women: your best weights?

Hi!

I am wondering what is a slim but realistic weight, for other women out there with a similar body type to me?

I know what is too thin and too large fro my body, and I seam to know the healthiest, yet slimmest weight I can be.. the balance between being very curvy and not " thin", but still " slim " looking....

I am 5 ' 5 ish, with large DD boobs, and a major bubble butt, that sticks out a LOT:) Which I love haha. I have a meso body type, with large, strong bones, and broad shoulders. I am not a huge build, however. I seam to look very curvy and " filled out" at 120 lbs onwards.

I have found that I look the best at about 127 ish; I am very slim, but in a very curvy and healthy way:) I can eat a lot to maintain it, and enjoy working out most days to be " firm".

My body is technically healthy at 120 lbs, but I have had an eating disorder, where I become mentally skewed it I get much under 120... therefore, just because my body type is healthy at 120, I would like to weigh more to protect myself from relapse.

WHAT is your happy weight? I am wondering what is a slim, but yet realistic and healthy weight for women these days?

I have been emotionally eating with no exercise, and turned 25 recently, and my metabolism has sent me to 130 lbs at the heaviest... I have not been this heavy in ages.

When I go to the gym most days and run or do cardio 30 mins or do cardio most days, eat normally ( 2000 cals), and do weights / toning 3 days per week.. I find I slip to a 128 with no problems.

It is just lately, when I eat what I want, and do little exercise, that my weight has recently crept up, over many months.

I'm a man. But I would say your best weight as a woman would be what ever comes naturally when you eat mostly healthy and work out at least a litte a few times a week.

• Author

Yes, I actually think of it like that too; eat healthily most days, a few cheat meals here and there.. work out most days...

I have a feeling about 57 kilos, which is BMI 20.8, is a very thin but healthy point, at which I have never had to watch what I eat especially.

The thing is, only about 2 % of women are naturally supposed to be BMI 20, according so some experts and literature.... I disagree though.. seeing as I am a strong build, by no means a small frame, and I look totally curvy at 57 kilos? lol...and do nto have st starve to be that weight?

Apparently, 70% of women are supposed to be naturally BMI 21 - 27; and half those women are BMI 22, 23 onwards...

There is no such thing as "naturally supposed to be". You are the product of your lifestyle. If you eat less or exercise more than you will weigh less than if you eat more or exercise less. "Naturally supposed to be" I've never heard such a stupid phrase in my life.

• Author

Pete - people have a weight range that is healthy for their body type.

A women cannot not just be 5'5, anormal build, and be 116 lbs, whilst eating in a way that actually satisfies them, and not over exercising...

120 lbs or 125 lbs would be a more realistic weight for women with a normal build - it allows us to work out and eat NORMALLY - not have to exercise like a maniac, and eat little.

I am just interested as to what womens " happy" but slim, weights are. For me, it is 57 kilos, as it is very curvy still, and I do not have to go hungry or over exercise....

And the statistics, based on the female population, stipulates that the OPTIMAL healthy weight, the weight at which a womens body is optimally healthy, is only a BMI of 20 or lower, in 2 % of women.

That is why, when women are BMI 20 or less, it makes me wonder " are they the 2% of women who can eat like a horse and ar enaturally thin? OR, do they eat like a bird, and work their butts of at the gym, to be a slim weight?"

For me, I just want to know what balanced women, like myself, weigh; women who want to work out a good amount ( cardo for 45 mins - 1 hour, 5 days or more a week) and weighs and/or resistance and toning type work, about twice a week. Eating in moderation, in combination with working out, yields the best results; I am not a fan of suffering just to be a few pounds better looking...

Leigh, I think you and I are shaped about the same. In my 20s, when I thought I was a DD, I was happiest at 130. Now that I am approaching 50 and my bust is 36H (now that I know how to get a properly-fitting bra when DD's were all that were available 20 years ago), I am at my best when I am between 135 to 140.

At one point in my life, I "got down" to 125 and I looked downright anorexic... I am better with a bit more flesh on my body.

• Author

I look great at 125, and I do not start to look too thin until I get to about 112, then look way too thin.. not emaciated or anything, just too slim for my body type.... while some think I have a good body at that weight also.

I am just going to: work out at least 5 days a week.. running every day, strength and resistance and toning 3 days a wee, and abs every day ( just a tiny bit each day is what I am after:))

If I stick to that fitness routine, and walk on top of it with my boyfriend whilst together, and eat in moderation ( I will NEVER give up pasta and toasted cheese sandwiches and pizza), I think I will br 125 lbs in about a month.

Right now, I dfo not feel healthy, as I am not active enough. Furthermore, I just quitt smoking. Smoking kept me at about 122 for ages, while I ate like a horse. I guess I smoked instead of eating as much:(

Ignore the scale and pay attention to the tape measure, which gives you a true picture of your shape. Weight can fluctuate day to day just by eating saltier foods which cause you to retain water. Your measurements are what you go by when you buy clothing, not weight. Someone with a great figure -- 36-24-36 -- could weigh the same as someone else who was 32-36-34 but look entirely different.

I also pay attention to how I look in photos rather than the mirror. In the mirror you see what you want to see. The camera doesn't lie (unless you use Photoshop).

Ignore the scale and pay attention to the tape measure, which gives you a true picture of your shape. Weight can fluctuate day to day just by eating saltier foods which cause you to retain water. Your measurements are what you go by when you buy clothing, not weight.

Yes, use a tape measure...

Someone with a great figure -- 36-24-36 -- could weigh the same as someone else who was 32-36-34 but look entirely different.

And for THIS reason, you should also use body fat measurements and not a tape measure alone.

• Author

Oh yes, body fat measurements and how I look are also things I should consider, and will do.

When I refer to weight, it is due to the fact that I know very very VERY well, de to my history of body obsession, what weight range I just look great at.

I know what is good, but slightly to slim, what is good, but not my best looking, etc.......

I Just look the best at about 55 - 58kilos, of course, I will factor in how intensively I work out, how well I eat, how flat my stomach looks, and how I look overall, once I start working out.

I have had a break from working out for ages, and unfrotunately, it will take a month before I start seeing results from working out every day again..........boo:(

Leigh, you've struggled with an eating disorder, correct?

I struggled with eating disordered thinking when I was younger. I recognize the thinking. You still sound overly concerned with weight--yours and others.

Throw out your scale. When it is necessary to refer to weight, do so in increments of 5 pounds (120, 125, 130). Just round up or down....it really doesn't matter.

Try to focus on things other than your weight and your body.

I don't agree about the "no scale" theory. I have found that when I DON'T weigh myself I gain weight very easily. But when I keep track of my weight, it gives me motivation to maintain a healthy diet and exercise because I can lose control of my weight very easily. Of course that is me though..everyone is different in what works for them.

I too have had an eating disorder and I fully admit I am obsessed over weight. HOWEVER, if I dont' watch closely and obsess then I gain weight. And that's not healthy.

So I say feel free to weigh yourself but don't freak out over weight fluctuation. Everyone gains and loses a few pounds here and there. It's normal. Instead give yourself a 5 pound "range" in which you want to stay at and make it your goal.

We all look different and feel different at different weights.

I am 5'7", 115lbs as of this morning. I have a gf that is the same height and 128lbs- and she appears thinner than myself.

I measure out to 27" under the bust, 24" around my waist, and 26" around my hips. My bra size is a 28H (european H). I still have flabby parts that aren't toned.

I have no bum:p

I'm 5'7" - very narrow and slim but with boobs.

I look best at 130 - which I tend to maintain nicely. If I even lose 2 or 3 pounds - I start to need to head to the little girls section of the store - I don't feel strong enough either if I lose those few pounds.

I eat healthy... But only tend to eat if I'm hungry - no nervous eating.

At 50 - I'm toned and in good shape. I have gals in their 20's that tell me they wish they had my body.

I measure out to 27" under the bust, 24" around my waist, and 26" around my hips. I have no bum:p

Are you sure that number is correct? Are you measuring at the widest part of the buttocks? I've heard kettlebells will build a bigger rear, which is why I never bothered. I'm always trying to make mine smaller so I remain in proportion as an hourglass.

I have a giant ass.

My measurements are: 34C-27-40

I am 5'8 and 155ish, which is a 10+ pound increase from my skinny-fat, pre-lifting days, but a weight I am comfortable at. I would not mind getting a little leaner tho.

I don't think anyone should go by weight, but measurements, appearance, and body-fat.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Author
We all look different and feel different at different weights.

I am 5'7", 115lbs as of this morning. I have a gf that is the same height and 128lbs- and she appears thinner than myself.

I measure out to 27" under the bust, 24" around my waist, and 26" around my hips. My bra size is a 28H (european H). I still have flabby parts that aren't toned.

I have no bum:p

AGH. SOmetimes, THAT IS WHAT I WANT!!!!!!

You obviously have a SMALL body type - small bones. If u did not, u would not be healthy at 120 or lower, at your height....

ON the other hand, I have a very CURVY body type!! I look really SLIM and model toned, at 120!!!! that is SLIM for me.

However, I have decided 125 is better, because I have a thicker, athletic build.

I have a great big butt and big boobs, and a curvy shape which I love.

My gial, I guess, is to be a TONED curvy!

Iw ant a flatter stomach, with my big butt and boobs.

I refer to weight, because 125 ish is great looking on my body type, and I can eat a lot.

Where as, with 115 - yes, I looked great... I did not starve myself, but I based on extensive research, my body was not 100% healthy at that weight!!!!

I was not starving or constantly hungry, however; extensive research shows, thaty only about 2 - 5% of women, are NATURALLY HEALTHY at BMI of 20 or LOWER.

Apparently, only women who have been skinny their whole lives, have sinny genes, and are a small build, should be 5 ' 5, and 120 or lower.....

I do not have a smal build, and I am curvy, so I figured, that while I am small ISH - I am not petite, and am just fit/ slim.

SOO.... Even though people complimented me when I was LOWER than 120, I realised that INTERNALLY - I would not be " OPTIMALLY" healthy.

• Author

Also, DE - LISH.

ARe you able to not exercise and eat 2000 calories, and maintain your slim weight?

U have stated that u work out like a maniac and eat little. How much do u eat and how much do u work out?

Did u know, that some women, who have the genes for an Eating disorder, are not able to do this?

WHat I find fascinating, is: two women can work out heaps and eat little, in order to be thin.

THey are both slightly too thin, for their build and body type... One girl has a normal mind set, and is simply thin; the OTHER girl developd an ED.

I am one of those girls, who cannot be thin for my build, because I get an ED.

THerefore, I have to be a bit ABOVE what my " best looking" , and slimmest weight is. Otherwise, my body and brain chemistry does not like it.

I love working out like a maniac, however; I do not like giving up eating... I like to eat decently, at LEAST 2000 calories a day. I am only 5 ' 4 ish.....

• Author

And, lastly: I AM FAR FROm disordered; I am very interested as to WHY some girls, I believe, starve themselves to a too thin weight for their body type, and DO NOT develope an eating disorder; while, on the other hands, girls like me DO get an ED, if we go too thin.

I actually only care about looking sexy, and being physically fit, young, and healthy....... when I refer to weight, i use weight as ONE guide; I knwo my body so well, and I know what weight range looks best and is also healthy for me.

People like me nee dto be careful. I happwen to love working out every day and looking AND feeling great and healthy.. however, if I get too thin, my brain chemiustry gets messed up......

I weigh myself once every two weeks, to make sure I do nto lose to much weight. I want to be at LEAST 56 kilos - 58 kilos.

I need to make sure that I have weight to SPARE, and that I AM ABOVE the bare slimmest that my body type will allow.

I'm petite with a fast metabolism. Keeping my weight up at 100 pounds is when I look best. My face becomes gaunt and my hands look skeletal any time I drop below.

I'm somewhere between 5'7 and 5'8 and have never been below 140 lbs in my adult life, though people usually think I'm quite a bit smaller. I have a decent amount of muscle mass and am a bit large framed to begin with.

My current weight is 155 lbs, and my measurements are 38D, 26, 40 at around 24% body fat. I have always had broad shoulders, and wide hips/a big bubble butt, but my stomach manages to somehow stay flat even with weight gain.

Oddly I think I look better at 155 lbs than I did at my lowest weight of 140 lbs a couple of years ago because I have more muscle mass now from weight lifting. However, weight training makes me hungry all the time so it's been harder for me to lower calories, hence the weight gain. I am hoping to lose about 10 lbs with most of it being body fat.

This topic is quite interesting. Thanks a lot for providing such a interesting information about the topic. This will really help the women to decide what is ideal weight for them

• Author

Medical research proves, that only about 2% of women are naturally BMI 20 or LOWER.

In other words, 55 kilos at 5'5, is apparently too low for a nromal build like me, and is only OPTIMALLY healthy, for smaller builds?

I have researched the topic extensively, as I overcame an eating disorder, and wanted to ENSURE I was slim, yet a healthy version of slim.

Fankly, I LOOK totally normal and healthy at 55 ish kilos.... I had talked at leangth with a doctor, who specializes in eating disorders, and she said that there is no chance that I am " optimally" healthy at BMI of 20. ONly naturally very thin people are apparently.

I disagree with her theory; and many other doctors do, also. I honestly think, that if you can eat a normal amount, indulge when u need to, but stoll remain fairly healthy and WORK OUT a lot ( an hour most days), then why the heck not be a slim weight?

The one doctor I spoke with, who provided me with the medical facts regarding weight, used the term " optimally" healthy. Meaning, if I work out a little harder, and eater healthier than the asverage person, I can easily be BMI 20, 55 - 57 kilos for my height, and be reasonably healthy, just not at in my BEST health.

She told me that ferttility and your life expectancy decreases, if you have a normal build, but enjoy working out, and are slim as a result.

I do not like this doctor anymore. In my opinion, she drastically over compensates, due to the fact she deals with people RECOVERING from an Eating disorder.

She says that u should eat as much as u can, and your body will naturally stop gaining once u reach your " set point". I think that it is a load of crap.

I mean, she reccommended that I eat 3000 calories a day, when I was only about 10 pounds underweight: she said I should KEEP eating 3000, UNTIL my body naturally STOPS gaining...

THis doctor confused me and annoyed me. That is why I am so interested, about women like me, who enjoy working out to look and feel great, and are thin as a result. Not sickly thin, but just slim and fit.. BMI of about 20. 21.

My doctor thinks if you are a normal build, with a normal body type and metabolism, that you should gain weight and work out, and MAKE SURE your nto BMI of 20.

WHatever. SHe only served to confuse me, and in the end, I am aiming to work out every day and eat reasonably healthy most of the time, so I can look good.

I know what it is to restrict calories, and I cannot do that these days, not that I have any urge to try.. I never even restricted when I was underweright, I just ate too litte for my large/medium build. I ate normal amounts, but my body needs more than normal.

So. I have stopped weighing myself, and will just eat healthily, eat junk when I need to,a nd work out every day:) I do like to weigh myself, but onlg once a monthy from now on. I do not miss weighing myself at all.

Talking with this particular doctor annoyed me and confused me, because she made out like a normal body type like me, should not be slim, BMI of 20 ( 5 ' 5, 120 lbs).

Leigh, a doctor who is trained and experienced with eating disordered people will be taking a unique approach to the whole issue of weight, food, and exercise than other doctors.