Lately, more and more individuals are finding out they are bipolar. What are the causes of this? More stress, more suppression of stress or more chemicals in food and medicines that contribute to mental/emotional disorders?

It could be any number of things. Some people are simply mentally pre-disposed to it.

It's not a sickness, with a systemic root cause. It's a condition.

http://bipolar.about.com/od/causes/Causes_of_Bipolar_Disorder.htm

I have a close family friend who is bi-Polar.

there are also several well-known bi-polar celebrities, Stephen Fry and Richard Dreyfuss to name but two.

One thing they appear to have in common is they are extremely intelligent.

Oscar Wilde was Bi-polar, as was Aubrey Beardsley.

two incredibly creative and intellectual individuals.

I think it may have something to do with mixing with more stupid people and being depressed at the state of the Human race as a whole.:p

That was a tongue-in-cheek remark, but I do know my family friend despairs at the idiocy of others when they are at a low point....

this will give you a clearer idea on how our blood chemistry plays a huge role in our mental health ... that if it's outta whack, we start doing some out-of-ordinary stuff.

in my own life, I've seen two distinct causes for a shift in balanced mental health: With me, it's severe stress that runs me down, and in turn, my "chemicals" are depleted and I go into a kind of funk. Went through that twice in the past five years, caring for dying parents who lived on the other side of the state AND working full-time ...

my husband's episodes with depression are based in a worsening back problem. From what one pain management doctor told him, that pain triggers a depression in a person because it's just too much for the body to handle. Add that to the stress of having said injury, not being able to work, wane in "man" functions (i.e., sex) ... yeah, that's enough to trigger depression.

that's just one end of a bi-polar illness though, you'll have to do a bit more studying to figure out what triggers the manic cycle.

fewer than one out of three people with a legitimate mental illness have been diagnosed....

My niece has bipolar and it is usually diagnosed with one or more other disorders. A doctor has said that a traumatic experience can bring that on also. I agree with another post about it being in the genes, where you can be more likely to have or get it. I also think it may be overdiagnosed as well.

• 6 years later...
  • Author

Thanks guys for these responses. I've been studying a bit more about the topic. I've found several factors that you've mentioned to be spot on. Coping and getting treated can be a challenge.

Personally stress triggers some things within myself. Does bipolar automatically exist when one has depression?

Bi-Polar disorder is a chemical imbalance in the brain and the sufferer is born with that. Over time, as the person ages, the effects of that imbalance become more obvious. Without treatment and if there are other life stressors that come into play, the disorder is compounded and exacerbated and, therefore, difficult to separate the original "natural" disorder from a disorder that is created by external sources -- i.e. abuse, and the person then has co-morbid disorders which makes it difficult to diagnose without long-term, intensive observation. Because of the co-morbid, co-mingled disorder presentation, other possible disorders are mimicked. There are similar presentations for a myriad of other disorders. Bottom line is, a layman cannot diagnose nor should they bother to do that when they are faced with a relationship that is toxic and or otherwise volatile. It simply doesn't matter what condition the person has, the other person is not equipped to deal with or manage it nor should they attempt to.

The US is an over-medicalised society. Though in general there is a larger world population and better diagnostics. No-one knows whether illnesses per 1000 people are actually up. Previous generations have had it harder in the West, I would have thought

• Like 1
Lately, more and more individuals are finding out they are bipolar. What are the causes of this? More stress, more suppression of stress or more chemicals in food and medicines that contribute to mental/emotional disorders?

Adrenal fatigue can present very similarly to bipolar and because adrenal fatigue is not a recognised condition by the medical establishment the way bipolar is, the result is usually a bipolar diagnosis. But I suspect that adrenal fatigue is far more common than actual bipolar disorder.

Edited by Buddhist
  • Like 2

Like it or not, in the old days.... the male victims of a bi polar male's rage had the right (if not obligation) to settle the dispute with fists. Mr. Polar starting behaving like a civilized person after a number of azz beatings.

Ya may not like it, but it worked. No prescriptions needed.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Author

These are helpful responses. Thanks guys.

Hopefully there becomes a way to prevent illnesses such as bi-polar disorder and other bmental illnesses. I feel like there is never energy used to diagnose and/or prevent mental illness. Especially since our minds contribute to so much of our overall well being.