A weight loss challenge FOR YOU!

Hi I have started a couple of these threads in the past.

I noticed a few LSers want to lose weight. I do too.

Do you want to do a weight loss challenge.Post how much weight you want to lose and by when and each week we weigh in and post our progress.

I find these threads helpful as you are held accoutable and get encouragement. Also if you get stuck often times other memebers have helpful advice.

what do you think?

Lauriebell82

Okay, I will bite.

I weigh 127. I am 5'2. I'm past my "ideal weight" and not where I want to be. My goal is to lose about 12ish pounds. I have plateud (sp?) however, because I am not overweight right now even though I have gained some weight since pics that I posted awhile ago (in wedding dresses). It seems to be harder this time around. I am unsure why.

I looked up some treadmill running workouts online. I found a really great one that I did last night. It focused on shorter intervals. The website said that shorter intervals (switching incline/speed every 15 seconds) burn more fat. I have not done this before, I usually do intervals of 2 minutes. I also don't adjust the both the speed AND incline each time.

I did not weigh myself this morning. I realize that weighing myself daily is making me insane. My new plan is to weigh myself once a week on Saturdays. I will track my progress that way. I have also started lifting more. I am sooooooooooo sore but I still plan to gut through it.

Sorry for the rambling. The only thing that I can say though hotgurl is that people may be uncomfortable posting their weight, especially if they have significant weight to lose. I know I would...

• Author

you don't have to post your weight just how much you have to lose and than count down. If that is more comfortable.

I gained 20lbs since getting married in 2008.

so I am 160 and want to get down to 130. I weigh in Fridays so we can post over the weekend our progress.

I was thinking about your plateau and what has helped me in the past is upping the calories consumed daily by 100 calories for two weeks and than cutting back after two week. Use healthy calorie like and apple or hard boiled egg.

sometimes your body kicks into starvation mode and by upping the calories in the short term you kick it out of fat storage mode and the it can help you.

xpaperxcutx
Okay, I will bite.

I did not weigh myself this morning. I realize that weighing myself daily is making me insane. My new plan is to weigh myself once a week on Saturdays. I will track my progress that way. I have also started lifting more. I am sooooooooooo sore but I still plan to gut through it.

Weigh yourself once every week. I used to do this all the time but then again I had an eating disorder where I was completely obsessed with the scale.

Tracking progress is good, but track your calories ( if you do so ) and track your lfiting reps to help improve your lifts and your weights.

Lauriebell82
you don't have to post your weight just how much you have to lose and than count down. If that is more comfortable.

I gained 20lbs since getting married in 2008.

so I am 160 and want to get down to 130. I weigh in Fridays so we can post over the weekend our progress.

I was thinking about your plateau and what has helped me in the past is upping the calories consumed daily by 100 calories for two weeks and than cutting back after two week. Use healthy calorie like and apple or hard boiled egg.

sometimes your body kicks into starvation mode and by upping the calories in the short term you kick it out of fat storage mode and the it can help you.

Yeah, I actually tried upping my calories because of working out so much more then I was. It didn't help. And I am trying to eat healthy foods such as fruits, veggies, whole grain bread. I also am eating every few hours. The only thing I can conclude is that I threw myself off because of the eating schedule while being a cashier. Perhaps my body just needs time to adjust to a normal eating schedule once again.

Right now I eat every few hours in order to avoid getting overly hungry and overeating. We went to a restaurant a few days ago that had a nutrional guide there. I picked out a very healthy food that had a low fat and carb content. (It was Cod Floridian). I also ordered a fruit salad and a cup of chicken noodle soup as sides instead of more fatening ones. I saw a difference in my workout yesterday. I have VERY sore arms though so I really need to watch the lifting right now. I don't really want to do that but it honestly hurts to even lift my arms to put my hair in a ponytail!!!

xpaperxcutx

H_G, thanks for starting this thread. I'll bite into this one as well.

I don't have any weight to lose since I've already lost enough. I'm at 110 right now on a 5'3 frame, but I want to lean out and gain at least 5 more pounds of muscle. I have a little pudge I want to get rid of.

I would love to keep a consistent track of my progresses since I've been slacking a little these past few weeks.

I'm trying to be consistent about cardio. I used to cardio once every other day, but now I want to cardio for 30 mins every day first thing in the morning. Then I need to increase my lifts. I can do 15 lbs in squats and lunges, but I still need to improve my curls and deadlifts to a consistent 12 lbs weights. I've been switching back and forth between 8 and 10 lbs weights so far.

xpaperxcutx
Yeah, I actually tried upping my calories because of working out so much more then I was. It didn't help. And I am trying to eat healthy foods such as fruits, veggies, whole grain bread. I also am eating every few hours. The only thing I can conclude is that I threw myself off because of the eating schedule while being a cashier. Perhaps my body just needs time to adjust to a normal eating schedule once again.

Right now I eat every few hours in order to avoid getting overly hungry and overeating. We went to a restaurant a few days ago that had a nutrional guide there. I picked out a very healthy food that had a low fat and carb content. (It was Cod Floridian). I also ordered a fruit salad and a cup of chicken noodle soup as sides instead of more fatening ones. I saw a difference in my workout yesterday. I have VERY sore arms though so I really need to watch the lifting right now. I don't really want to do that but it honestly hurts to even lift my arms to put my hair in a ponytail!!!

Don't worry about it. Progress takes time yet when you actually get there, you'll feel so much better that you had stuck it out in the long run.

If it makes you any better I've done some research and most people takes about 2-3 weeks of calorie adjustment to see any results. So stick to eating lots of fibrous carbs, avoid the processed food, and your body will start burning fat as fuel.

PS, if you're feeling very sore take a day's rest or up your protein immediately after lifting to repair muscles. You don't want to strain a muscle or suffer a muscle breakdown.

Edited by xpaperxcutx
Lauriebell82
Don't worry about it. Progress takes time yet when you actually get there, you'll feel so much better that you had stuck it out in the long run.

If it makes you any better I've done some research and most people takes about 2-3 weeks of calorie adjustment to see any results. So stick to eating lots of fibrous carbs, avoid the processed food, and your body will start burning fat as fuel.

Thanks! My fiance said what might have happened was that when I was down this extra 10-12 pounds I was still losing weight from being more overweight, therefore was already in "fat buring mode." When I changed my eating schedule and stopped lifting/working out as hard I got out of that mode and now have to start over. That combined with the fact that I am not overweight anymore it is harder to lose.

It's just frustrating! I wish for just one day that I didn't have to struggle with this. Unfortunately I probably will for the rest of my life. :(

Lauriebell82

PS, if you're feeling very sore take a day's rest or up your protein immediately after lifting to repair muscles. You don't want to strain a muscle or suffer a muscle breakdown.

Yeah, yesterday I worked out my legs and ran. I didn't do the elyptical (I usually do the machine that has the arm handles) or swim. I just worry that if I lose weight without working out my arms I will get extra skin. I already have a lot of it and I don't want any more!

• Author

I have to start working out again. I just get so blah in the winter.

Do you go to the gym or have home exercise equipment?

I do weight watchers but I don't buy their food. All weight watchres is is counting calories the assign points based on the calorie fat and fiber content of food, So instead of counting to 1200 I only count to 20. But it help writing down everything i put in my mouth.

Also I have to stop drinking wine with dinner that is how I put on my 20lbs. Work was stressful I just got married etc......

Lauriebell82

I do weight watchers but I don't buy their food. All weight watchres is is counting calories the assign points based on the calorie fat and fiber content of food, So instead of counting to 1200 I only count to 20. But it help writing down everything i put in my mouth.

Also I have to stop drinking wine with dinner that is how I put on my 20lbs. Work was stressful I just got married etc......

I go to a gym..it's really great! Huge weighlifting section, pool, hotub, basketball courts. I love it!!! I personally would never work out at home, it's too distracting. When you are at a gym it's just more motivating IMO.

Eating weight watcher food is a waste of money. It's also more expensive then regular food and you basically have to keep buying it to lose weight and keep it off. Good old fashioned healthy food is the way to go. I know from experience that portion control is important as well. You can't eat 4 sandwhiches on whole wheat bread. the problem with healthy/diety food is that there is the temptation to eat more of it because it is "healthy."

Definately cut down on the wine, it has SOOOOOOOOOO much sugar in it. I try to drink very seldom and if I do I get something like malibu and diet coke. I try to never drink daquiries or margaritas..those are loaded with fat/sugar/carbs. It's just empty calories.

xpaperxcutx
Yeah, yesterday I worked out my legs and ran. I didn't do the elyptical (I usually do the machine that has the arm handles) or swim. I just worry that if I lose weight without working out my arms I will get extra skin. I already have a lot of it and I don't want any more!

Sweetie, if your extra skin doesn't sag, it's not extra skin, it's only fat.

As long as you keep a clean consistent diet, the fat cells under your skin will shrink and your skin will tighten up. Just like it's impossible to gain 20 lbs in a day, we can't expect ourseselves to lose 20 pounds in a day either. Your skin will tighten up depending on how slow/fast you lose weight. I read that if you lost a significant amount of weight, it will take an extra 2 years for your skin to completely snap back. Sure it still comes down to genetics, but exfoliation and taking care of your body will definitely improve the elasticity.

You don't have to do your arms every day, in fact too much exercise isn't always a good thing. If you worked out your arms one day, give it a day's rest for the muscles to repair. As long as you give your body the rest it needs the muscles you build will give definition to your body and lift your skin ( if they're really really loose).

xpaperxcutx
I have to start working out again. I just get so blah in the winter.

Here's a list of foods that relieve stress- http://www.bhg.com/health-family/mind-body-spirit/natural-remedies/superfoods-for-stress-relief/

Red wine is good for you, but like everything, it's about moderation.

Lauriebell82
Sweetie, if your extra skin doesn't sag, it's not extra skin, it's only fat.

As long as you keep a clean consistent diet, the fat cells under your skin will shrink and your skin will tighten up. Just like it's impossible to gain 20 lbs in a day, we can't expect ourseselves to lose 20 pounds in a day either. Your skin will tighten up depending on how slow/fast you lose weight. I read that if you lost a significant amount of weight, it will take an extra 2 years for your skin to completely snap back. Sure it still comes down to genetics, but exfoliation and taking care of your body will definitely improve the elasticity.

You don't have to do your arms every day, in fact too much exercise isn't always a good thing. If you worked out your arms one day, give it a day's rest for the muscles to repair. As long as you give your body the rest it needs the muscles you build will give definition to your body and lift your skin ( if they're really really loose).

It does sag..my underarms mostly. It's just from losing/gaining weight repeatedly since I was a teenager. I have seen that it is not quite as bad as I have built some muscle back in my arms and have not "yo-yoed" in weight like I have before. I have not kept weight off (5-10 pounds is not too bad for me!) this long in my whole life. I am quite proud. :D

Lauriebell82
Here's a list of foods that relieve stress- http://www.bhg.com/health-family/mind-body-spirit/natural-remedies/superfoods-for-stress-relief/

Red wine is good for you, but like everything, it's about moderation.

Thats a good list. I agree that red wine is good for you but it does have a lot of sugar. I agree moderation is good. Instead of having a glass everyday, have a glass once per week. And try not to have a huge glass that is filled to the very top.

xpaperxcutx
It does sag..my underarms mostly. It's just from losing/gaining weight repeatedly since I was a teenager. I have seen that it is not quite as bad as I have built some muscle back in my arms and have not "yo-yoed" in weight like I have before. I have not kept weight off (5-10 pounds is not too bad for me!) this long in my whole life. I am quite proud. :D

Hey 5-10 lbs is alright, I'm happy for you too.

Don't worry about underarm sagging, it happens to the best of us ( I admit I even have it).

The only way you're going to get rid of loose underarm skin permanently is through surgery. But don't take it to that sort of extremes. We all can't be perfect.

Edited by xpaperxcutx
Lauriebell82
Hey 5-10 lbs is alright, I'm happy for you too.

Don't worry about underarm sagging, it happens to the best of us ( I admit I even have it).

The only way you're going to get rid of loose underarm skin permanently is through surgery. But don't take it to that sort of extremes. We all can't be perfect.

Thanks! The underarm skin is annoying, I hate that my arms aren't skinny. There is probably some fat there as well so I'm hoping that if I continue to lose weight and lift at the same time my arm will at least get semi smaller.

It's not extremely saggy or anything and you can't really tell unless I hold my arm up and you can see it.

I tend to be a perfectionist.

• Author

Eating weight watcher food is a waste of money. It's also more expensive then regular food and you basically have to keep buying it to lose weight and keep it off. Good old fashioned healthy food is the way to go. I know from experience that portion control is important as well. You can't eat 4 sandwhiches on whole wheat bread. the problem with healthy/diety food is that there is the temptation to eat more of it because it is "healthy."

weight watchers is not like jenny craig you don't have to buy the meals or a food plan.

You count points which directly correlate to the fat & fiber content in food and obviously the calories. base don your weight you figure out how many points a day you can eat and you don't go over it and for each 10 lbs,.you drop you lose a point.

so basically the higher in fiber the food is the better. also you keep food journals. It is really helpful.

Ok, I would like to lose 20 pounds. I was doimg yoga, but I jsut started school, and I have a full time job (excuses), and because of the yoga class schedule, I haven't been able to go as often as I would like. But tomorrow, I'll go for a walk before I go to work. I'll weight myself, and post statistics.

Yeihh!! I'm excited.

have taken an alternative route, had lapband surgery last April, and while the surgery is primarily about weight loss, but my primary goal is to get off the insulin.

I'm happy to report that I'm half-way there, i.e., I'm off the mealtime insulin, now to drop more weight to get off the 24-hour insulin. Best part is that I've got more energy because I've got less "poundage" to tote around – my sister once told me that for every pound overweight you are, that's equal to 8 pounds on your knees!

like Laurie, I've noticed that the small meals every few hours seem to work the best, I guess because your body isn't going into "starvation" mode and wanting to preserve fat cells to stay alive, so to speak.

as for foods, the bariatric nurses stress proteins first, veggies and fruits next, and always consume water. I've learned the hard way that acid indigestion/reflux is another way to keep the weight down – you simply cannot tolerate certain foods (lol, usually the stuff that's bad for you anyway), so you tend to avoid them.

so far, so good ;)

xpaperxcutx
Ok, I would like to lose 20 pounds. I was doimg yoga, but I jsut started school, and I have a full time job (excuses), and because of the yoga class schedule, I haven't been able to go as often as I would like. But tomorrow, I'll go for a walk before I go to work. I'll weight myself, and post statistics.

Yeihh!! I'm excited.

Yoga is good for flexibiiilty, but if you want serious weight loss, you need to incorporate some cardio. I recommend when you walk to work, to walk faster than you usually do to at least raise your heart rate.

xpaperxcutx
have taken an alternative route, had lapband surgery last April, and while the surgery is primarily about weight loss, but my primary goal is to get off the insulin.

I'm happy to report that I'm half-way there, i.e., I'm off the mealtime insulin, now to drop more weight to get off the 24-hour insulin. Best part is that I've got more energy because I've got less "poundage" to tote around – my sister once told me that for every pound overweight you are, that's equal to 8 pounds on your knees!

like Laurie, I've noticed that the small meals every few hours seem to work the best, I guess because your body isn't going into "starvation" mode and wanting to preserve fat cells to stay alive, so to speak.

as for foods, the bariatric nurses stress proteins first, veggies and fruits next, and always consume water. I've learned the hard way that acid indigestion/reflux is another way to keep the weight down – you simply cannot tolerate certain foods (lol, usually the stuff that's bad for you anyway), so you tend to avoid them.

so far, so good ;)

QK, can you shed some light on your results since the surgery? I've never taken alternatives like surgery ( although at one time I had considered liposuction) but I like being proactive and it gives me a great sense of pride to be able to lose weight through dedication.

Protein is good, no matter what. They are after all the building blocks of life.

Lauriebell82

So good news!!! I'm beginning to lose weight, finally!!!! I have not weighed myself yet (weigh in day is Saturday for me) but I can tell I am getting thinner and my fiance has noticed as well. The change in my treadmill workout combined with getting back to a normal eating schedule is finally working!

xpaperxcutx
So good news!!! I'm beginning to lose weight, finally!!!! I have not weighed myself yet (weigh in day is Saturday for me) but I can tell I am getting thinner and my fiance has noticed as well. The change in my treadmill workout combined with getting back to a normal eating schedule is finally working!

Yay good for you! Don't worry about the numbers if they don't move, I recommend you get yourself a tape measure. They're soooo much better.

Yeihh!! I'm excited.

Ah...do Yoga at home. I did it before and it toned my body like there is no tomorrow. check out this one: Power Yoga - Total Body Workout by Rodney Yee. You will sweat in no time - you will gain strength, flexibility, and weight loss too!