Anyone else pick up weight lifting after a divorce?

I lift weights. I did not do it after a divorce, but I have hit it hard at various times in my life, especially after big losses..and especially after relationships have ended.

There is something about being able to build my body that helps.

I weight train fairly regularly...but I do it because it's good for me and once I started, I couldn't stop without losing all the growth and progress I worked for...and I get time during each workday to work out...

But I would strongly recommend it to someone who just went through a breakup/divorce/loss of loved one...it's a great way to release emotion (anger/stress/sadness/etc) while doing something good for yourself...

• Author

It has seem to help me cope with my divorce. It helps with the stress. Pair that with proper nutrition and you have a pretty good hobby to keep up with.

SoulSearch_CO

I started lifting at the beginning of December. I did some lightly in HS, but really nothing until now. I am LIKING the results and will continue. The guy I'm dating is very fitness-oriented, so I've asked him to come up with a lifting program to get me ripped. LOL I mean ripped for a girl - I don't want to end up looking like a guy. But I don't see him doing that to me - he's the one that has to see me naked.

I was divorced Aug of 08, so I guess this is technically "lifting after a divorce." :D But really, running is what has gotten me through a lot of it. I picked up weights because it was suggested that it can boost my metabolism and heaven knows I can use more of that.

I also expanded my weight lifting after my separation. Why do some start or increase fitness training after break-ups? Does it matter if you're the dumper or the dumpee?

That's an interesting phenomenon. Many go to the gym to salve their emotional wounds as opposed to bars. I prefer the gym.

I also expanded my weight lifting after my separation. Why do some start or increase fitness training after break-ups? Does it matter if you're the dumper or the dumpee?

That's an interesting phenomenon. Many go to the gym to salve their emotional wounds as opposed to bars. I prefer the gym.

1. Physical exertion relieves stress.

2. You are making your body more attractive the next person because you're single again.

3. Obvious health benefits.

4. Potential to meet people and make friends.

5. Perhaps someone's weight or body was an issue causing the breakup; therefore they want to fix that issue.

6. You suddenly have this huge amount of time on your hands that was once taken with your partner.

And the list goes on...but this is interesting about factoring in the dumper/dumpee status...I'd have to think about that a little bit...my first reaction would be that it wouldn't matter...

I have yet gone through divorce or separation but I have rough patches with my marriage/my husband right now.

So I started with Power Yoga to build my endurance and then went to kickboxing and now start with crossfit program.

Crossfit & kickboxing have been my lifesaver, it is powerful, very taxing physically, and I always feel so sore yet so great afterward. During crossfit, I did pull-ups, deadlift, bench-press, body rows (who knows maybe one of these days, head stand push up lol) - work all kind of muscles that I thought I didn't have.

I definitely recommend crossfit for everyone with stress or trauma, I have never felt so fit in my life before (and I was an athlete in my high school and now I feel like at 33, I'm much stronger than when I was 18).

1. Physical exertion relieves stress.

2. You are making your body more attractive the next person because you're single again.

3. Obvious health benefits.

4. Potential to meet people and make friends.

5. Perhaps someone's weight or body was an issue causing the breakup; therefore they want to fix that issue.

6. You suddenly have this huge amount of time on your hands that was once taken with your partner.

And the list goes on...but this is interesting about factoring in the dumper/dumpee status...I'd have to think about that a little bit...my first reaction would be that it wouldn't matter...

Great list, Hokie. Nos. 1, 2 and 6 were primary drivers for my work-out regime.

As for dumper/dumpee, perhaps the dumpee has extra incentive to look his/her best.

But who really knows.