LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > Mind, Body & Soul > Physical Fitness, Health & Weight Management

Replacing two meals a day with protein shakes?

Physical Fitness, Health & Weight Management Staying fit and physically healthy is essential! Remember, we aren't subsitutes for your physician! As always, talk to your doctor before following any suggestions or advice!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17th April 2010, 2:11 AM   #16
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueeyedJonesy View Post
Op, I love making my own protein shakes. yes, they work..and sometimes you are getting a much better meal than you would be if you just grabbed something quick. when I really want to slim down...for events or even just after the holidays I want to drop a small amount of weight I will replace dinner with one and it always works..no you can't depend on shakes the rest of your life..thats unrealistic. BUT I think its a healthy step in the right direction. Good luck!
Yep, I think that people are confusing protein shakes that you make yourself with meal replacement thingies that you can buy. If you ask me, for 330cal, you will be hard pressed to find nutritionally better meal.
SadandConfusedWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2010, 3:00 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by SadandConfusedWA View Post
Yep, I think that people are confusing protein shakes that you make yourself with meal replacement thingies that you can buy. If you ask me, for 330cal, you will be hard pressed to find nutritionally better meal.
Actually, for 330 calories, you'd be drinking a pretty nutritionally incomplete meal.

You're always better off eating whole food, than yogurt which is loaded with sugar, and canned pineapple (also loaded with sugar).

For example, for breakfast, you're better off eating oatmeal (NOT the sugary packets but real oatmeal, about 80 calories a serving), 2 scrambled egg whites and a whole egg (120 calories) and turkey bacon (20 calories a slice). You can even have some orange juice (80 calories). This breakfast comes to less calories than drinking your yogurt shake. Wouldn't you rather eat all that REAL whole fresh food? You'd be getting fiber, vitamins, minerals, protein, and healthy (complex) carbs.

Also, how much additional protein are you ingesting per day? Because most people don't need protein supplements. If you eat too much and you don't have the muscle mass that requires it, then the excess can strip the calcium from your bones and stress your kidneys. Honestly, the ONLY people I have ever seen that need protein powder are body builders and fitness competitors. Most people get plenty from the food they eat.

If you have an existing physical condition that limits your activity, and are prone to weight gain, then I also recommend you contact a dietician as well as a personal trainer who can design a fitness routine for you. Swimming, btw, is one of the best exercises you can do, as it works all your muscle groups, and with the benefit of no impact. So, if you like it, and have access to a pool, GO FOR IT!

I think it's great you're taking control of your health. Just make sure to make the kinds of changes that you will be able to stick with long-term, rather than a quick fix.
Jilly Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2010, 5:15 AM   #18
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jilly Bean View Post
Actually, for 330 calories, you'd be drinking a pretty nutritionally incomplete meal.

You're always better off eating whole food, than yogurt which is loaded with sugar, and canned pineapple (also loaded with sugar).

For example, for breakfast, you're better off eating oatmeal (NOT the sugary packets but real oatmeal, about 80 calories a serving), 2 scrambled egg whites and a whole egg (120 calories) and turkey bacon (20 calories a slice). You can even have some orange juice (80 calories). This breakfast comes to less calories than drinking your yogurt shake. Wouldn't you rather eat all that REAL whole fresh food? You'd be getting fiber, vitamins, minerals, protein, and healthy (complex) carbs.

Also, how much additional protein are you ingesting per day? Because most people don't need protein supplements. If you eat too much and you don't have the muscle mass that requires it, then the excess can strip the calcium from your bones and stress your kidneys. Honestly, the ONLY people I have ever seen that need protein powder are body builders and fitness competitors. Most people get plenty from the food they eat.

If you have an existing physical condition that limits your activity, and are prone to weight gain, then I also recommend you contact a dietician as well as a personal trainer who can design a fitness routine for you. Swimming, btw, is one of the best exercises you can do, as it works all your muscle groups, and with the benefit of no impact. So, if you like it, and have access to a pool, GO FOR IT!

I think it's great you're taking control of your health. Just make sure to make the kinds of changes that you will be able to stick with long-term, rather than a quick fix.
Thanks for the info Jilly - much appreciated.
SadandConfusedWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2010, 6:11 AM   #19
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jilly Bean View Post

I just wanted to clarify these things a bit.

Oatmeal 1 serving is 1/4 cup dry then prepared with just water. No milk, no sugar. It is actually 150 calories for steel cut oats.

eggs have to be prepared correctly with no butter, oil, margarine or salt

People think Oh I'll make an egg white omelet and make it swimming in butter. Pretty pointless when you ruin it.

I'd skip the orange juice too. Way too much sugar

Put some diced peppers and mushrooms in the eggs

Eat an apple or half a banana for fruit

To OP what is your health condition?
SarahRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2010, 8:14 AM   #20
Established Member

No, please don't! Those shakes don't contain ALL the nourishment that you need from a balanced diet. There are so many healthier ways you could lose weight. I mean, taking them sometimes is probably okay, but now you're essentially taking 1 meal a day + 2 protein shakes???
Elswyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2010, 9:11 AM   #21
Established Member

The problem with all those 'shakes' 'diets' etc..etc.. is that the person will only do this for a while.. then they gain all their weight back... why all this torture for nothing.

The ONLY way is to change your lifestyle... your eating habits.

sometimes people lose a bit of weight with those 'diets' then go into a rage of sugar, etc.. gain all the weight back.. feel bad about themselves, get depressed.. etc.

Go to a nutritionist... get a healthy diet... period.. Walking is an excellent way to exercise.. and swimming too.. better than nothing.

There is no miracle..
Lizzie60 is offline   Reply With Quote