Hormone shifts and sleep?

Alright. For those of you women here on LS.. who have are in or have gone through perimeno.. do you or did you find that around the time of your cycle your sleep is messed up? Because this is driving me insane. Just before my menses I find myself waking at like 5 am. I'm fully awake.. and just about always wake up with a hot flash. Man this stinks. It's amazing how hormones can make you think your going crazy.:confused: While I know it's a natural process for a women.. I don't like this. I'm due for my annual OB visit next month.. and I'm for certain My OB will explain more to me.. but until then, getting up at 5 am sucks. By noon I'm ready to go back to bed?:laugh: Can anyone else relate? If so how did you manaage this transition period? Thanks.

Mea:)

I'm postmenopausal (due to necessary surgery, not age :)). I was on a bioidentical hormone cream. I had the bright idea to get off of it to see if the estrogen loss wouldn't help me lose that last 10 pounds. What I got for my trouble was chronic insomnia that even sleep meds didn't help. Once I got back on the hormones, sleep magically returned.

I hear progesterone cream can help with peri-menopausal issues such as sleep. You can get it at the larger health food stores.

• Author
I'm postmenopausal (due to necessary surgery, not age :)). I was on a bioidentical hormone cream. I had the bright idea to get off of it to see if the estrogen loss wouldn't help me lose that last 10 pounds. What I got for my trouble was chronic insomnia that even sleep meds didn't help. Once I got back on the hormones, sleep magically returned.

I hear progesterone cream can help with peri-menopausal issues such as sleep. You can get it at the larger health food stores.

Thanks JT. My OB did mention that same cream. While I am not really for HRT, if a little cream will do the trick.. it sure would be worth it at this point. With 3 kids to run after.. I need my sleep. And the 5 or 6 days leading to my cycle, my sleep is very messed up.. it's drving me nuts.:laugh:

Mea:)

Don't consider it HRT. just consider it a little help. ;)

Actually, progesterone cream is often used by menstruating women to help with PMS, heavy periods, etc- so really, it's not considered full-blown HRT.

pureinheart

Hi Mea,

Just a thought, I was that way shortly before discovering I was hyperthyroid. I also had a hysterectomy at 27, and was found hyperthyroid at 46/47.

Has your doctor diagnosed you?