I noticed a post down below where you recommended a man use CLA as part of his weight loss program. I've just started using CLA myself and, seeing as there really isn't very much information available about its side effects, I was wondering if you could shed some light.

Is there any negative effect on taking CLA with birth control pills? I know that some supplements (such as St. John's Wort) can render the pill useless. Is this the case with CLA as well?

Thanks in advance.

Catt

Hi there, Catt,

I don't really think CLA would interfere with the efficiency of BCP's....but I couldn't tell you with 100% certainty. Good thing you're checking into it,though! You could contact a couple of good Health Food Stores in your area and talk to them, see if they have any documented info (books) that prove either way if CLA interferes with absorption or efficiency of any other medications....

You could also try contacting one of the makers of CLA, "Tonalin" (try the link I'd posted before for Joe)....

Could also call up a pharmacist in your area.....see what they think. They might not know off the top of their head, but ask them if they could look into it for you...then get back to you.

Try doing searches online, on CLA....if you can find any info, please post it..I'd be very interested to know, too!

How long ago did you start it? Make sure to measure yourself...and then do weekly measurements..most people notice a significant loss in inches (hips, butt, waist, etc) versus actual weight loss on the scales.

L

I noticed a post down below where you recommended a man use CLA as part of his weight loss program. I've just started using CLA myself and, seeing as there really isn't very much information available about its side effects, I was wondering if you could shed some light. Is there any negative effect on taking CLA with birth control pills? I know that some supplements (such as St. John's Wort) can render the pill useless. Is this the case with CLA as well? Thanks in advance. Catt

okay now i'm curious, what is cla? what does it do and who can and cant take it?

I noticed a post down below where you recommended a man use CLA as part of his weight loss program. I've just started using CLA myself and, seeing as there really isn't very much information available about its side effects, I was wondering if you could shed some light. Is there any negative effect on taking CLA with birth control pills? I know that some supplements (such as St. John's Wort) can render the pill useless. Is this the case with CLA as well? Thanks in advance. Catt

and you'll find a lot of info. The only problem is that it is failry new so they really have no idea about long-term effects. Check out the site for the product "Tonalin" that Laurynn recommended.

Good luck!

Hi Laurynn;

You mentioned the CLA supplement. I have been working out a lot in the past few months, including weights. I have already seen a positive change in my body.

I purchased the ClA that you mentioned after reading about it.

How much is the recommended amount? The article mentioned 4 grams, but that would be 4 Huge( and I mean HUGE) tablets. Does that make sense to you?

Also, how long before seeing results do you think?

Thanks

Hi Rachel!

From all the reading I did, it was advised to take 3500mg (3.5 grams) of CLA per day, divided up.

Here's the kicker. While the capsule may say it's a "1000mg (1 gram)" capsule, that does NOT mean it contains 1000mg of CLA. Using the Tonalin brand as an example, if you read on the bottle, it says that each capsule contains 74-82% pure CLA (which works out to 740-820mg of CLA per capsule).

The suggested daily dose of CLA is 3400mg. So to be on the safe side, assuming that the lowest possible dose in a capsule (Tonalin brand) could be 740mg, you'd then need to take 5 capsules a day to ensure you're getting 3400mg per day.

Take them a good half hour before meals.

I'd take 2 before breakfast, 1 before lunch and 2 before dinner (or you could take 2 before lunch if you eat a larger lunch as opposed to dinner).

They can cause mild tummy upset..in the form of diarrhea (not terrible or anything, but for some folks this is a bit of a side effect) so don't be alarmed at that.

They say to drink a full glass of water with the pills (each time you take them).

Hope this helps!

L

Hey Laurynn,

thanks for the CLA info. I would like to read more about it, if you know any website info. If you don't that's fine.

Anyway, you are correct the dosage is 1000 mg. So I will try 3 a day. Do you think 3-4 months is a correct amount of time to see results, if you are working out?

Thanks

• 11 months later...
lafayette620

Does anyone know if it is safe to take CLA while pregnant and not breast feeding?? I can't seem to find any information on it except that you shouldn't take it if you are breast feeding. Thanks!