Tips on a cheap, healthy diet???

ThaWholigan

I am on JSA and usually I have to give most of it to my mother for essentials as we are not exactly the most financially stable family in the world.

I'm finding it difficult to afford a healthy enough diet to perform adequate exercise. I'm not really a meat eater but I eat fish mainly. Are there any particular foods I can buy to last 2 weeks that are within the realm of £50 pounds?? I need to buy in bulk and my father has been teaching me to become "like a scientist" when it comes to choosing the foods to eat, so I want to buy healthier foods. I eat veg mostly anyway, but perhaps food to compliment that.

Any tips???

Feelin Frisky

Go to the supermarket early in the day. You will probably see many pieces of fish reduced as "managers" specials. I've bought these and never got something that was rotten or even close. Shop carefully for chicken and make a huge bowl of chicken salad. I have been doing this for three weeks and eating a little chicken salad with two hard boiled eggs, maybe two walnuts and a few strawberries. I've lost weight an d my feet don't hurt any more from the long walks I was taking. As far as chicken goes, I like to make the salad out of breasts. So I look for breasts or cutlets and a price of $1.99 or less per pound. I have score these three times on my last three tries. So I spent $6.00 on enough chicken to fill in a lot of meals. You of course can buy whatever you choose and cook it however you want. But I have made it so that I'm not without a planned food and am not scrounging around on impulse for what I like. Eating this was has helped me lose my appetite.

Look for deals on produce to. I buy a big bag of kale but sometimes there are managers specials on leafy veggies and bag salads. Look them over and if they aren't browning, snap them up. Pork chops and cutlets are great too and just keep your eyes peeled for the best deal with the least fat. Cook a dozen hard eggs at a time and peel them. I cut out all breads and cereals and starches and it's working. I use celery stalks to chomp on. Tofu isn't too expensive, has protein and can go into any soup you might make. My bother lost 35 lbs like this and is vigilant. It also can be done rather inexpensively if you look out for deals. Frozen flounder was $2.99 for 12 ounces--that's two protein servings of quality fish for $1.50 each. Seek out you cut rate supermarket and stay out of the ones that call themselves "emporiums".

• Like 1

Buy herbs that you can grow indoors, so that you've got a longer lasting (and fresh) supply of produce for your money. Also, beans for sprouting.

Sprouting - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

That's a particularly cheap way of making sure you're getting fresh, healthy food (bean sprouts are phenomenally good for you). Plain old beans on toast is a very good source of protein and fibre.

Chick peas - again, great for protein and fibre. Buy a jar of korma sauce, mix it up with coconut cream (also very cheap) and it'll last you a lot longer. You can make chick pea curry with that. Good for you, healthy and v cheap.

• Like 1

There are body builders and Olympic athletes who are vegetarians. Google the topic and you should come up with menu ideas. Same with "complementary proteins". Beans and rice spring to mind.

• Like 1
Plain old beans on toast is a very good source of protein and fibre.

Ooh, yes, please. Heinz beans on toast! Yummy! I like a bit of brown mustard spread on the toast before pouring the beans on top.

Eggs are a cheap source of quality protein. Put on egg on top of your beans and toast for a feast fit for a king!

• Like 1

make peanut butter balls for a protein snack before or after working out. Keep them in the frig.

Peanut butter ball

1 cup of peanut butter

3 cups oats

handful of raisins

cinnamon (not required)

3 tablespoons of honey

mash it all together, then in your hand roll them into small balls

you can also add, sunflower seeds (very cheap) cocoa nibs (health food store) small bags are $2.00 All sorts of things can be added.

If they are a bit dry add more honey and peanut butter.

These are so yummy, kids love them too.

Use the leftover ingredients for breakfast, warm bowl of oatmeal with raisins honey and cinnamon.

Whole grain rice goes a long way. Mix it with sale veggies. The in season fruit and veggies are usually the cheapest.

Beans bags of potatoes, corn on the cob is really cheap. Check the frozen isle, lots of time they're on sale. Salad with kidney beans - very filling. Good luck. Post to let us know how you are doing.;)

• Like 1
I am on JSA and usually I have to give most of it to my mother for essentials as we are not exactly the most financially stable family in the world.

I'm finding it difficult to afford a healthy enough diet to perform adequate exercise. I'm not really a meat eater but I eat fish mainly. Are there any particular foods I can buy to last 2 weeks that are within the realm of £50 pounds?? I need to buy in bulk and my father has been teaching me to become "like a scientist" when it comes to choosing the foods to eat, so I want to buy healthier foods. I eat veg mostly anyway, but perhaps food to compliment that.

Any tips???

If you don't want to grow herbs inside as Tara suggested, you can freeze them after washing them and chopping them up. Tesco sells taragon, thyme, etc for about 70p or 80p, each will last you a month at least. Label them. Black pepper is great for adding taste.

Potatoes, onions, tomatoes, carrots, garlic, other root vegetables (Tesco will have specials on these, sometimes less than a pound for a week's worth - except for the potatoes)

You can cook the potatoes and root vegetables first, then put your oven setting on 'grill' and put the fish, onions, tomatoes and the vegetables together on the tray sprinkled with olive oil. Use herbs, black pepper and salt. Grill everything together until the fish is done, the juice that comes out from the fish, onions and tomatoes gives the rest of the vegetables a great taste too.

Learn to make gravey or white sauce with the fish. Squeeze fresh lemon juice on it.

Bananas, apples and pears are on special offer too often. Especially bananas. Buy them when they are green, they will last a while and they are excellent way to provide energy for your body instead of sugar.

Edited by Emilia
  • Like 1

Well, I'm not in the UK, so I'm not sure of how different food prices are over there, but I made a Crock-Pot meal last night that consisted of 6 large chicken breasts ($9.50), 1 can of coconut milk, 1 can of pumpkin, and a red onion + curry/cumin/pepper/garlic. The whole think probably cost around $13.00, and it was enough food for me (I eat a lot) and my gf (she eats a lot too) for one dinner. For one person, you might be able to make it last for 3-4 dinners. High in protein, moderate fat, low carb. Here's the recipe: Eat, Lift, and be Happy.: Pumpkin Coconut Chicken with Roasted Cauliflower

Another good cheap meal would be whole eggs+a can of chunk lite tuna, scrambled together. High protein, mod. fat, low carb.

Keep in mind that the more packaged or processed something is, the more expensive it's likely to be. Be sure to look at unit prices versus total price. Buying in bulk can help.

• Like 1

Bananas, apples and pears are on special offer too often. Especially bananas. Buy them when they are green, they will last a while and they are excellent way to provide energy for your body instead of sugar.

When they get brown and start to soften, cut them into one-inch chunks and freeze to use later in smoothies or melt some bittersweet chocolate and dip the chunks into it and freeze. Like ice cream bon bons!

• Like 1

Here's some advice that I know to be effective:

1) Always eat at home.

2) Eat on smaller plates. Put away your dinner plates and use your salad plates as your "dinner plates".

3) use this formula on said smaller plate (as if you were looking at it like a pie chart):

a) 10% should be "white space" -- nothing on it

b) 50% should be Vegetables. Not frozen, fresh and/or steamed would be best. Have variety in texture and color.

c) 15% should be carbs

d) 20% should be protein (fish and chicken are recommended)

e) 5% should be liquids this can include soup and/or drinks

4) Cut out sugary drinks like juice and soda altogether, drink water. And lots of it.

5) THROW AWAY ALL THE JUNK FOOD IN THE HOUSE.

6) Go grocery shopping AFTER a full meal. That way you'll only stick to things you need to stock up on instead of buying on impulse.

7) Eat Large breakfasts, medium sized lunches, and small suppers (Eat like a King for Breakfast, A commoner for lunch, a pauper for dinner...something along those lines)

8) ONLY EAT UNTIL YOU'RE ABOUT 80% FULL.

Good note on carbs: Whole wheat bread and/or brown rice is good, just remember to chew a lot before swallowing as they can be harsh on your stomach.

A diet really shouldn't be about the foods you eat but more about how you eat. As long as you keep to healthy habits, you shouldn't have problems.

• Like 3
  • Author
ThaWholigan

Thanks for all your suggestions everyone :D

It helps that I'm pretty handy at cooking anyway, so I will try and organize my diet well enough. I'm encouraged as I eat much of those things anyway, just not as frequently, I tend to eat in bulk as I have to be very mindful of my mum and brother in the house. I have a reputation of being the guy who eats all the food, and even though I have made a grave effort not too, I still get the blame :rolleyes: (it's usually my lil bro :laugh:, mum's always sticking up for me these days).

Nevertheless, I will be a lot more economical with my food, thanks guys :)

The thing to remember is that you can freeze so much or that a lot of vegetables will last if you fridge is set cold enough and you store them in the bottom. I rarely throw food away (meat never, out of respect) and you can eat wrinkly stuff, a lot of people forget that.

Simplify. Instead of being overly concerned with counting calories or measuring portion sizes, think of your diet in terms of color, variety, and freshness. This way it should be easier to make healthy choices. Focus on finding foods you love and easy recipes that incorporate a few fresh ingredients. Gradually, your diet will become healthier and more delicious.

Start slow and make changes to your eating habits over time. Trying to make your diet healthy overnight isn’t realistic or smart. Changing everything at once usually leads to cheating or giving up on your new eating plan. Make small steps, like adding a salad (full of different color vegetables) to your diet once a day or switching from butter to olive oil when cooking. As your small changes become habit, you can continue to add more healthy choices to your diet.

Every change you make to improve your diet matters. You don’t have to be perfect and you don’t have to completely eliminate foods you enjoy to have a healthy diet. The long term goal is to feel good, have more energy, and reduce the risk of cancer and disease. Don’t let your missteps derail you—every healthy food choice you make counts.

Healthy eating is about more than the food on your plate—it is also about how you think about food. Healthy eating habits can be learned and it is important to slow down and think about food as nourishment rather than just something to gulp down in between meetings or on the way to pick up the kids.

Eat with others whenever possible. Eating with other people has numerous social and emotional benefits—particularly for children—and allows you to model healthy eating habits. Eating in front of the TV or computer often leads to mindless overeating.

Take time to chew your food and enjoy mealtimes. Chew your food slowly, savoring every bite. We tend to rush though our meals, forgetting to actually taste the flavors and feel the textures of our food. Reconnect with the joy of eating.

Listen to your body. Ask yourself if you are really hungry, or have a glass of water to see if you are thirsty instead of hungry. During a meal, stop eating before you feel full. It actually takes a few minutes for your brain to tell your body that it has had enough food, so eat slowly.

Eat breakfast, and eat smaller meals throughout the day. A healthy breakfast can jumpstart your metabolism, and eating small, healthy meals throughout the day (rather than the standard three large meals) keeps your energy up and your metabolism going.

• 4 weeks later...

Any tips???

Even though we are financially ok nowadays I am hardwired into money saving techniques from when Hubby and I were broke.

Practically, Wednesdays evenings are a good time to buy meat and fish as they are reduced to clear. There's nowt wrong with the food but you can get a good range of food for often half price or less.

Buying frozen foods works well in terms of food such as salmon etc which typically is expensive when fresh. There is a good deal at one of the supermarkets at the mo where two packets of frozen salmon (with four fillet pieces) are going for £5. If that were bought fresh the salmon would cost double pushing triple that.

Make sauces yourself. Do Youtube tutorials and learn how to make your own sauces. Using the example of salmon there is a great video of salmon being cooked in a very sexy garlic butter sauce. I expanded on this idea and used the garlic buter to also make my own garlic bread using french bread from the Supermarket. :)

Mainly I would say it is a case of planning meals and then budgetting accordingly. Personally I think it is about building up spice ranges and trying new things and then you find you can whip up just about anything with a variety of ingredients.

Btw, being able to cook is very sexy in a male...

Hope others can give good tips too. :)

Take care,

Eve x

january2011

Use mysupermarket.co.uk to compare prices for the major supermarkets.

Use the food and groceries forum on moneysavingexpert.co.uk to get alerts on deals.

Lidl have half-price weekend specials - stock up on their meat offers especially. Don't think I've ever seen fish on offer unfortunately. Go to the fish counter at the supermarket rather than the main shelves - it's usually cheaper.

If you eat a lot of fish and have access to a car, make a late night/early morning trip to Billingsgate Market. It's where all the London restaurants get their fish:

Billingsgate Market

Aldi have their super 6 offers - stock up on fruit and veg.

Use your local markets - should be tons in South London, try Brixton market.

Also see if there's an allotment near you that might let you buy their excess produce for few pounds.

Asian supermarkets are great for huge bags of rice and dried goods like lentils and spices - even the ethnic food shelves of supermarkets tend to be cheaper than their main shelves - try the ones where there is a big ethnic population, should be plenty in South London.

Find out when your nearest supermarkets do their huge reductions for the day - usually just before they close or around rush hour time when most people leave work. I've read that people get loaves of bread for 10p.

Shop from supermarket basics ranges rather than their mid-price range or big brands - most things tend to be exactly the same from the same manufacturer/supplier, except without the fancy packaging. Be careful about the ingredients though as some are less nutritious than their pricier counterparts. However, you won't get much of a quality difference with things like oatmeal - a great start to the day and fills you up for cheap.

Ideally, you should eat fresh. But if you can't eat fresh, then your freezer is your friend. To eat more healthily, spend more time cooking from scratch rather than going for convenience/processed foods. Do batch cooking at the weekends and freeze, if you don't have time during the week to spend on cooking.

Learn to become a savvy supermarket shopper so that you know the price of things, when to stock up and buy in bulk.

Edited by january2011

Well I think the healthy and cheap diet is possible here . I would suggest that to rely on green vegetables and fruits that i think are not dear if we see it from health point of view. What is your opinion on that diet ? .

. Brown Rice

Brown rice makes a good side dish to almost any meal, and it is very inexpensive to make.

It’s also much healthier than white rice. This is because the milling and polishing process, which converts brown rice into white rice removes some (or all) of the B vitamins, other nutrients, and fiber.

2. Canned Fish

Fish is an extremely healthy way to get some lean trotein into your diet, but if certain fresh fish is too expensive, canned fish can be a good choice.

Canned salmon, for example, contains omega3 fatty acids, so it’s a great way to get some omega3′s into your diet, when you’re on a tight budget.

WilliamsTaylor

Vegetables can provide sufficient supplements to your body which is required by it. You can easy go for a vegetable diet as it is very healthy and contains less fat and calories than a diet which contains predominately meat.

FeelingLonely98

Cut out all meats = much lower costs and much healthier (as an added benefit). :cool:

• Like 1
michal123

low cost doesn't mean low quality. In fact, some of the most inexpensive things you can buy are the best things for you. If you like veg so eat Potatoes,Apples,Nuts,Bananas and Broccoli. Its not so Expensive but good for health. Always take a balanced diet with full of fiber,carbohydrates and vitamins. Its very important for our body.

Edited by michal123
  • 2 weeks later...

Any tips???

Over here they sell the bones of cows in supermarket after they took the meat away for very very cheap.

It's a very good soup base.

You boil this very well, and you use that in the soup.

They don't need to have meat on them.

The same for chicken parts, especially necks which is awesome for rice.

Rice is incredibly cheap here, not sure over there.

If you have relatives in the countryside, when you visit them pay a visit to a farmer in the area and see if they have stuff for sale for cheap.

Like vegetables, fruit, milk, cheese.

It saves them from getting it to the market, or selling it to a big company.

Stop buying anything processed, because not only is it more unhealthy but it also is way more expensive.

You can even make your own compost, and my dad taught me how to make my own smoked meats.

Smoked pork, smoked chicken breast, smoked ham.

My mom still collects all of the 1 pound jam jars for homemade jam, or zacusca, which is like boiled chopped vegetables like eggplants, bell peppers, some onions and then conserved. It's very good and we usually make like 20 pounds or more.

Rule of thumb, the more something is processed ... the crappier it is for your body and the more expensive it is.

lentil curry, soak them first, overnight preferably, onions, garlic, and Indian made curry blend, called garam masala, a teaspoonfull per person max, not too hot, boil them all up, take off the heat, let the food flavours marinade for twenty minutes, warm up again and eat = 30 pence a bowl, eaten by hippies everywhere, must drink milk to enhance lentils 8 point list of protein components into being the full 22

Edited by darkmoon

1. Brown Rice

Brown rice makes a good side dish to almost any meal, and it is very inexpensive to make.

It’s also much healthier than white rice. This is because the milling and polishing process, which converts brown rice into white rice removes some (or all) of the B vitamins, other nutrients, and fiber.

2. Canned Fish

Fish is an extremely healthy way to get some lean into your diet, but if certain fresh fish is too expensive, canned fish can be a good choice.

Canned salmon, for example, contains fatty acids, so it’s a great way to get so′s into your diet, when you’re on a tight budget.

Tuna is another good choice, however canned tuna does not contain significant amounts of. It is, however, still a very healthy source of protein and other nutrients.

Don’t forget about tinned sardines and mackerel, too. They can make a really quick, healthy lunch, when you’re stuck for time.

3. Oatmeal

Oats are a super healthy food, too, helping to keep down, and maintain a healthy heart. A half cup of dry oats each day may help to lower heart attack risk by up to 10 percent.

Oats may also have a role to play in controlling weight, since they help you to feel fuller for longer than other breakfast options, and they may reduce your risk of .

• 1 month later...

The healthy body and maintenance of our body is basically depends upon the food we eat and also the amount of work we are performing with our body. The unrealistic weight loss is not a good practice for the health and also for the body, It leads to various health problems. The proper diet should be followed with out neglecting and the food that we eat must consists of proteins , carbohydrates and all other nutrients required for our body.