Question on the pace of weight training....

I'm pretty new to weight training. I have only been doing it about a month. Here is my main question. I have heard that I should do chest/shoulders/tri's in one day. But when I get done doing chest I am so tired that shoulders are hard to do, let alone tri's. It seems like a waste of and exercise to try tri's after chest and shoulders.

Is it still best to do all these in one day, or split them up?

There can be some merit to having a "push" day. The importance of a split is not to do MORE work, but to do HARDER work.

It seems you are encountering one of the common problems (based on one of the common misconceptions): chest training generally requires the use of your shoulders and triceps (plus other pushing/gripping musculature of the upper body). This is exactly why I steer people away from thinking of their body in discrete parts - the human body ISN'T arranged as such.

I would ask as to how many movements and sets per movement you are doing for "chest." A "push" day could truly be done in about 20 minutes with a handful of movements and not very many sets.

I would also ask why you are not asking questions about leg and back training, both of which are far more important than chest in terms of fitness.

• Author
Originally posted by Ryan

I would ask as to how many movements and sets per movement you are doing for "chest."

I would also ask why you are not asking questions about leg and back training,

For chest I'm doing bench/fly's/incline dumbless. All for 4 sets, and up to 8 reps/set.

I don't have the same problem with legs/bi's/back. The chest workout is the only thing that tires me out that much.

For chest I'm doing bench/fly's/incline dumbless. All for 4 sets, and up to 8 reps/set.

That makes me tired just thinking about it.

Here's something for you to think about....then come back with some questions: you do about as many sets for a single "chest" session as I do in 2 weeks of training my entire body.

My thought about a "push" day would be this:

If I do 1 HARD set of bench press (bar, dumbbell or machine chest press), 1 HARD set of dips (weighted if necessary) and 1 HARD set of overhead presses (bar, dumbbell, or machine).............what's left?

How are my chest, shoulders, and triceps/pushing arm musculature not fully involved in those 3 simple movements?