What foods do you avoid?

Hi every one, I am making a lot of threads today haha, because I have moved to a new city, and until I meet a diverse range of people, I personally need to be in contact with a people, from all different walks of life, because I like talking to people and hearing what every one has to say about things.

TOPIC of discussion: What foods do you avoid?

Foods I avoid: any chemicals that have to be put together in test tubes and added to food.

I also avoid table sugar, but have honey and maple syrup in small amounts. Okay, sometimes I had too much, but I try not to, and although a unit of sugar is the same no regardless if it is table sugar or honey, or dates, I STILL feel that humans have been eating honey for longer than refined sugar and have therfore adapted to whole, more intact foods better than we have adapted to sugar.

I also avoid cows milk - Goats milk feels better for me, I do not know the details physiological reason why this choice is more ideal, however, I DO like the idea that goats milk, as well as most sheap milk, is not as commercially producted.

Cows milk is so common place, that it is produced on a huge scale, like meat is, and the aninals are not treated well, and I cannot support that.

I eat EVERYTHING ELSE. lol.

This is working for me, because my skin is normally clear and I glow with health. So avoiding refined sugar, and only eating food with real ingredients that are more in tune with how nature made them, works.

I have sensative skin and when I ate more chemical filled foods, more ksin was worse, and it was harder for me to maintain my weight.

SO; what DO YOU guys avoid? I have tried high protein; raw vegan ( only ate raw nuts, seedsm, avocado, raw coconut, raw frutis and vegetables), paleo style ( loads of meat, few sweet potato, and load of raw, but not cooked vegetables).

I have " avoided" lots different foods, at different times, but now I eat whatever I like, providing it is chemical free and table sugar free.

i do not eat doughnuts- one because they even though the taste good they are horrible! Mainly though cause they give me massive heartburn.

i also do not eat ice cream/ frozen yougurt/ even sherbet because they all make my stomach ache and make me wanna puke.

i do not eat fried foods too much- but every one and awhile i do.

Fast food--I don't eat bleached flour products like hamburger buns except on rare occasions, hate Julienne french fries (make mine big like Nathans), no coffee, limited soda, no donuts or empty calorie sweets, avoid aspartame, no Skittles or Starburst type of candy.

LucreziaBorgia

anything with a high sugar or HFCS content (exceptions are pure maple syrup and honey which I don't eat of lot of anyway), highly processed foods

I avoid all dairy products...with the exception of a little bit of cheese on a pizza...and ice cream...

And no, I'm not lactose intolerant...just a bad childhood experience with milk, and I hate the way cheese tastes and smells... :sick:

Shellfish because it will kill me. I'm not entirely lactose intolerant because I can have cheese and milk alone, but foods combining dairy and sugar (ice cream, cheesecake, and sugary cereals with milk) will make my entire digestive tract angry with me.

I also avoid chunks of tomato just because I don't like tomatoes. I'll eat anything else, in moderation.

Fast food because I hate spending money on things that I can cook myself for cheaper (and healthier!)... also anything deep fried or heavy in grease... for some reason deep fried/greasy foods give me a terrible headache.

Citizen Erased

I have an intolerance for egg. I was allergic to it as a kid but grew out of that. It just makes me nauseous now.

I don't like lollies so I never eat them.

My stomach can't handle a lot of fried food, and I'm lactose intolerant.

I've been looking into a gluten-free diet...since I was diagnosed with Lupus a few people have suggested it, including my rheumatologist. It's really hard though, gluten is in everything. Well at least everything good. :p

I try to avoid soda's and juices that aren't close to 100% real juice. I do struggle with the soda one so I try to substitute with Perrier. I try to avoid pork too. Other then that all is fair game :D

I try to stick with eating on the healthy end of the spectrum. While I do okay, I could probably do better on a consistent basis.

What I'm trying to do right now is cut down on sugar.

I'm vegetarian (not vegan) so no meat and fish.

I have cut so many things out over the years (sugar, flour, wheat, etc.). When I make a food illegal, I tend to binge on it.

My current strategy is not to worry about cutting things out, but putting healthy stuff in like veggies and healthy fats.

reservoirdog1

For health reasons, I avoid white bread, white rice, and white pasta. It's a rare thing in the last four months or so that I'll eat french fries or potato chips, for the same reason.

I don't eat mushrooms because I don't dig the taste, and the texture grosses me out. Always has.

The weird one: I don't like the un-altered taste of raw tomatoes. I like them on burgers and sandwiches, I love sundrieds, salsa and tomato pasta sauce. Hell, I even like them with bocconcini, basil and balsamic. But the straight-up, unaltered taste... nope.

Fast food, junk food and anything processed. Cooking is so easy and fun to do, once you get the hang of it. This ensures that you know exactly what ingredients you're eating.

For health reasons I avoid:

Fast food

Coffee

Soda

Red meat

Pork

Whole milk

White bread/white pasta

Candy

Out of pure dislike I avoid:

Condiments (mayo, mustard, etc)

Salad

All but a few fruits

Everything else is fair game. I don't cut/limit anything to keep my weight down; my metabolism takes care of that.

I try to avoid processed, refined and bleached foods.

I also don't eat red meat or pork.

But I'm a big believer in moderation. (except for pigs and cows - I just don't like 'em)

I avoid resteraunts like Fridays, Applebees, Chillis, Hooters... iHop... you get the point... ****y chain salty processed food resteraunts...

To a lesser extent I avoid Olive Garden, Maccaroni grill type places... but still not my fave..Carabas is pretty good though

I avoid Fast food ALL OF IT... McDonalds, Wendy's, Burger King, TACCO BELL, Pizza hut, KFC, Long John Silvers... you get the point but in case you don't I'll name a few more of the most popular ones I avoid like Subway (yes fast food not fresh), panda express, Moes.. u get the point

I also try to avoid all processed foods (even though I know I don't) Like for dinner I ate a rotisery chicken I bought at Costco (which probably had **** in it) and a roll of bread I bought fresh made at my supermarkets bakery (which probably had **** in it but it tastes way better then the stuff in the bread aisle) and I had a salad with a dressing I made myself using extra virgin olive oil.

My gf on the other hand adds store bought (Mrs. Cubbisons) classic seasoned rstaurant syle croutons to add to her salad. The bag ironicly reads since 1948... which is ironic because there is nothing 1948 about these.

The crutons have <High Fructose Corn Syrup>(poison) <Natural Flavors> (poison) <Partially Hydrogenated Soybean Oil with TBHQ for Freshness> (poison)<Maltodextrin> (all signs point to poison)<color> (it said something likeDisodium Inosinate and Guanylate extracts of annatto and turmeric) yeah thats a mouth full... oh and all the ingrediants aren't listed Like Natural Flavors isn't an ingredient its code for chemicals that taste like something real and we arn't putting the ingredients on mmmkay. WTF are all those ingredients doing in CRUTONS...

Yeah so not only do I avoid these foods but I urge all others to do it too.

Edited by Green

Unfortunately, I rarely avoid any food these days. Especially free food. I don't have the time to avoid food with school and work (80 hours a week). My problem is finding time and money for food.

Usually, I avoid:

wheats, oats, etc. - because of the gliadin content and high glycemic load

potatoes - because of the glycoalkaloids and high glycemic load

I substitute with turnips. Did you know that the original South American cultivators of the potato did not eat them, but fed them to prisoners instead?

corn and rice - high glycemic load

Unless I have exercised excessively. In which case, glycogen levels need to be replaced. I would tend toward rice to achieve this.

legumes, peanuts, cashews - I have a distaste for beans in general. I avoid these items because I think the proteins are inferior to meat and sometimes dangerous. Did you know that cashews contain the same reactive chemical that causes poison ivy rash? I'd rather snack on almonds, pecans, walnuts, brazil nuts, etc.

dairy - I love cheese. This is a tough one for me, but it's sort of obvious. The milk of other mammals is a recent source of calories and not really great for humans. Milk is low glycemic but proteins in milk result in insulin response and negative metabolic effects besides lactose intolorance. There is enough evident to suggest that dairy intake is responsible for several diseases from autism, diabeties, and even acne.

other nightshades - like the potato, tomato, and new health food craze the Gogi berry, nightshades have harmful glycoalkaloids. When introduced to the immune system, your Tcells and Bcells might activate, and through a process of molecular mimicry, develop autoimmune activities.

Auto-immune diseases have been an epidemic for centuries and are just getting worse. I'm almost certain you know someone in constant suffering because of diabetes, rheumatoid arthritis, lupus, MS,....

You don't want these things.

• Author

GREEN - The ingredients in those crutons is EXACTLY my point, in regards to chemicals. I eat bread, pasta, and pizza, but only fresh bread of whixch lists all the ingredients on the packet so I can see it.

And finding chemical free pizza bases, pasta sauces, and breads is easy once you find a few brands.

SHADDOW MAN - what r u studying? Is it food related? I ALSO have, in the past, avoided grains, dairy, and nightshades; I was very strict!

Now I use salt free tomato paste almost daily, to dip my sweet p[otato thick cut french fries in; hey, I avoid grains and use sweet [potato and fruit as a source of carbs, so I have to pick the lesser of the evils!

I also avoid legumes. I avoid cows dairy, but do eat goats milk products, and sometimes sheap.

I have studied paleo-nutrition as a layman for the past 10 years. Recently, I have been working on a bachelors in Biology. I'm focusing on immunology, nutrition, and agriculture. Once I am finished with the bachelors, I plan on grad school for one of these subjects.

Sweet potato is a great substitute for potato. I don't know much specifically about them but the tradition nutritionalists praise them. I dislike them mostly. I prefer carrots, turnips, parsnips, etc. as staple root veggies. Quicker cook time too.

Tomato is a nightshade fruit. There is nutritional concern about glycoalkaloids and tomato lectin. Because they are mostly water and therefore not a staple source of calories, most people use them as a favor enhancer. Such small quantities might not impact your health too much, but the very compounds which might be the source of the flavor might be negatively impacting your digestive system.

• 2 weeks later...

Leigh...I'm curious about your introduction to these concepts. Especially the no dairy, no legumes. Is there a source which turn you onto these exclusions? Have you ever read anything by Dr. Loren Cordain?

• Author
Leigh...I'm curious about your introduction to these concepts. Especially the no dairy, no legumes. Is there a source which turn you onto these exclusions? Have you ever read anything by Dr. Loren Cordain?

I don't remember the sources from which I gathered the info from. I went onto google and just typed in " paleo nutrition" and " evolution and diet" and other related key words.

I have read that things like grains, legumes, dairy, and even things like peanuts, cashews, and tomato's, are all " new foods" in the scheme of our evolution, and therefore our bodies have not adapted fully.

I don't eat grains daily, and eat a lot of nuts, nut butters, sweet potatos ( for carbs) and raw fruit and vegetables, with no more than a palm sized portion of animal protein.

I so eat goats milk dairy daily, though. Because I like it.

I eat a lot of raw chocolate, too, which is just cacoa and cacoa butter, w. natural vanilla and agave nectar.

Now days, I do not necessarily think the way in which I eat is IDEAL., but I just don't care as much - I DO think, however, that such things as chemicals and the REALLY newly created, man made additives to foods, are TRULEY evil.

I do not think our bodies could have possible adapted to and become SUITED to all the new chemicals floating around in our food and air and the general environment.