Share your progress !

Hey guys, I want to start a thread about how goals, and how we are going about achieving them.

What things are you working on right now? Even those of you who ARE in good shape and do not want to lose weight, I know that even the most fit people always have things they want to enhance or improve.

For me: I am losing the last 2 vanity pounds. I know my body well, and over the years, I have pin pointed the exact weight that is the most optimal on me.

I am 116 lbs, down from 120!!! I am only looking to lose about 2 - 4 vanity lbs:)

I am currently losing the weight:) I am eating maintenance calories, but I am exercising a little more. I could not handle eating below 1600. I would become grumpy.

I am also aiming to improve my endurance, and plan to start running 2 - 3 days per week. I wan tto start at 20 minute runs, progress to 30.

I aim to maintain my muscles in their current state; I do not like getting too developed.

FOOD: I am aiming to start eating more red meat and protein. I have been eating too much raw organic chocolate im place of a balanced dinner. The choc is healthy though, but still, I need more meat.

What are YOU goals and how are you going about achieving them? Please share the progress you are making alonmg the way!

I am losing a little weight, the scales are going down slowly, and not going up!

have not started on my other goals as yet.

Truthfully to myself - my goal is to increase my "hotness rating" to attract me some sexy women :)

In June I weighed 200lbs - started calorie counting and exercising about 2000cal and once a week at first. That has progressed to about 1400 calories and 5-6 days a week consisting of 4 30min elliptical sessions and 2 weight training seosins. I also quit smoking after 10+ years during all this.

So presently I weighed in this morning at 167.8 lbs. I'm 5'11" w/o shoes and aim to reach about 160 by December.

• Author

Congratulations! Those are some great achievements! 1400 cals a day with exercise takes discipline, I know this! I am on about 1400 - 1650, WITH exercise. I plain to eat the same with less excercise once I reach about 114 lbs!

Your stats sound good to me, your ability to quit smoking, along with your goals you have with your fitness, are very attractive traits to me! It is a turn on when a man takes care of his health, and takes an active interest in it.

Those are some great positive changes you've made, BobDole. Congratulations!

My goals are primarily strength related right now. I'm hoping that I can obtain, by around Christmas:

Deadlift: 450 lb

Squat: 405 lb

Bench: 315 lb

All raw.

I think that I'm closest to the deadlift and bench. The squat is going to be the doosey (I'm 6'4", so squatting isn't my forte).

Eating more has been helping my strength gains, but I'm trying to do this without becoming a fat slob. So far, all my clothes still fit, so that's a good sign. ;)

Yikes...tman, at 6'4", squats are definitely not your friend...sometimes I'm glad I'm only 5'8"... :p:laugh:

Goal: Maintain constant state of shreddedness.

Progress: Done.

:rolleyes::laugh::laugh:

Yikes...tman, at 6'4", squats are definitely not your friend...sometimes I'm glad I'm only 5'8"... :p:laugh:

Goal: Maintain constant state of shreddedness.

Progress: Done.

:rolleyes::laugh::laugh:

Rub it in!! :p

Goal: Become as fit as my CF trainer

Timeline/Deadline: 4 years :laugh:

But really, I'm getting stronger and faster, but other than my legs I'm not SEEING a change. Grr.

At least I have no problem with squats! Being 5'4" is good for something!

long legs + squats = :mad:

My goals:

• master the front squat (I've stayed away from this movement for some reason and it's time to stop)
  • deadlift 200 lbs by January
  • maintain bodyfat ~14%
  • enjoy life!

Yeah, the whole long legged squatting kind of sucks... Oh well, what am I going to do, cry about it?

Chocolat, you're female, correct? If so, that 200lb deadlift is going to be cool.

My daughter is going no carbs for a couple of weeks ...so I'm not buying any or eating any in an effort to support her in this experiment. (She is 14 and I admire her will power but I prefer exercise to lose weight and think this will be proved to her).

So after I dropped her off last night I ate : ...like a loaf of toast.

Thats where I'm at. And Ive NO intention of telling my trainer.

Also, even though you shorties have the advantage squatting and benching, us tall guys can rock on the deadlift (mechanical advantage wise, at least). Plus, most of us are really really ridiculously good looking (shoots Blue Steel gaze). :p

Yeah, the whole long legged squatting kind of sucks... Oh well, what am I going to do, cry about it?

Works for me! :p:lmao:

Chocolat, you're female, correct? If so, that 200lb deadlift is going to be cool.

Yes, female - 125 lbs.

I hit 185 on a 1RM yesterday, so the 200 is very doable.

My daughter is going no carbs for a couple of weeks ...so I'm not buying any or eating any in an effort to support her in this experiment. (She is 14 and I admire her will power but I prefer exercise to lose weight and think this will be proved to her).

I would strongly advise against this...but it depends on the extent of no carbs...true "no carbs" is very difficult to pull off...and dangerous to do for an extended time...the most I'd ever no carb myself is a few days...

Plus, most of us are really really ridiculously good looking (shoots Blue Steel gaze). :p

I hate you. :mad::p:laugh:

Yes, female - 125 lbs.

I hit 185 on a 1RM yesterday, so the 200 is very doable.

That is quite awesome! :)

I would strongly advise against this...but it depends on the extent of no carbs...true "no carbs" is very difficult to pull off...and dangerous to do for an extended time...the most I'd ever no carb myself is a few days...

dangerous??!!

difficult to maintain in extended periods but not dangerous.

I've been out of the gym since may and just recently started going back. I got so sick while working out today it was humiliating. I felt like I was going to vomit then my vision went all stary to the point I couldn't see. The gym ended up calling 911 (humiliating) and then the paramedics said my blood pressure was so low they wanted me to go to the hospital. Made me sign a form saying I refused to go.

I basicly started feeling a lot better after I laid down pretty much perfect after 10-15 min my head ache and nausea went away and vission came back. I went to see my doctor who gave me my physical just this May. I've lost 10lbs since my last physical (sedentary life style) but he did an ekg and some test basicly told me I'm in perfect health and to not overdue it at the gym since I'm just going back.

Seriously I'm humiliated haha. I knew something like that might happen but I thought I had stopped in time. I just got dehydrated and MASSIVE lactic acid build up do to my just starting to work out again.

I was killing my work out too I was suprised but then BAM out of know where I felt so sick and just got worse and wors and worse and then I was better. F the gym for calling 911, then again very caring of them to look out for me. All nice people the paramedic who works for the gym said I probably didn't eat enough breakfast.

I'm just out of shape right now (still some what strong though)(and look good haha) but prone to sudden black out if I push to hard (which I didn't think I was) I was trying to work out to muscle failure and did!! almost complete failure

dangerous??!!

Hmmm, dangerous might not have been the right word...although I'm hesitant to say that it doesn't have its dangers...I would rather use the word "ineffective"...or maybe something that shouldn't be used as a foundation for one's diet...

dangerous??!!

A person who gives up all grains, vegetables and fruits (all carbs) is going to be missing out on a significant number of nutrients. Over time, that could be dangerous.

I've been out of the gym since may and just recently started going back. I got so sick while working out today it was humiliating. I felt like I was going to vomit then my vision went all stary to the point I couldn't see. The gym ended up calling 911 (humiliating) and then the paramedics said my blood pressure was so low they wanted me to go to the hospital. Made me sign a form saying I refused to go.

I basicly started feeling a lot better after I laid down pretty much perfect after 10-15 min my head ache and nausea went away and vission came back. I went to see my doctor who gave me my physical just this May. I've lost 10lbs since my last physical (sedentary life style) but he did an ekg and some test basicly told me I'm in perfect health and to not overdue it at the gym since I'm just going back.

Seriously I'm humiliated haha. I knew something like that might happen but I thought I had stopped in time. I just got dehydrated and MASSIVE lactic acid build up do to my just starting to work out again.

I was killing my work out too I was suprised but then BAM out of know where I felt so sick and just got worse and wors and worse and then I was better. F the gym for calling 911, then again very caring of them to look out for me. All nice people the paramedic who works for the gym said I probably didn't eat enough breakfast.

I'm just out of shape right now (still some what strong though)(and look good haha) but prone to sudden black out if I push to hard (which I didn't think I was) I was trying to work out to muscle failure and did!! almost complete failure

Hahahaha dude, that's a bummer.

You might want to increase your sodium intake, especially in your meals prior to training. Sometimes I think all of this "clean eating" and low sodium is highly overrated, especially if you're trying to maximize athletic performance. If you have naturally low blood pressure, a little extra salt should help you out.

What were you doing when you hit the wall, if you don't mind me asking?

Hahahaha dude, that's a bummer.

You might want to increase your sodium intake, especially in your meals prior to training. Sometimes I think all of this "clean eating" and low sodium is highly overrated, especially if you're trying to maximize athletic performance. If you have naturally low blood pressure, a little extra salt should help you out.

What were you doing when you hit the wall, if you don't mind me asking?

Well I was a member of LA fitness but quit because I moved. I havn't been working out for 5 months and on Tuesday I joined Golds gym (Really nice one). They talked me into doing their intro to the gym. So the first day was wednesday and I just took it light with a personal trainer and he showed me proper form for squats, bench pressing, dumbells all that crap. And we really did take it easy but even that had me a little winded.

Then yesterday when my 911 emergency went down they were showing me there circuit training. And basicaly I just kep going on one machine to the next as many times as I could or until he told me to stop usualy (20). I alway mad it to 20. Then when I made it to the last work out I said "I need to get some water" and he was like "its the last one" but I really felt winded so I went and got the water from the fountain (I should have brought water I normaly do) and when I was coming back from the water fountain I just kept feeling more and more winded and dizy and sick like I was going to throw up. Then I sat down and my vision left me and before u know it they had called 911 on me. The medic wanted to take me to the hospital based on my blood pressure the guy scared me but I didn't want to go because I was really feeling a lot better by the time they got there. Seriously I'm going to pick a secluded part of the gym to run off to if this starts happening again because I'd almost rather die then go through this **** again.

Like I said I went to my personal doctor who has my records later that day who in the past has said I am healthy and he did an ekg and said I'm healthy and probably just didn't eat right and am out of shape and need to take it slow.

damn humilating but every one was really cool with me. the guy who signed me up is an out of work fire man paramedic who now works at the gym and he came over and helped me (I didn't even realize he was there because I was blind at the time from stary vission) he said he though I probably just didn't eat the right breakfast. (all I had eaten was like cherios and milk with a bannana) When I was more into working out I used to have oatmeal with egg and peanut butter and a banana for breakfast and I always felt great for my work out.

Ah what ever I'll be going back to the gym till I'm back in shape the trick will be not stopping once I am in shape so I don't have to go through this **** again. The guys at the gym tell me I should be back in no time (muscle memory)

Hmmm, dangerous might not have been the right word...although I'm hesitant to say that it doesn't have its dangers...I would rather use the word "ineffective"...or maybe something that shouldn't be used as a foundation for one's diet...

Oh, its true, it is ineffective. Going NO carbs is really difficult, just good carbs is also difficult. For my daughter, if she wants to give it a whirl I support her and buy the foods (or not buy them) just to let her learn on her own that there are better, healthier, and easier ways to lose weight and be healthy.

Sure, Ive lost weight. But I know that I will regain it as soon as I start eating carbs regularly again. AND - without carbs..I am mentally just not as sharp if I go to long.

An absolutely no-carbs diet (i.e., ALL protein and fat) IS dangerous. It will destroy your kidneys and raise your cholesterol.

• Author

STAR - WHAT is cross fit loL! I am GOOGLING it later. Sounds hardcore. Why don;t you aim to BECOME an instructor haha.

GREEN - oh no I hope you are okay now! Be careful. Have you always been working out, or do you just look good without having to work on your body much lol.

ME: still about 116 - 117 lbs. I have decided to eat maintenance, but to exercise EXTRA. Cos cutting my calories and eating too little could lower mt metabolic rate. Plus I am a delusional weirdo when I only eat 1200 calories. WHIch is what I would NEED to eat, without exercise, to reach 114 lbs, my goal.

I am going for a walk soon, and also doing a 1 hour DVD later, that firms up each section of your body.

I may also add a hundred or so lunges and squats daily - I am alla bout my legs and butt - I DO NOT do bench presses or ANY shoulder work, cos my arms and shoulders dfo not need development; my legs and butt are the things I CONMSTANTLY can work on.

Leigh you realy should do bench presses it would help your overall body health. just bench the bar or some 15-20lb dumbells (if that works)

I used to work out regularly but I Had to do a lot of paper work over the past 5 months and used that as an excuse not to go to the gym. I regret it now.

I was really suprised at how sick i got. I went and saw my doctor and he said my heart was fine. I probably just got dehydrated and/or overexerted myself. (I really didn't feel I was working to hard but I should have had water with me)

Exactly what were you doing when you got sick/dizzy/nauseated? Cardio? Lifting??

• Author

Green, getting dehydrated and having low blood pressure can be culprits for fainting and dizzyness, among other things. I do not think it is that bothersome that sweamingly healthy individuals can just... feel dizzy and faint and off upon working out for the first time in a while.

I HATE shoulder work. I will never do it lol. I do LIGHT, low resistance arm work - I just do not feel comfortable developing the muscles in my arms. It is not right for me and my body.

On the other hand, I will do 100000 squats, lunges, and anything BUTT related.

I will also do at home Pilates DVD'S a LOT, and anything to do with my mid section.

SO stomach./core, and butt, THEN legs are what I work on. I use weights for legs and butt.

but I just don't want to change my arms any more through any kind of weights.

This is part of the fun of this thread; each person will have their own type of body, and hence different areas they need to target.

My mum is the total OPPOSITE to me; she has thick arms and needs to work hard on those. Where as I have small wrists and long slim arms.

I DO need to do some arm work, but carrying heavy bags daily is enough to get them toned.

I just went for a walk:)

I am VERY keen to lose those last 2 - 3lbs vanity lbs:)

I need to push myself harder. I have never really extended myself to the point where I am trying ... that hard:S Which is nto good considering I want to get into personal training again.

I have a really good idea of my body though and what parts I need work on, and I know the look i am after and am basically there.

I just desperately need to challenge myself a lot more, in terms of the exertion level.