Like 5
Feelin Frisky

Exercise is important as a time occupation for people who have a history of impulse to pleasure eat. Plus it provides a feedback mechanism when you overeat and feel awful doing the exercise. It's something an obesity sufferer should never stop doing once they get it going. The impulses will always be waiting to reassert themselves when one has too much time of unplanned activity.

• Like 1

This may be true for weight loss, but a person would need to progressively eat less and less over the years to maintain that weight without exercise. We need to exercise to maintain calorie-burning muscle, as well as for overall physical and mental health.

Form follows function. If, like d'Arthez suggests, you incorporate movement into your daily lifestyle, you'll stay in shape for a lifetime. My grandmother might have fluctuated 20 pounds or so over her adult years before she died at age 89, but she never got too heavy to walk miles every day--because she walked miles every day.

• Author

Since the woman in the story didn't exercise, I can only assume she hated exercise but finally decided she had to take control of her body and do something. I can't believe she's only 50, though.

Exercise is important for health, but I agree 100% with the OP. Weight is controlled through diet. It's a simple math equation; you simply can't exercise enough to make much of an impact on weight loss. People who engage in chronic cardio thinking it will make them "healthy" are just deluding themselves.

• Like 1

I have lost 50 pounds (I'm 15 from my final goal), and I did it all through portion control. I haven't even changed WHAT I eat - just how much.

It's hard at first, but once your body gets used to less food, it is easy to keep going.

I haven't done any formal exercise program, but I do try to MOVE more. You know all those cliches about parking in the furthest spot, stairs instead of elevator... it all really does make a difference.

Now, my weight loss has been very SLOW. I know it would be faster if I worked out like on the Biggest Loser. But I've just stayed focused and keep trying to make better choices, and my weight has just slowly dropped off.

Some things I have done:

If I go to a fast food place or somewhere with soda, I get a kid-sized cup. I don't allow myself refills.

If I go to a sit-down restaurant, I only eat 1/4 of my entree. I have the server take the rest away. Once you get used to it, this is more than enough food!

If I am having pizza, I eat very slowly. I enjoy every bite rather than wolfing it down. Eating slowly makes me full faster. I also order thin crust whenever possible.

I keep desserts around that are satisfying but low-cal. Fudgicles are great (80 calories!) So are lollipops. Pudding cups.

If I don't know what to eat, I eat cereal or soup. Both are relatively low-calorie, and are satisfying.

If I have a bad day, I just let it go and do the right thing the next day.

It's worked for me!

• Like 4
  • Author
I have lost 50 pounds (I'm 15 from my final goal), and I did it all through portion control. I haven't even changed WHAT I eat - just how much.

It's hard at first, but once your body gets used to less food, it is easy to keep going.

I haven't done any formal exercise program, but I do try to MOVE more. You know all those cliches about parking in the furthest spot, stairs instead of elevator... it all really does make a difference.

Now, my weight loss has been very SLOW. I know it would be faster if I worked out like on the Biggest Loser. But I've just stayed focused and keep trying to make better choices, and my weight has just slowly dropped off.

Some things I have done:

If I go to a fast food place or somewhere with soda, I get a kid-sized cup. I don't allow myself refills.

If I go to a sit-down restaurant, I only eat 1/4 of my entree. I have the server take the rest away. Once you get used to it, this is more than enough food!

If I am having pizza, I eat very slowly. I enjoy every bite rather than wolfing it down. Eating slowly makes me full faster. I also order thin crust whenever possible.

I keep desserts around that are satisfying but low-cal. Fudgicles are great (80 calories!) So are lollipops. Pudding cups.

If I don't know what to eat, I eat cereal or soup. Both are relatively low-calorie, and are satisfying.

If I have a bad day, I just let it go and do the right thing the next day.

It's worked for me!

It just goes to show that common sense changes, and not something drastic or magical, work for 99% of people. I get tired of the whining about "It's not that simple!"

• Like 1

90% diet / 10% exercise

Doesn't matter how much weight you lift or how many miles you run, you will NEVER lose weight if you keep your mouth full of food at all times (good or bad)

• Like 2
JesseJames

Now why do topics like this have to be started? If I mention anything about fat

or fat people then I go right to jail for incitement.

C'mon folks.

• Like 1
fitnesswellness01

Well I believe regular exercises are also important to maintain healthy lifestyle. Off course, it does not mean you have to do dieting at extreme level, but eating healthy is equally important.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Nevermind that regular exercise improves bone density, resting heart rate and the overall appearance of your body. Yes, you can lose weight without exercise, but it's not all about the weight.

Besides, only girls who exercise have great asses anyway.

Besides, only girls who exercise have great asses anyway.

Yep! Glutes are the biggest muscles in your body

Nevermind that regular exercise improves bone density, resting heart rate and the overall appearance of your body. Yes, you can lose weight without exercise, but it's not all about the weight.

That's how I feel about it, too. Exercise has SO many other effects that to me are more important than weight loss: in addition to all the physical benefits and prevention of diseases in old age, it's also really good for mental health.

Ruby Slippers
Agreed, FitChick. "Abs are made in the kitchen, not in the gym."

Exercise helps weight loss, but diet is much, much more important.

So true!

And pteromom, what a great post!

I love this thread.

It took me way too long to figure out that eating determines size/shape, and exercise determines fitness/tone.

I've always been in at least good shape because I am pretty active - but when I just cut back on the fat, sugar, and carbs, the fat started melting off and you could see so much more tone that had been hidden before.

I eat mainly vegetables, fruit, and lean protein - minimizing the carbs and sugars. This keeps me satisfied and just melts the fat right off.