how much weight gained/loss makes a visible difference

loverofloveandstuff

As the topic says, how much weight do you have to gain or lose to make a visible difference for you?

I am 163cms and fluctuate between 47-50kgs. I guess I've been indulging in the holiday spirit a bit too much, at the moment I weigh 51kgs and I can hardly get my jeans on! There is a massive visible difference, and a mental one too. I just feel gross.

What about you?

Feelin Frisky

I don't grok the metric. I can only say that as little as 2 lbs on me is both noticable and feels significant. And I'm close to 6'3 and weigh...........enough. :p

I don't own a set of scales so I always go by how my clothes fit.

Granted it's not an exact science, but it's a good enough general guide for my purposes.

Feelin Frisky
I don't know... :(

I see myself every day, so I don't notice changes in my body shape or size...

You lean, man. Word. Your weight might change in milligrams. Us endo-morphs know from weight--the moon pulls our fat to one side or the other twice a day.

You lean, man. Word. Your weight might change in milligrams. Us endo-morphs know from weight--the moon pulls our fat to one side or the other twice a day.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Well about a month ago, my good friend and workout partner said I was skinny, so I decided to try to gain like 5-8 pounds in a couple weeks...had a visible gut for the second time in my life...ended that right quick...

Yea BDD! :laugh:

loveofloveandstuff - like you, I also notice a big difference when I am in the 50 kilos range ( 48 - 53). There is a huge difference when I was only 48, to when I am, for instance, 52.

I am 166cm and 52, and there is a visible difference when I am 50 kilo's. When I get to 48, I look very thin, and there is a huge difference.

I want to get to 50 kilo's, and I am sure you want to get back down to the 48 - 50 range too! Let me know if you wasnt to fast for a day.

Of course - it is healthier to just eat 500 less, OR to eat normally but burn off an extra 500 calories a day... but is is tempting to use a fast as a way to kick start things, so again, let me know:)

I am not aiming to get as skinny as you though, cos I have a medium build, with 32 D's.

By the way - your BMI at 47 kilos and 163 cm is 17.7 -- personally, I start looking slightly too thin at that BMI, so just be careful.

49 - 50 kilos puts your BMI at 18 and higher, which is statistically, much healthier than a sub 18 BMI.

BMI 18.5 is generally the lowest weight a person can be, whilst avoiding health issues; 50 kilos puts your BMI at 18.8 ish.

Although you are very lucky to have small bones. I have to stay at bloody BMI 18.9 - 19 to be healthy, grrr.

I'm slightly shorter than you and my weight went from 105lbs to 115lbs or so over the past couple of years. I swear it ALL went to my tummy, and, God help me, FACE. I can't think of a worse place for it to go. Quite visible and very annoying, despite the fact that I'm still on the lower half of the healthy BMI range!! :mad: 'Well-meaning' but rather uneducated relatives and friends have definitely noticed, judging by their comments on how I should 'slim back down'. Ah, well.

The worst part about all of this is that my bust increased a mere 1cm. Woe is me. :p

Edited by Elswyth

My mum is very critical of my weight and notices when I gain or lose 2lbs (and comments on it :(). At 55 she is within the 5lbs of the weight when she was 25 - she is quite thin.

I am not sure if others notice it on me but I can also immediately tell within 2lbs. I am 5'8"-5'9" tall.

Depends on what range the weight is in. I found that the closer you get to the goal, the more the pounds actually impact your appearance. There is a lot of fat stored in the organs of really obese people (I started at 320-325), so you can lose a lot of weight and feel a lot more fit, but still look relatively like the same mountain.

I'm around 215-220 right now, and every 5-10 pounds at this stage has significant effects on appearance. It's also more difficult and time consuming to achieve, however.

You can also have periods where you don't lose weight, but noticeably reshape and lose inches off of the waist. (likely reduction in body fat, increase in muscle mass, despite it's rarity/theoretical "impossibility") It's not all weight.

The most dramatic bang for the least amount of pounds depends on other factors too. If you're lifting weights properly, you'll get noticed faster as your body is reshaping itself. You could get visibly fitter and not lose a pound.

Also depends on starting weight. 5 pounds off a 300 pound man won't get noticed. 5 pounds off a 120 pound woman is a greater change.