I am a member of many fitness sites, but just for the heck of it Ill post a mini version of my 16 week bulk/cut program up here.

Stats as of 4/27/12

Height: 6'4"

Weight: 192

BF% : about 10%

Goal Weight: 210

Goal BF: 10-12%

Starting pic this morning unflexed and unpumped:

1ffr11.jpg

I'm probably going to switch from cutting to bulking (albeit cleanly as to not gain too much flab) in a couple of weeks, so I'm interested to see what course you take here.

• Author
I'm probably going to switch from cutting to bulking (albeit cleanly as to not gain too much flab) in a couple of weeks, so I'm interested to see what course you take here.

Its going to be a slow bulk, and thats so I can make sure I put on all muscle. Hopefully very little fat.

What I do is measure my waist. I pick a size that I dont want to go above. (in my case 34" is the max I want to be around my mid section) If I go above that I start to up the cardio more. If I stay below that I can increase calories and lower the cardio. Its a back and forth dance that you just have to practice over and over till you get it down pat.

GL with your bulk! :cool:

Its going to be a slow bulk, and thats so I can make sure I put on all muscle. Hopefully very little fat.

What I do is measure my waist. I pick a size that I dont want to go above. (in my case 34" is the max I want to be around my mid section) If I go above that I start to up the cardio more. If I stay below that I can increase calories and lower the cardio. Its a back and forth dance that you just have to practice over and over till you get it down pat.

GL with your bulk! :cool:

That's a good idea with the tape measure; I'll give that a shot. I'm finding that even the mirror can play tricks on me due to fluctuations in water weight. One thing for sure is that I refuse to ever bulk up again using the "seefood" method (where you eat every piece of food you see haha). I figure that I worked hard for my current level of leanness, so why regress back to square one?

• Author
That's a good idea with the tape measure; I'll give that a shot. I'm finding that even the mirror can play tricks on me due to fluctuations in water weight. One thing for sure is that I refuse to ever bulk up again using the "seefood" method (where you eat every piece of food you see haha). I figure that I worked hard for my current level of leanness, so why regress back to square one?

yea u def dont want to get on the Seefood diet! I learned the hard way just like u did. I went from rail skinny to fat, then had a hard time losing the fat. Wish i never gained it in the 1st place.

There is no slow bulking, unless you are talking years, or drugs. If you don't want to take advantage of either, then just stay lean for summer, then up those calories seriously come fall.

• Author
OP you wouldnt happen to be aware would you :)

yes I would. What's up fellow miscer?! :cool:

After workout pic today:

2r6oc9z.jpg

Dark, I'm just curious as to what percentage of your workouts are focused on heavy compound lifts versus isolated bodybuilding movements...? You have potential to be incredibly stacked while maintaining leanness, which would work quite well with your height.

• Author
Dark, I'm just curious as to what percentage of your workouts are focused on heavy compound lifts versus isolated bodybuilding movements...? You have potential to be incredibly stacked while maintaining leanness, which would work quite well with your height.

I probably do 50/50. depending on how I feel. I prefer compound lifts like benching instead of cable flyes, but if my shoulders hurt or my lats are sore from the day before Ill do the isolation exercises, but for the most part I'll put weighted pull-ups, quats, and incline bench press above all other lifts. I always do isolation on my bi's and tri's though, b/c my arms are small compared to the rest of my body. Thanks Id like to get up to 215 or so at the same BF. I think that would look pretty good.

There is no slow bulking, unless you are talking years, or drugs. If you don't want to take advantage of either, then just stay lean for summer, then up those calories seriously come fall.

After a certain level of caloric surplus, the benefits to muscle growth no longer increase, and one is simply taking in more calories than is needed for optimal growth. There is no physiological need to get sloppy fat in order to put on muscle. Most of the guys that I know that compete in both bodybuilding and men's physique bulk up without putting on a lot of fat. Obviously, the GFH (get ****ing hyoooge) method works, as it has for many bodybuilders today and in the past. However, there's no denying that it does make it tougher to lean out when the time comes. I guess it just depends on what a person is willing to put themselves through, and what kind of cost/benefit ratio a person is comfortable with.

• Author
DarkPrince

I believe that you can bulk without putting on alot of fat. I intend to prove it over the next 16 weeks.

I cant put on any weight right now. My strength is going up, but no matter what I eat the scale is between 190 and 194, fluctuating daily.

Today is an off day. Might go swimming later, but that's about all.

• Author
DarkPrince

Battery died on my car this morning, so I walked to the gym, had a great workout and walked home. Im tired as hell now!

• Author
DarkPrince

Its been a busy week.

Did alot of cardio on the beach jogging in the water. Had 2 great workouts at the gym! Too tired to post much else. Ill post pics in the next few days, even though there isnt much difference yet.

SmileFace

Good luck on your bulk. The see food diet isn't the way to go. Taking it slow and upping your protein is the way to go ( however I am in no way a carb nazi). However it makes no sense to cut then bulk back up with a huge amount of fat gain. I can't wait to start back lifting. However I am doing mostly cardio for the summer. I went from 22% body fat to around 26% body fat in eight months of not doing any type of exercise and eating and drinking what I want. Granted I am a girl and only gained 8 pounds in that time. However I plan to start a 3 day split-- two days on and one day off. Leg/abs - chest/shoulders/triceps - back/biceps.

Any way good luck!

• Author
DarkPrince
Good luck on your bulk. The see food diet isn't the way to go. Taking it slow and upping your protein is the way to go ( however I am in no way a carb nazi). However it makes no sense to cut then bulk back up with a huge amount of fat gain. I can't wait to start back lifting. However I am doing mostly cardio for the summer. I went from 22% body fat to around 26% body fat in eight months of not doing any type of exercise and eating and drinking what I want. Granted I am a girl and only gained 8 pounds in that time. However I plan to start a 3 day split-- two days on and one day off. Leg/abs - chest/shoulders/triceps - back/biceps.

Any way good luck!

Thanks Smile, good luck on your program too! :cool:

Weekly pics:

Standing relaxed:

sl3egz.jpg

Flexed:

2w37u3m.jpg

Ive actually make some good progress at the gym. The pics dont reflect that. My strength has been skyrocketing lately as well.

Edited by DarkPrince
  • Author
DarkPrince

I lost weight this week! Been eating like a pig yet Im down to 188! wtf? My strength is steadily going up on all lifts though. Im sure the weight will come eventually.

weekly pic:

33z6yki.jpg

Looking at last week's pic I look like Im cutting up. I might as well call this a cutting routine.

edit: this camera sucks. All the pics are dull.

Edited by DarkPrince
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Author
DarkPrince

Ive been swimming almost everyday in the Gulf and now Im beginning to see some good definition. I can most likely say that I am no longer bulking due to the amount of cardio Im doing, but I like the definition Im seeing and Im getting alot of positive feedback at the beach. Here's a pic I apologize for the flash.

aob5h0.jpg

• Author
DarkPrince

this pic is a little better. I got a new camera but I cant make a good face now. oh well. My wife took the pic that why I look mean.

dwrmv8.jpg

2d2chf4.jpg

Edited by DarkPrince