Good excercise program for losing weight

Hey Ryan, I would like to know what you would consider to be a good excercise program for me losing weight. I know I need to keep my quads strong for my knees. And of course I have a lot of weight to lose. I'm currently about 260 and 5'5. LOL Is this ok to ask since it's not about my surgery?

I think walking is a good place to start if your knee allows it. I like to walk for an hour 5 or 6 days a week. It's not really aerobic for me but it's something I enjoy and that means it's something I will keep up.

Well....here's the thing about losing bodyfat. The most effective way to do it is by moderate dietary manipulation/reduction and activity that promotes muscle sparing.

You have a profound and overwhelming dietary reduction, which is going to create muscle loss regardless. We can only hope to mitigate it by way of that which is most effective in such manners - proper strength training. Activity chosen for the purpose of burning calories is generally poor because there really aren't any activities that expend a significant amount of calories relative to the content of a single pound of bodyfat. You're already in a huge caloric deficit, so there's no need to even attempt to widen that gap.

I've already started discussing this process over in the "leg cramps" thread under here, so I'd hate to have to echo myself. I will say that the general principles can apply to everyone, even with your pre-existing knee condition. My first question would be as to what equipment you have access to and how serious you are about making a lifestyle change to incorporate valid, effective exercise into your life for a long period of time.

• Author

I have a treadmill at home, and we have some bicycles...not 10 speeds, but the regular kind that you use when you are a kid. We also have a stationary bike.