Should I increase my amt of calories or decrease them?

Hi everyone!

I'm 21 years old [gona be 22 this month] and I'm 5'1 and approx 105.5 LBS [that's what I was this morn']. I have started to work out regularly again, and today is my 4th consecutive day of working out for hour. My question is in terms of calorie consumption, should I be eating more calories or less to lose weight? I noticed that when I was eating more calories, my weight went up [my highest is 115, which isn't fat but I don't want to be that weight. I was consistantly 105 through junior high and high school]. Although I was particular with what I ate [no fried foods, stay away from white products [rice, pasta sometimes, etc], no sodas, etc] I still gained weight. Isn't watching calories just as important? I notice that now that I'm exercising daily [vigorous cardio and some strength training exercises], I have lost weight [i was usually between 107-110. Most times 110] and I think it's due to my eating. I know that the weight is coming off though with the eating in combination w/ the exercise cause like I said I always watched what I ate but since I started exercising I've been really strict with my diet.

A typical day of meals consists of:

B: Oatmeal with a protein drink [sometimes w/ a banana]. Today I had Oatmeal [150cals] with a protein drink [200somethin cals] and a can of tuna with a lil bit of mayo and some spices

S: Large coffee with 1 pkt of powdered cream and 2 splendas [instead of using 5 each, I have restricted myself to using the bare minimum]

L: Fresh Salmon [raw, sushi style] on a bed of fresh greens, dressing on the side [it's a spicy red dressing, tastes like it has wasabi in it]

S: South beach diet PB bar [140 cals], 4 pcs of gum, 1 sm or med sized coffee [i recently started drinking coffee regularly starting this past Monday. Coffee used to make me extremely nervous and filled me with a lot of anxiety but I realized that was just a psychological issue cause I'm fine now].

D: [this varies. My Mom usually cooks organic foods, some are high in cals but others aren't. Whatever the case is, I usually eat a sm portion and force myself not to eat another bowl or plate. And by force myself to stop eating, I mean because I'm not hungry and b/c I would eat for emotional reasons/the food tasted really good. I used to eat 2 servings of medium sized portions of food. I suppose 2 fist sizes [if you put two fists side by side each other]. Last nite I ate a fist sized portion of brown rice with a couple of bites of pot roast [it was broiled] with some mediterranean style spicy gravy. My Mom rendered all the fat.

The funny thing you would think that I don't have much energy I don't cause I eat so little but really, I am able to function normally. When I'm hungry, I eat but I make sure that my portions are tiny. I don't ever deprive myself of food.

Lastly, I have been told that I have the potential for an eating disorder by a nutritionist, but I think that I'm going about things the healthy way [judge for yourself based on my daily meal regiment]. The dinner was a small, but I usually eat a little more than just a couple bites of meat lol. The meat still had just a litttle fat on it.

Btw, my nutritionist said that I should be getting 1500-1700 cals based on my ht and wt [again, 5'1 and 105.5 Lbs [as of this morn]. Does my current eating habits hinder my chances of losing weight? I want to be 95 Lbs. Yes that is a lil extreme but can't I be healthy and still be my desired weight? My BMI is still 20.213 or something. Six months ago it used to be 15 and my nutritionist was reaally worried. I know that was low. Anyone please, any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

I'm not extremely well versed in the calorie/food intake thing, but I do know that when you exercise regularly, your body burns off calories ... Maybe since you're devoted to a good workout, maybe your physician wants to ensure you have enough calories to do just that, plus whatever else your daily regimen calls for.

am curious as to why a mature female (i.e., post puberty) would want to weigh 95 pounds. I think of little kids when I hear that weight. And I worry about how that would affect your reproductive organs, since women need that extra bit of body fat to healthily carry their babies ...

• Author

quankanne: thank you for your response. I really appreciate it. I have been told by my nutritionist that I should be heavier but for some reason I just don't want to be heavier. I guess 95 LBS is a little extreme, and I know that isn't really healthy but I want to be that way. But then again, maybe it is healthy cause this is the first time that I've simultaneously exercised, actually watched what I ate AND am currently not smoking, which I have never done before in my life. I would usually be lacking in one of those major areas..

Lastly, I have been told that I have the potential for an eating disorder by a nutritionist, but I think that I'm going about things the healthy way [judge for yourself based on my daily meal regiment]. The dinner was a small, but I usually eat a little more than just a couple bites of meat lol. The meat still had just a litttle fat on it.

Btw, my nutritionist said that I should be getting 1500-1700 cals based on my ht and wt [again, 5'1 and 105.5 Lbs [as of this morn]. Does my current eating habits hinder my chances of losing weight? I want to be 95 Lbs. Yes that is a lil extreme but can't I be healthy and still be my desired weight? My BMI is still 20.213 or something. Six months ago it used to be 15 and my nutritionist was reaally worried. I know that was low. Anyone please, any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

OP,

I don't know much about eating disorders, but stating your weight as 105.5 lbs (to the nearest 1/2 lb) and knowing every calorie you eat is a bit obsessive. Your weight can vary by a few lbs. just based on your water intake or what time of the day you weight yourself. Based on you numbers, you are not overweight by any means. Why are you so concerned about a number? There's no logical reason to be that weight, you are just fixated on the number for some reason. Your focus should be strictly on body fat percentage, if you're body fat is in the normal range and you are eating healthy wholesome foods, you shouldn't concern yourself with reaching a specific number or counting calories. Get a body fat analysis from a doctor if you want to prove that you aren't fat. I'd venture to guess your body fat is on the low side.

I am a healthy eater and have maintained a good weight for years. I don't count calories. My method is simple:

1) Eating a variety of fresh, whole unprocessed foods at least 90% of the time (with the other 10% occasional splurges).

2) Eating at least 6-8 times a day or more (preferably small meals)

3) I eat before I am hungry and quit before I am full

4) Getting proper sleep (not enough sleep and you will have trouble with weight)

It sounds like you are already doing some of those things. That will give you the best opportunity to reach your ideal weight, whatever that may be for you. I believe genetics provides us a default weight. I'm a 5'9" male, and I know mine is around 155-160 lbs. when I don't exercise. I'm around 170 lbs. now, but I workout a good bit more, so I've put on some muscle. If you are exercising you may actually go up in weight or not lose any weight on a scale. That would just mean you're losing body fat and gaining muscle.

I don't want to advise you to eat less. Frankly, I think you should probably be eating more. Just favor eating low energy density foods (think of foods with a high water content, like celery or apples) which would include fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and beans. They are foods that are very filling per calorie consumed, versus high energy density foods, which aren't very filling per calories consumed (think white bread, white rice, junk food, and any kind of refined carbohydrates).

• Author

fral945,

Thank you so much for your response. You are absolutely right about my obsessive behavior when it comes to calories. Realistically, I know that I should be eating over 1000/day and that what I'm doing isn't exactly the healthiest or best thing for my body [getting below 1000 cals]. My body will go into starvation mode otherwise.

That's great that you have maintained a desired weight for quite a few years. Not a lot of people reach that point, and it's good you've achieved a healthy lifestyle that's been working for you.

Weight loss is a little different for guys. Guys burn fat a lot faster than women [Grr. I'm jealous lol]. And women store their fat in different places [thighs, hips] than men [tummy] as well.

I'm just a little afraid of taking in too much calories [even 1000 seems like a lot to me, but I know my body needs that amount in order to function properly and to burn fat]. I need to get out of this mindset that 1000 cals is a high number. If I work out for an hour or an hour and a half let's say, and I do some strenuous cardio and some light aerobic training, and I consume between 1000-1300 cals, would I lose a couple of pounds? Or would I maintain my weight?

I get so confused sometimes when I hear things like "People should consume less calories and exercise" or.. "You should eat more calories because it'll speed up your metabolism". I think that maybe the people who are advised to eat less calories are probably older than me [i'm 21], maybe in their 30's or older and whose metabolism isn't working as hard? .. Do you think that reducing calories doesn't apply to me but, rather to people 30's +?

Anyway, thanks again for your advice. I appreciate the support and your positive feedback.

Weight loss is a little different for guys. Guys burn fat a lot faster than women [Grr. I'm jealous lol]. And women store their fat in different places [thighs, hips] than men [tummy] as well.

You are right about fat storage, when I was 20 lbs heavier I had a bit of a belly, lol. Of course, that was also the first place to lose the weight.

I don't necessarily agree that we men burn faster. The speed you lose weight depends on a host of factors, including metabolism, muscle mass, activity level, diet, and how much extra weight you are carrying. I'll admit I probably burn more calories and can eat a lot more than you, mainly because I'm heavier and more muscular. Bigger muscles burn more calories, and people with more muscle and less fat can eat more without gaining weight. I could just as easily gain weight, though, if I get lazy with my diet. I was heavier at 20 and my waist was 2" bigger than it is now (28). My exercise has been consistent but the extra weight was mainly due to poor diet and knowing nothing about proper nutrition.

I'm just a little afraid of taking in too much calories [even 1000 seems like a lot to me, but I know my body needs that amount in order to function properly and to burn fat]. I need to get out of this mindset that 1000 cals is a high number. If I work out for an hour or an hour and a half let's say, and I do some strenuous cardio and some light aerobic training, and I consume between 1000-1300 cals, would I lose a couple of pounds? Or would I maintain my weight?

It really depends how much you have left to lose. If your BMI is around 20, you are very thin to begin with. There are 3 forms of weight you have that can change: Water, muscle, and fat. If you don't have much fat and you take in too few calories, your body will start to burn muscle, which you definitely don't want.

You'd have to take some pretty drastic measures to lose much weight (assuming that is your case). Are you dissatisfied with the way you look? The more I read your post the more I think you might have issues with the way you view your body. The numbers you gave indicate you're just fine. Obviously, I can't see you but it's hard to believe that anyone would view you as fat if they saw you.

I get so confused sometimes when I hear things like "People should consume less calories and exercise" or.. "You should eat more calories because it'll speed up your metabolism". I think that maybe the people who are advised to eat less calories are probably older than me [i'm 21], maybe in their 30's or older and whose metabolism isn't working as hard? .. Do you think that reducing calories doesn't apply to me but, rather to people 30's +?

Anyway, thanks again for your advice. I appreciate the support and your positive feedback.

Those people are very simplistic. You definitely don't need calorie reduction. People who older and less active might, but not you.

I agree with the quote "People should consume less calories and exercise" but what they aren't telling you is not all calories are created equal. 1000 calories from processed foods (high in added sugar and refined carboyhydrates) will be far less filling than 1000 calories from fruits, vegetables, whole grains, beans, seeds, nuts, fish, and lean meat. Those are all healthy foods with all kinds of nutrients your body needs. If you eat 1000 calories of the good unprocessed food you won't go hungry and will be able to eat that way for the rest of your life if you wish. The reality is eating 1000 calories of unprocessed, whole foods will keep you full and satiated much better than 1000 calories of highly processed foods. You're getting more nutrients your body needs and the food keep you satiated longer. I guess some people could eat the junk, but you'd walk around with you stomach growling, hungry, moody, and constantly craving more junk. I imagine many people go through that cycle everyday. No one can sustain that for very long, though, that's why fad diets with special shakes and bars generally don't work for long.

I honestly wouldn't recommend you focus on the calories. You seem fixated on a number. The number of calories you burn will vary day to day depending on your activity level. If you are very active, you need those calories. Focus more on what you are eating and when you are eating. Try some of the advice I gave you in the other post (frequent small meals, high quality food) and try not to be so hard on yourself. Get some books and educate yourself regarding nutrition. I think one of the best is "Eat Drink, and be Healthy: The Harvard Medical School Guide to Healthy Eating" by Walter Willett. Read as many diet books as you want. Educate yourself and just try to develop habits that can help you maintain a healthy weight for the long term. After reading them you'll find that most of them have some common themes that are good for overall long term health.

I really hate to see you obsess about a number. You sound like a perfectly healthy 21 yr old who might have a problem with how you view your own body. Your healthy weight might be right where you are now. Just try to make some positive changes and see what happens.

1000 calories or less when you're planning on doing regular 90 minute work-outs sounds like a recipe for disaster. Do that, and you might find yourself collapsing in the middle of the gym.

Talk to the instructors at your gym and follow their advice regarding the exercise regime...and listen to your nutritionist. She knows you, and she knows her subject (nutrition). I don't see how anyone on this board could give advice that would be more beneficial to your health than advice from an expert who knows you.

Personally I see nothing wrong with someone wanting to be at the low end of their healthy height/weight range, but with a BMI around 20 you're already there. If what you want to know is "how can I get below a healthy weight without jeopardising my health?" the logical answer to that would seem to be "you can't." You've said that several months back you had a BMI of 15. Significantly lower than the low limit for good health, so it isn't surprising that your nutritionist is concerned that potentially you are a candidate for anorexia At 5ft 1 and weighing 105 pounds your BMI is slightly under 20

http://www.bbc.co.uk/cgi-perl/health/fightingfat/bodymass.pl

Once you get below 18.5 you're running into health problems.

It's your body and your choice. If you want to put yourself on a starvation/vigorous exercise regime then realistically nobody can stop you from doing that - but you can't expect any rational person to validate such a regime. If you do collapse while you're exercising as a result of a dangerously low calorie intake, then you may well find yourself kindly banned from the gym for your own safety (and to protect them from liability). I really hope that you'll be sensible about this.

Re the point about needing to consume more calories in order to lose weight...I think that relates to your body going into self preservation by lowering its metabolism during times of starvation. ie it starts to burn up lean tissue rather than fat, and as muscle burns more calories than fat does, losing muscle lowers your metabolic rate. Going to the gym and working out frantically won't necessarily result in the lost lean tissue being fully replaced. It's harder than you might think to put on muscle. Here are some notes on why eating less can make you fatter

http://www.healthy-weight-supermarket.com/Metabolism101.html

FleshNBones

Focus on your overall health and not your weight. Most of the calories are used, and should be used for upkeep. Only a fraction gets used for workouts.

Working out involves tearing down and rebuilding yourself. If you do not have enough rest or nutrition, then you could end up in a downward spiral where damage just accumulates. A complete mental and physical breakdown can land you in the emergency room.

You must also understand that there is a biological limit to how low your bodyfat percentage can get. Take it below a certain limit (I think 7% for women), and you risk serious health problems. Take it down to 2% and you are probably near death, and living off a ventilator.

Cutting back on muscle isn't such a great idea either. There are stabilizing muscles, and weakening them could put you at risk for joint damage which can lead to a lifetime of joint pain.

I think one symptom of a diet short on calories is cramping while you work out.

A diet short on fat can send your endocrine system out-of-balence, and lead to weight gain.

I am 30, I weigh about 182 lbs which is about 20lbs less than I was in January, and I am 6'2". My calorie intake is at least 3000 calories a day, and I exercise about 3-4 times a week (50-min at a time). I eat a 1000 calorie sandwich for luch. It actually feels heavy, and the people who've seen it admire it (manly sandwich). In time, I will get stronger, and I will also increase my calorie intake. Maybe a year from now, I will be well into 4000 calories a day.

I am 5 feet tall and I weigh 102 pounds. I would also like to weigh 95 so I understand where you are coming from OP. I used to be alot heavier so maybe my fear of getting that way again makes me want to be on the small side.

I usually work out 4-5 times a week for 1-2 hours a day. I don't really count calories though so I am not sure how many I am eating a day. I have on a few occasions counted and they had been anywhere from 1000-2500 so I don't really have a set number I try to eat in a day. I just eat when I am hungry which is not that often.

So I am kinda in the same situation as you are in. I want to lose those few extra pounds but I am not sure what else I could be doing to get there.

AND am currently not smoking

ah, I think I can see it more clearly now from this end of things: Smoking curbs appetite (or so I'm told), so if you stop smoking, there's a good chance you'll consume more if you're not disciplined with your diet ... do you think that could also be a reason why the 95 pound target, as sort of wiggle room if you do gain weight?

best thing to do is ask your doctor why the increased calorie load – is he/she worried about an eating disorder and wants to guarantee you've got that "wiggle room" of extra food energy?

please, please, PLEASE, don't do anything drastic based on appearances. My MiL was like that the whole time I knew her and frankly, she was damned anorexic. And freaked out when family members put on weight (though she never did say word one about my heavy figure). But in the end, it worked against her, because she developed lung cancer and lost what little appetite she had and died looking like one of those starving Ethiopian babies ... just older, whiter and more wrinkly, bless her heart.

this isn't license to balloon up, but to give your body that margin it needs to remain healthy. Because at 95 pounds (or even 102), even a small weight loss can be catastrophic to your overall health.

I usually work out 4-5 times a week for 1-2 hours a day. I don't really count calories though so I am not sure how many I am eating a day. I have on a few occasions counted and they had been anywhere from 1000-2500 so I don't really have a set number I try to eat in a day. I just eat when I am hungry which is not that often.
Rest is just as important as exercise.

How much sleep are you getting? How intense are your workouts?

Rest is just as important as exercise.

How much sleep are you getting? How intense are your workouts?

I get a decent amount of sleep. Usually 7 hours or so. My workouts are a hour or so of cadio and a hour or so of weight lifting. I really enjoy working out though so I would work out this much even if I wasn't trying to lose a few more pounds.

• Author
AND am currently not smoking

ah, I think I can see it more clearly now from this end of things: Smoking curbs appetite (or so I'm told), so if you stop smoking, there's a good chance you'll consume more if you're not disciplined with your diet ... do you think that could also be a reason why the 95 pound target, as sort of wiggle room if you do gain weight?

Actually, the funny thing is that I LOSE weight when I quit smoking. I don't snack as much when I'm smoking [surprisingly! most ex-smokers would be so mad hearing that!] and I am just overall healthier in general. I would even pick up exercising while quitting as well. Unfortunately, snacking and putting on the pounds would SOUND a lot more rational than the actual reason why I'd want to be 95 LBS. I really idolize Nicole Richie and I realized that when I was at 95, my cheekbones were really defined [they are defined now, but I feel overall that my body looked better]. I think this is just a body dysmorphia type of thing that I'm going through. I have a very high self esteem though, I just want to control my appearance.

best thing to do is ask your doctor why the increased calorie load – is he/she worried about an eating disorder and wants to guarantee you've got that "wiggle room" of extra food energy?

Well when I came into her office [i stopped seeing her because I just felt that she wasn't helping me as much as I wanted to. I think I was even MORE set into being 95 LBs back then [i weight about 103 back then] and was really stubborn, who knows. lol. Plus it didn't help that she was probably about 50-60 Lbs overweight herself. [Not to be cruel or insensitive, but that doesn't really make me feel confident with what she's telling me when I didn't agree with her theories in the first place. But of course she knew better, I just wanted her to tell me what to eat but she refused saying that is still disordered eating]. She was right though, I think. The fact is that I stopped seeing her about 5 months ago. She recommended 1200-1500 cals so that my body's metabolism will work faster and that I will have more energy. Plus she knew I was working out obsessively about an hour 5x a wk so she said that is the fuel I needed.. but I still can't wrap my mind around the concept that consuming all of those calories = being skinnier?! Gr.. that's just unrealistic to me. I'd really like to see more articles online about this and I've tried looking up some to prove to me that skinnier people eat more calories, exercise and are model thin but haven't found anything very convincing. [Ok not that thin, but a lil' bigger?]

please, please, PLEASE, don't do anything drastic based on appearances. My MiL was like that the whole time I knew her and frankly, she was damned anorexic. And freaked out when family members put on weight (though she never did say word one about my heavy figure). But in the end, it worked against her, because she developed lung cancer and lost what little appetite she had and died looking like one of those starving Ethiopian babies ... just older, whiter and more wrinkly, bless her heart.

I'm sorry to hear about your MiL. That must've been a horrible existance and I don't ever want to live that way. Unfortunately a lot of women suffer with eating disorders and at least now your MiL isn't suffering any longer. All the societal pressures is just too much to deal with sometimes..

this isn't license to balloon up, but to give your body that margin it needs to remain healthy. Because at 95 pounds (or even 102), even a small weight loss can be catastrophic to your overall health.

I agree that even 102 is unhealthy. I'm scared though. I don't like how I feel heavier, even just a little. I just want to be educated on how to eat properly so that I'm better able to handle my weight in the future.. and there are so many resources out there [some credible and some are just a waste of time] but what do I believe?! I don't know.. but I think as long as I'm eating unprocessed foods [for the most part], exercising, eating snacks throughout the day and small meals, I should be fine. I shouldn't be so fixated on the numbers..

Thanks so much for your response quankanne!

• Author
I get a decent amount of sleep. Usually 7 hours or so. My workouts are a hour or so of cadio and a hour or so of weight lifting. I really enjoy working out though so I would work out this much even if I wasn't trying to lose a few more pounds.

7 hours seems decent. I read somewhere that getting anywhere less than 6 hours/nite interferes with your metabolism. And good for you, I wish I "really" enjoyed working out. I enjoy it but not a lot.. some days I just dont' wana do it at all. lol.

thanks for understanding what I meant in my post – I don't want to sound mother hen-ish, but I also hope you are able to find something useful in what I write.

now, you say "She recommended 1200-1500 cals so that my body's metabolism will work faster and that I will have more energy. Plus she knew I was working out obsessively about an hour 5x a wk so she said that is the fuel I needed"

that makes a certain sense because by this point, you're not burning stores of fat, but tapping into protein stores in your muscles (at least I hope this what I correctly remember from biology class!). So, you're going to need that extra calorie intake to be used as an energy source, rather than take some (or most) from your body's stores. Analogy – keeping your gas tank at a minimum of a quarter-tank full because you don't want to find out what happens when you hit the red zone!

that makes a certain sense because by this point, you're not burning stores of fat, but tapping into protein stores in your muscles (at least I hope this what I correctly remember from biology class!). So, you're going to need that extra calorie intake to be used as an energy source, rather than take some (or most) from your body's stores. Analogy – keeping your gas tank at a minimum of a quarter-tank full because you don't want to find out what happens when you hit the red zone!
There are fat and glycogen reserves.

Working out 5x a week 1-2 hours at a time is a good way to deplete the glycogen reserves.

Fat cannot be burned alone so it is burned with glycogen or protein. Deplete the glycogen, and you end up burning muscle.

Pro athletes (the aerobic variety) easily consume 5000 calories a day, and they are usually thin.

I am really quite surprised with what I have read in this thread! There is no way on earth that 95lb is a reasonable goal for someone your size, I don't think it is a reasonable goal for any adult actually.

I suffered from an eating disorder for 6 years of my life. I am still trying to overcome the urge to excessively exercise and count calories. I have not done that in 4 years and it is still a daily struggle.....7 years to overcome!

You need to realize how damaging this is; you are obsessed. It is like any other addiction. You need to see a councellor before it is to late! If you don't get yourself under control and out of that mind set you are going to end up being admitted into a hospital. Anorexia is a serious issue and I know you don't see that now because you aren't taking in enough calories and carbohydrates for your brain to properly function. What does your family say about what your are doing? What do your friends say? Is there anyone that will help you? Is there anyone in your life that sees what you are doing to yourself?

Please go get help, I have been where you are, I know you probably feel horrible (I know I did) once you start healing and eating properly you will never have felt to healthy and happy and you will never want to go back to where you are! God bless you, I wish you the best!

• Author

It really depends how much you have left to lose. If your BMI is around 20, you are very thin to begin with. There are 3 forms of weight you have that can change: Water, muscle, and fat. If you don't have much fat and you take in too few calories, your body will start to burn muscle, which you definitely don't want.

You'd have to take some pretty drastic measures to lose much weight (assuming that is your case). Are you dissatisfied with the way you look? The more I read your post the more I think you might have issues with the way you view your body. The numbers you gave indicate you're just fine. Obviously, I can't see you but it's hard to believe that anyone would view you as fat if they saw you.

I'm actually pretty happy with my looks. Well, my face anyhow but my body, well, I feel that it needs a lil toning. Maybe toning is what I'm needing instead of losing weight.

Those people are very simplistic. You definitely don't need calorie reduction. People who older and less active might, but not you.

Yah I've actually upped my calories to 1200-1300~ish 2 days ago, [i haven't really been counting everything!! [only some things but overall, I eat whatever I want usually! I thought it was gona be difficult but I made sensible decisions and it worked.] I noticed that I haven't been any rounder in the middle for the last 2 days. Well, ok my weight varies between 105 and 110. 105 on a good day. I weighed 107 yesterday. Last nite I weighed 110, then when I woke up this morning I was 106.. weird! I know my body does that sometimes I'm not sure why but I'm not complaining lol. [burns fat in my sleep maybe?]. I haven't had time to exercise for the past 2 days but that was when I started upping my cals. I don't notice any significant increase in energy, but if I keep this up I'm sure I'll feel a lot stronger and better, mentally and physically.

I agree with the quote "People should consume less calories and exercise" but what they aren't telling you is not all calories are created equal. 1000 calories from processed foods (high in added sugar and refined carboyhydrates) will be far less filling than 1000 calories from fruits, vegetables, whole grains, beans, seeds, nuts, fish, and lean meat. Those are all healthy foods with all kinds of nutrients your body needs. If you eat 1000 calories of the good unprocessed food you won't go hungry and will be able to eat that way for the rest of your life if you wish. The reality is eating 1000 calories of unprocessed, whole foods will keep you full and satiated much better than 1000 calories of highly processed foods. You're getting more nutrients your body needs and the food keep you satiated longer. I guess some people could eat the junk, but you'd walk around with you stomach growling, hungry, moody, and constantly craving more junk. I imagine many people go through that cycle everyday. No one can sustain that for very long, though, that's why fad diets with special shakes and bars generally don't work for long.

1000 cals of refined sugars and junk food taste soo good but are so bad. Why is it that everything that tastes so good is so bad for you! Ugg.. well the good news is that I love veggies, but then again, I also love my chips and pizzas. Hm. I now know that if I eat the junk foods that I love just in moderation, I'll be fine. Just eat small portions. Yesterday for example, when my Mom and I went to this pasta place, I made sure that I got a takeout bag right away then I immediately put half of my portion in the package and then enjoyed a guilt-free, small pre-portioned pasta.. MmMm it was good.. Chicken with mushrooms and tomato sauce ;-) lol. There's no way I could give up something like that for good!

I honestly wouldn't recommend you focus on the calories. You seem fixated on a number. The number of calories you burn will vary day to day depending on your activity level. If you are very active, you need those calories. Focus more on what you are eating and when you are eating. Try some of the advice I gave you in the other post (frequent small meals, high quality food) and try not to be so hard on yourself. Get some books and educate yourself regarding nutrition. I think one of the best is "Eat Drink, and be Healthy: The Harvard Medical School Guide to Healthy Eating" by Walter Willett. Read as many diet books as you want. Educate yourself and just try to develop habits that can help you maintain a healthy weight for the long term. After reading them you'll find that most of them have some common themes that are good for overall long term health.

I'll definitely look into checking out that book. I want to educate myself thoroughly on eating healthy, as well as exercising. It's not just a temporary diet, it's a lifestyle.

I really hate to see you obsess about a number. You sound like a perfectly healthy 21 yr old who might have a problem with how you view your own body. Your healthy weight might be right where you are now. Just try to make some positive changes and see what happens.

Aw, Thank you. You are so sweet. I have actually been told not to lose weight by guys or that I've got a perfect body, and that I would probably look a little gaunt, but to me, because I'm with myself 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, that is completely untrue in my eyes. Plus, women always have issues with their bodies to some degree so it is highly unlikely that a woman would be satisfied with her body all the time. There are sometimes I like/love it, other times I'm like blah, you tub of lard. lol. Anyway, I think I'm making great progress here. Thank you so much again. I am very appreciative for your advice!

Btw, how's your exercise/eating regime going?

• Author
thanks for understanding what I meant in my post – I don't want to sound mother hen-ish, but I also hope you are able to find something useful in what I write.

Oh, of course I compeletely got what you meant. You are one of the people that have inspired me to change how I'm eating [in a healthier, and sensible way] and I appreciate you taking the time to give me your opinion. And trust me, you don't sound mother hen-ish. LoL if you were, I'd tell you, ok..thanks mom. lol jk.

now, you say "She recommended 1200-1500 cals so that my body's metabolism will work faster and that I will have more energy. Plus she knew I was working out obsessively about an hour 5x a wk so she said that is the fuel I needed"

Ah.. good analogy. I agree, she did have a point, but at the time I really didn't believe it. I really see the benefits of eating more [healthy] cals. [not to mention, I get to eat more which is sometimes scary but other times it's kinda liberating LoL].

I guess as long as I eat smaller portions of healthy food [veggies, fruit, pretty much anything as long as it's not fried or lardy], I'll be fine. Oh and exercise is equally as important too.

Thanks again for the advice! :-)

• Author
What has your nutritionist said about your goal weight? Does she think it's reasonable for you?

Funny you ask. The answer is no, a definite no. LoL. She really didn't like the idea. Logically, 95 LBS doesn't really seem 100% reasonable to me but I believe that is how I look best. I'm torn between vanity and my health. They are both equally as important to me. Ok, well health a bit more of course. And yes, unfortunately, that does sound incredibly superficial and it probably is but I'm wondering if maybe being 95 LBS [even though I eat healthy, eat frequently small meals, and exercised] at my age [21] and at my height [5'1] would have the same effect as a girl who deprived herself of cals [an anorexic]? [i hope theyr'e not the same thing!]. I realy don't know but I hope I'd be able to do something like how I have my plan laid out. I really don't know if that's possible to be 95 LBS though if I take in 1300-1500 cals? Gr. I just feel a huge amount of societal pressure to be that way and I really like the way I look in clothes. Isn't the thing that matters is that I eat healthy and exercise regularly?..

• Author
There are fat and glycogen reserves.

Working out 5x a week 1-2 hours at a time is a good way to deplete the glycogen reserves.

Fat cannot be burned alone so it is burned with glycogen or protein. Deplete the glycogen, and you end up burning muscle.

Pro athletes (the aerobic variety) easily consume 5000 calories a day, and they are usually thin.

Ahh.. And that is why protein is important when it comes to weight loss! I just thought it just encourages you to go poop.. lol.

But hm.. from what I'm understanding, burning glycogen isn't good cause it's burning muscle.. ? but isn't glycogen sugar? Burning sugar = good? Or only burning glycogen to a certain extent is good? .. I duno? I just looked it up on google and my brain is starting to spin, I totally did not like ths part of biology lol. If you don't mind, could you explain what you meant in short?

Thanks for your response!

• Author
I am really quite surprised with what I have read in this thread! There is no way on earth that 95lb is a reasonable goal for someone your size, I don't think it is a reasonable goal for any adult actually.

Hehe, well my perception of beauty may appear a little extreme to a lot or most people, but to some, women who idolize Nicole Richie believe that skinny is sexy. I think that she is a little TOO skinny though and that is why I'm not striving to be 80 LBS [lol. gross, and I'd never strive to be that tiny]. I think that she would look good with about 5-10 Lbs on her which is what I want to be. And the huge difference between Nicole Richie and I is that I'm actually going to EAT and I will exercise regularly, lol. Oh and I won't have a cocaine problem. I love Nicole Richie's appearance and her witty&sweet personality, but I do not want to be 80 Lbs like her. That is extremely gaunt in my eyes. And I don't agree with everrything she does, namely cocaine/prescription drugs[since that was a part of my past].

I suffered from an eating disorder for 6 years of my life. I am still trying to overcome the urge to excessively exercise and count calories. I have not done that in 4 years and it is still a daily struggle.....7 years to overcome!

I'm sorry to hear about your struggle. I'm happy to hear that you are overcoming it and although it must be very difficult, it's good that you're being proactive about it and not giving in. Having a supportive group of friends, other anorexic/bulimic survivors will help make the process a bit easier. You just have to take it one meal, one day at a time. I still have the urge too as well, but I am learning to just make smart decisions about what I'm eating, eat in smaller portions, and exercising regularly. I remember having an internal battle with myself when I wanted to eat that piece of cake but I wouldn't cause my guilty conscience kept telling me "No! You can't eat that, or you're gona be fat" or "You better not eat that.. That cake is gona be added on your thighs or tricepts". What a sad and horrible existance. It is very tough. I'm glad that I'm learning a lot more effective and healthier ways to deal with my food issues. I'm happy for you that you are learning healthier ways as well. I'm done with my obsession of food and I know what you mean about it being a struggle. Just one thing at a time.

You need to realize how damaging this is; you are obsessed. It is like any other addiction. You need to see a councellor before it is to late! If you don't get yourself under control and out of that mind set you are going to end up being admitted into a hospital. Anorexia is a serious issue and I know you don't see that now because you aren't taking in enough calories and carbohydrates for your brain to properly function. What does your family say about what your are doing? What do your friends say? Is there anyone that will help you? Is there anyone in your life that sees what you are doing to yourself?

My sister has always thought I had an eating disorder but I was always a small eater. Both of my parents are obese, but my Mom has started preparing organic/low cal foods for the past 3 months now. She lost about 5-10 Lbs. My mom knew I had a slight eating problem [not full on eating disorder cause I would eat but I would restrict my cal intake to about 500 a day or less] when she saw I had pics of Victoria Secret models in my bedroom. Then she found out I went to see a nutritionist on my own cause I started becoming agitated all the time, nervous, paranoid, sleepy, I wasn't able to concentrate, etc and then I was diagnosed with "the potential" of having an eating disorder. That was when I was about 103 LBS and I had 15% body fat.

Please go get help, I have been where you are, I know you probably feel horrible (I know I did) once you start healing and eating properly you will never have felt to healthy and happy and you will never want to go back to where you are! God bless you, I wish you the best!

Thank you for your concern but I believe that I'm doing things the healthy way now. Eating 1200-1500 cals/day, exercising, I quit smoking [daily, I still smoke on weekends though when I drink] as opposed to eating 500 cals or less a day and exercising 5x a day and smoking daily. As each day goes on, it gets easier and it seems a lot more doable to maintain my healthier eating habits which is very encouraging and bright. I hope that you have a supportive bunch of friends and that you are receiving the proper care as well. I'm proud of you to hear that you've made such great progress and have stuck with fighting your demons. :-) You're an inspiration to me and I'm sure to other people who read this thread.

Keep it going, and good luck. Thanks again for your help!

I guess I really jumped to some conclusions as I quickly read through the thread, didn't realize you were coming up out of the disease not going down! Glad to hear. You seem like the sweetest person and I hope everything goes good for you. Stay strong, eat healthy, and never give up the hope of over coming this battle! If you ever need to talk to someone who has been there I am always here. Good luck.

hey kiddo, I've heard that it's apple juice that brings on a good poop! :p

the slight weight loss you notice each morning? I;m pretty sure it has to do with water weight, usually the first thing you lose when you "lose weight" – last time my dad was in the hospital, they drained off 10 pounds of excess fluid ... and for an old guy, he's really not that heavy to begin with (about 150-160, with a 33-34 inch waist. And that's after six kids and 9 grandkids and all the junkfood he'd buy for us!!!)

I do know that sometimes when you begin a good exercise regime, you'll put on some weight, not lose it. That's because you're building up muscle mass (toning up). could be another reason why you're not able to get any less weight than what you are. From everything I've read, though, you sound like you're a trim little lass who's got a bit of wiggle room with slight weight gain.

I think I'm jealous ...

:cool: