abnormal pap? what does this mean

Hi

Im a healthy person for the most part. I eat well..not the best...but well. Im not sexually active right now. No reason...just not.

My pap came back abnormal. I have to go to the doctor. I dont have any real symptoms that i know of.

Anybody have a abnormal pap before? Some say it could be cancer or whatever. Im just a little confused about it.

twice the results of my pap come back marked as abnormal and the gyno calls me in for another test (i.e., gathering another sample). And the results excessive glandular tissue on my interior girly parts one time, and what looked like pre-cancerous cells another. The good news is that although your doctor is going to drive you nuts with a lot of follow-ups, it's just to keep a closer eye on things until the problem clears up. You know, better to be safe watching you like a hawk, and not sorry later.

if it helps, check with the gynecology office to see if they've gotten any brochures describing what constitutes an abnormal smear and what "level" your particular case is. Sometimes they'll do a procedure called a colcoscopy which hurts like a big dog because it feels like they're trying to pinch out a chunk of your cervix for a cell sample, but it goes really quickly and they do a local anesthesia on the area to be "trimmed."

a good rule of thumb is to not freak out unless your doctor determines it's time to freak out, because more often than not, it's not something so horribly bad that it won't mend on its own with a little monitoring.

when do you go for your follow up?

• Author
twice the results of my pap come back marked as abnormal and the gyno calls me in for another test (i.e., gathering another sample). And the results excessive glandular tissue on my interior girly parts one time, and what looked like pre-cancerous cells another. The good news is that although your doctor is going to drive you nuts with a lot of follow-ups, it's just to keep a closer eye on things until the problem clears up. You know, better to be safe watching you like a hawk, and not sorry later.

if it helps, check with the gynecology office to see if they've gotten any brochures describing what constitutes an abnormal smear and what "level" your particular case is. Sometimes they'll do a procedure called a colcoscopy which hurts like a big dog because it feels like they're trying to pinch out a chunk of your cervix for a cell sample, but it goes really quickly and they do a local anesthesia on the area to be "trimmed."

a good rule of thumb is to not freak out unless your doctor determines it's time to freak out, because more often than not, it's not something so horribly bad that it won't mend on its own with a little monitoring.

when do you go for your follow up?

Thank you so much for your response!! Im not freaking out at all. I havent told anyone in my family or friends. Im expecting to have to go to the doctor in the next couple of weeks. I think I will be fine. Im just surprised to know I had a abnorm pap. Im not a sickly person. Oh well.

I'm wondering if every woman's hoo-hoo likes to give her a scare like this, especially the older she gets? Because I think I've talked to a good number of women who've also had abnormal results with nothing major going on!

• Author

I really feel fine and dont have any symptoms so I dont know what they are talking about but we will see