'HEY look at that!' moments

You know, those moments when you realize that all this working out/dieting stuff is paying off and you notice results. I realize I'm in the minority here as most of the people in this forum (or at least the 4-5 regulars) are already in shape and not working toward it, but I'm sure everybody has something to add.

I had 2 today

Shirt I shrunk in the wash accidentally back in November now fits perfectly :eek:

I've been using the stairmaster/treadmill at the gym for the past 2-3 months, so the elliptical in the basement hasn't been getting much use (by me, the rest of my family still uses it) but tonight I didn't feel like going all the way to the gym and instead got on my 20 minute run setting (personalized with weight/resitance/hills/etc) and it was SO easy compared to how I remember it. :D

post yours!

I have so many, can't even name one. The most memorable:

-. handstand push-ups (wow, did I just do that?) - I did it 2 months ago and I fell flat in my face. People actually rushed to help me, I was soo embarrassed.

-. I can run outside for 5K. I did my first 800 M in February and was stressing that I would die or I wouldn't finish but now, gosh, I feel like I should sign up for half marathon or something.

-. I can do bridge. I remembered when I did Power Yoga in November last year and one of the DVD (Rodney's Yee Power Yoga) had this movement. I couldnt do it and when I tried, I feel like I just pulled a muscle, now I can even do bridge push ups, even on one bad ankle and all that.

Many many things to be honest, but mostly, everyone says I look happy & fit, which I am. funny thing is that everything in life is better, which is pretty telling because I have the same job, the same family life, the same everything but I hardly feel blue these days (other than yesterday when I sprained my ankle but I bounced pretty quickly). Plus, I also make a lot of friends in the gym, a lot of gym buddies. I don't exactly look for friendship but since I gain 2 very good women from my gym and we get pretty close these days (in addition to my other circles).

I realize I'm in the minority here as most of the people in this forum (or at least the 4-5 regulars) are already in shape and not working toward it

Everything is relative. I'm sure that somewhere in China or deep within some former Soviet bloc country, there a little 12 year old girl warming up with my maxes on all the lifts.

There are always people who are stronger, faster, better conditioned, better built, etc. than you (and me, and everyone else). A fitness lifestyle is just that: a lifestyle. There is no end. Things may change throughout as far as goals, but there is no finite element to it, especially if you see results and meet your goals.

Read everything, try everything, but take what works for you and what you like, and discard the rest. Your goals should evolve over time as your knowledge and interests change. Trust me, you won't get to a certain point in your training and start thinking to yourself, "ya know what? I think I'm good enough." Or, I guess I should say that if you do, you might as well quit. Stagnation is death.

i agree tman, you never say, hey, i'm the best i can be. look at jay cutler, was always blocky looking even though he won 2 mr. o's. got a new diet coach, and HOLY CRAP, don't even look like the same man. reason he won #3

I've been lifting heavy.

Well, my shirts get tight as I build muscle, then get loose as I burn fat.

It's a weird process that has repeated itself over & over the last 4 months.

This weekend I did 50lb dumbell presses for reps.

Today when I got out of the shower I actually saw the muscle on my shoulders moving while I was towling off!!

I was like WOAH! can't remember ever seeing that.

Setting on a friends porch eating deep dish pizza and drinking beerz on a perfect spring night

(and not worrying about calories)

Setting on a friends porch eating deep dish pizza and drinking beerz on a perfect spring night

(and not worrying about calories)

Great job. What an astronomical accomplishment.

If you want to mock those here who are posting their gains, why don't you go ahead and post some videos of your lifts/physique?

I'm sure we will all marvel exceedingly.

Great job. What an astronomical accomplishment.

If you want to mock those here who are posting their gains, why don't you go ahead and post some videos of your lifts/physique?

I'm sure we will all marvel exceedingly.

Ok stud here is me getting a little beach time:

http://tinyurl.com/kwy2n3

Tinman666 you feeling a little sensitive or a simply a case of roid rage?

If you were not so entrenched in this manly-man heman ethos that you could allow your self a possible shift in your perspective you could see that there was no implied or explicate attempt to mock.

For some the engagement in fitness goes beyond personal best, numerical notches in the belt, nor some external exaggeration of internal insecurity. The rewards of forging a fine fettle, or at least improving upon it, is the social physiological of how one feels. The sense of comfort to engage in life knowing one has achieve a balanced that works for them. Hence, have a good night, engaging in less then "clean" behaviors without the nagging voice suggesting that you are not allow to.

In other words, the personal "gain" of finding comfort in one owns skin, even if it is not the tightest, most powerful, or the most muscle is a valuable, if not more so, as anything measurable. Achieving that "gain" is one that is often alludes most people, include the most obsessive gym rat who focus on measurable "gains".

Now here is a mock:

How many weight lifters does it take to change a light bulb?

6... one to change the bulb, the other 5 to yell; "your looking huge man, your looking huge" while he does it.:D;)

annxxdisaster

I told an ex of mine once (who was into lifting) that my belly dancing teacher had better abs than he did. He told me to go sleep with her then. We made fun of each other a lot in that way, but when it came to his lifting I had little sympathy for making him feel a little bad. I had to put up with a lot of mood swings (worse than anything I did when I had PMS) because he would refuse to eat for days, take these testosterone boosters, and get disappointed in seeing me because we would have to use condoms because I was on antibiotics to cure a UTI that I probably got from having sex with him anyway. :|

Ok stud here is me getting a little beach time:

http://tinyurl.com/kwy2n3

If you were not so entrenched in this manly-man heman ethos that you could allow your self a possible shift in your perspective you could see that there was no implied or explicate attempt to mock.

For some the engagement in fitness goes beyond personal best, numerical notches in the belt, nor some external exaggeration of internal insecurity. The rewards of forging a fine fettle, or at least improving upon it, is the social physiological of how one feels. The sense of comfort to engage in life knowing one has achieve a balanced that works for them. Hence, have a good night, engaging in less then "clean" behaviors without the nagging voice suggesting that you are not allow to.

In other words, the personal "gain" of finding comfort in one owns skin, even if it is not the tightest, most powerful, or the most muscle is a valuable, if not more so, as anything measurable. Achieving that "gain" is one that is often alludes most people, include the most obsessive gym rat who focus on measurable "gains".

Now here is a mock:

How many weight lifters does it take to change a light bulb?

6... one to change the bulb, the other 5 to yell; "your looking huge man, your looking huge" while he does it.:D;)

Hay guyz, sorry bout the roidz rage. I'm on this new stuff you prbly havn't herd about called createanze (totally a type of steroid, but plz don't tell the FBI on me cuz I'm so swole), and I'm really aggressive now.

Ok in all seriousness, I hear what you're saying. I was just bent out of shape because it seemed like you were making a jab at those posting their accomplishments.

My apologies.

laRubiaBonita

when i get complements on my arms- especially my triceps and especially from fit guys! :cool:

me: "got your tickets yet?"

you: "tickets to what?"

me: "to my gun show!"

Hay guyz, sorry bout the roidz rage. I'm on this new stuff you prbly havn't herd about called createanze (totally a type of steroid, but plz don't tell the FBI on me cuz I'm so swole), and I'm really aggressive now.

Is that anything like crazeatine? If so can you hook me up, I love the juice.;)

My apologies.

No problem, it's all good.

I told an ex of mine once (who was into lifting) that my belly dancing teacher had better abs than he did. He told me to go sleep with her then. We made fun of each other a lot in that way, but when it came to his lifting I had little sympathy for making him feel a little bad. I had to put up with a lot of mood swings (worse than anything I did when I had PMS) because he would refuse to eat for days, take these testosterone boosters, and get disappointed in seeing me because we would have to use condoms because I was on antibiotics to cure a UTI that I probably got from having sex with him anyway. :|

I used to bellydance and majority of ppl including the instructors don't have hard abs, in fact, those little pouch help us when we do the belly roll.

Not sure how is this related to the thread or whether you are educating us about the danger of roids or you are implying that majority powerlifters are moody or maybe just random thought about your ex ;).

But it seems that there are a lot of stereotypes of people who embrace powerlifting. Personally, I dislike Tracy Anderson type of approach (eat 800 cals a day and women do not lift more than 3 lbs dumbbell but hey, to each on her own right?)

I have a lot of respect for women who embrace powerlifting to make them stronger & fitter.

If I have a penny for everyone who said, "OMG, you will look like Arnold" everytime I told them that I lift, I will be very rich by now. No one in my gym looks like Arnold, some of them even look like ballerina dancers and I'm not kidding, one of them is a model, with a beautiful slender/feminine body (but can deadlift 2X of their bodyweight).

And no, I'm not moody either, quite opposite, I think fitness changes my life :). So yeah, I am sure for everyone one of your ex, there are 100 or thousands of people who find that getting stronger/fitter is one of the best feelings in the world and in turn, help them to cope with all difficult turns in their lives.

annxxdisaster
I used to bellydance and majority of ppl including the instructors don't have hard abs, in fact, those little pouch help us when we do the belly roll.

Not sure how is this related to the thread or whether you are educating us about the danger of roids or you are implying that majority powerlifters are moody or maybe just random thought about your ex ;).

But it seems that there are a lot of stereotypes of people who embrace powerlifting. Personally, I dislike Tracy Anderson type of approach (eat 800 cals a day and women do not lift more than 3 lbs dumbbell but hey, to each on her own right?)

I have a lot of respect for women who embrace powerlifting to make them stronger & fitter.

If I have a penny for everyone who said, "OMG, you will look like Arnold" everytime I told them that I lift, I will be very rich by now. No one in my gym looks like Arnold, some of them even look like ballerina dancers and I'm not kidding, one of them is a model, with a beautiful slender/feminine body (but can deadlift 2X of their bodyweight).

And no, I'm not moody either, quite opposite, I think fitness changes my life :). So yeah, I am sure for everyone one of your ex, there are 100 or thousands of people who find that getting stronger/fitter is one of the best feelings in the world and in turn, help them to cope with all difficult turns in their lives.

Just a random thought, if anything I would assume your emotions and moods are much more calm and relaxed if you do any sort of fitness. I know for me whenever I finish up a work out I always feel waaay more relaxed. I have no idea why he even went to the gym, to be honest, well besides to work out.

I, in no way, was trying to say anything bad about the majority of people who lift or do anything. Just a small rambling of my experience with someone who dedicated a majority of his time to lifting. My teacher's stomach isn't flat, but I still stand by my idea that her abs are better. She's been doing it for years, she has to have more control over those muscles than some punk who's been working at them for 9 months.

In fact, I recently joined a gym a few weeks ago and am exploring what my goal of being there is. Obviously, it's to get into better shape but I'm on the same boat with you (as far as women lifting). The idea of being stronger and being able to lift heavier weights is one of the main motivators for me even wanting to go workout.

In fact, I recently joined a gym a few weeks ago and am exploring what my goal of being there is. Obviously, it's to get into better shape but I'm on the same boat with you (as far as women lifting). The idea of being stronger and being able to lift heavier weights is one of the main motivators for me even wanting to go workout.

Awesome! yeah, when you are stronger, you also find that you can do things (like running or steady state) easier too (at least in my case, and I hate running! lol).

I have no definite goals, it changes every week lol (sometimes 1 pull ups, sometimes 100 push-ups, sometimes run 5 k under 30 mins lol) but I know, the powerlifting really helps me in achieving whatever goals I have for hte month so I don't want to let go as part of my routine. Good thing that I've seen more and more women are more open minded about lifting heavy.

• Author

hey cuppa what is your livestrong username so we can get on there and start doing our challenges, I'm assuming they have some sort of message system.

Actually got 18.5 total miles in this past week, including two runs while I was out of town. Am working toward a 10K in June.

One treadmill run was a 2/10th of a mile off of my best 5K time. I have some time to make up but I'm close and a treadmill run cannot equate to the thrill of running a race.

hey cuppa what is your livestrong username so we can get on there and start doing our challenges, I'm assuming they have some sort of message system.

userid: lindahwa - you can search on the members directory

I joined a few dares (100 push-ups, etc) but haven't made any progress because I've been resting my ankles - sucks.

Btw, I did t-man challenge the other day (texas push-ups + squats + planks). Must be my ankle or something, my legs gave up on me after 2 rounds :mad:.