I need a good diet plan ! Anyone?

Hi all. I need someone to tell me of a really good diet plan for women? I'm having a hard time coming up with a healthy solution to go along with my working out. I need something that will help me lose some weight, and help tone my body. Any suggestions that worked really well for you??

I'm on South Beach and have lost 20 pounds so far...

Mostly giving up carbs, concentrating on leafy greens and proteins and very little sugar.

Wouldn't start any calorie restriction until you have been working out regularly for 2-3 months. Your body needs extra calories to replace fat with muscle. The extra muscle and higher metabolism may be all you need to get in shape. Focus on losing inches not pounds. Weigh yourself only once a week if that. You may even find that a diet is not necessary if you exercise correctly.

Instead of a diet now, make a change like cutting out all liquid calories and artificial sweeteners for a couple of months. It may be tough at first, but you will likely find sweetened beverages taste nasty and overbearing after a relatively short time. Another thing you can do now is start getting two cups of whole fruits (not juice) and 4-5 cups of whole vegetables into your diet every day. Eat these things before anything else, especially beans and veg proteins, and you will find the cravings for starch and empty calories goes away in a couple of weeks. Lettuce and white potatoes, don't count as vegetables btw.

If you are eating the proper amount of fruits and veg, and cutting liquid calories and artificial sweeteners, your appetite should quickly stabilize. For some fat and sugar cravings, you can buy dried fruit, almond and sunflower seed mix which is really tasty. When you have a sugar or fat craving, immediately eat a handful, then wait ten minutes, if still craving, eat another handful.

Sleep 8+ hours a night, drink two very large glasses of water every morning and every night, and normal water with meals. IMO, sleep, hydration, eating all your whole fruit and veg every day is so much more important than any magic blend of foods or meal plans. Good luck.

I've heard of the South Beach Diet. How long did it take you to lose 20 lbs ? ?

The initial weight loss of 8 pounds took two weeks, then the remaining 12 pounds took 6 weeks.

I am now losing one pound a week which is just fine by me; a slower weight loss means it will stay off versus water weight which comes right back on.

I started a new plan about two weeks ago and I have lost 8 pounds.

It is a mixture of what I have read and the food I like to eat. I have trouble going without carbs and only eating salads.... I need REAL food!!

I don't have a work out routine -- I just go on a fast paced walk everyday. Sometimes only 20 mins(when I am short on time) other days for an hour or so.

Here is what is on my meal plan:

Eggwhites - berries or fruit for breakfast

Lean meat (white or red) - pinto or black beans - mixed fresh veggies for lunch

Salmon or other lean white meat - lentils - pinto or black beans - mixed fresh veggies for supper....

One day a week - I give myself a FREE day -- eat whatever I want -- Pizza with the kids - the whole nine yards. I think I read this on a blog somewhere.

So far it is working for me -- keeping my carb cravings satisfied -- and the one free day doesn't make me feel so restricted.

Oh, and I drink water, black coffee or diet soda (try to keep this to a minimum).... no juice

Hope that helps.

Less carbohydrate and high in protein food diet. If you are going to the gym, I advise you to have some cardiac exercise first,for about a week. Just lessen what you used to eat, do not abruptly stop it. Regular exercise and discipline will really help. Do not deprive yourself, eat what you want once a week, this will help you not to crave for foods.

• 2 weeks later...

I have tried the South Beach diet myself and I found it very time consuming....it was hard to commit to for a long period of time.

Edited by Shellika
Wouldn't start any calorie restriction until you have been working out regularly for 2-3 months. Your body needs extra calories to replace fat with muscle.

While I agree with pretty much everything else you said, that's a huge misnomer that I quoted.

Your body is either anabolic or catabolic. Fat break down and muscle building don't occur at the same time. The one exception being a person new to heavy resistance training. Even then the period is a lot less then 2-3 months.

If you want to be big you have to eat big. Want to be small, you have to eat small.

OP, there's no such thing as toning. The more "toned" look results from a decrease to body fat. Your body decides where it pulls fat from, not your exercises.

I'm partial to low carb, but anything that cuts out all the crap is going to do wonders. By crap I mean anything refined,processed, or otherwise. Even "whole grain" stuff is pretty bad for you. Anything in the wheat family you're going to want to get away from ASAP.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, to lose weight you need to consume fewer calories than what your body burn. If you want to lose weight and look good, it's important to combine diet and exercise. The best exercise to tone muscle is weight training. Increasing physical activity and eat healthy is the key. try to intake more fiber and reduce high calorie and fat foods. Limiting calorie drinks can also help you reach your weight target faster.

• 2 weeks later...
I started a new plan about two weeks ago and I have lost 8 pounds.

It is a mixture of what I have read and the food I like to eat. I have trouble going without carbs and only eating salads.... I need REAL food!!

I don't have a work out routine -- I just go on a fast paced walk everyday. Sometimes only 20 mins(when I am short on time) other days for an hour or so.

Here is what is on my meal plan:

Eggwhites - berries or fruit for breakfast

Lean meat (white or red) - pinto or black beans - mixed fresh veggies for lunch

Salmon or other lean white meat - lentils - pinto or black beans - mixed fresh veggies for supper....

One day a week - I give myself a FREE day -- eat whatever I want -- Pizza with the kids - the whole nine yards. I think I read this on a blog somewhere.

So far it is working for me -- keeping my carb cravings satisfied -- and the one free day doesn't make me feel so restricted.

Oh, and I drink water, black coffee or diet soda (try to keep this to a minimum).... no juice

Hope that helps.

Do you work out or did you lose weight primarily by eating this way only? Looks like a great plan. Do you by chance know how many calories you were consuming on this?

• 2 weeks later...

I don't really have a diet plan, but one thing I do when I want to lose a few pounds, is instead of spaghetti made with pasta, I'll take a head of lettuce and break it up, and put a heaping amount of it on a plate. Then I'll heat some spaghetti sauce and pour it over the lettuce. The lettuce, of course, has much less calories than pasta, and it tastes pretty good too. The heated pasta sauce makes you feel like you're eating more than you actually are.

• 2 weeks later...

These are some of the tips which will help you to lose weight... If you follow these suggestions...

1. Drink Eight glasses of water everyday

2. Keep track of your progress

3. Variety may be the spice of life, but it also can be the downfall of a good diet

4. Smaller meals throughout the day rather then larger meals. If you eat smaller meals throughout the day, your metabolism will stay at a higher rate and you won't feel as hungry throughout the day.

5. Take citrus fruits like Orange, Lemon and Lime which has fat burning properties.

6. Do regular exercises like walking, and Jogging.

I hope it will be helpful to you...

I found that chewing each mouthful at least 20 times helped lower my consumption. And reducing refined sugars and fats, preparing food myself, and thinking before eating, "am I hungry or am I bored, emoitonal or eating out of habit?"

As others have said, regular exercise is good for reaching a healthier weight and body fat level. As well as the calories burned during exercise, and the extra calories burned to maintain the extra muscle mass, there is also the feel good factor as exercise improves happy hormone levels and that in turn reduces comfort eating urges. Exercise leads to eating healthier.

• 2 weeks later...