Genital Herpes? HSV-1? HSV-2? CANKER SORES?

I once dated a girl who claimed she had genital herpes... I never really new if it was her paranoia that diagnosed her or if it was real. Either way, we always abstained during any period that she thought she might have something.. she took valtrex.. sex was not safe all the time but it was a committed relationship and we were very careful.

Anyways... After breaking up with her I've always had a little "nitch" in my mind wondering if I ever picked up the HSV-2 from her. I went to a doctor once and thought I had it, but he said no. I also got an HSV-2 specific blood test done which indicated no detection of hsv-2 anti-bodies.

Just recently I had noticed some minor pain in the "down south" area, but I didn't really think anything of it until I saw a small scab. It is almost fully healed (1 week) and I'm not sure that even walking in and getting it swabbed would give me any answers. But either way.. this has got my mind rolling....

So the question is... How do you really know if you have genital herpes? If something has to be present... and blood tests are somewhat conclusive/inconclusive... how do you approach a new relationship? Do you say, "WELLL... I think I MIGHT have herpes... I really dono't know!" Do you tell them.. "Hey I dated someone who had this and I'm not sure if I do?" Do you run to the doctor everytime you think you feel something strange down there?

Also... I know I've had canker sores in my mouth- but I'm also confused about this. How do you know if a canker sore is not herpes? Apparently HSV-1 can be transmitted to the genitals which could create a whole other dilemma... "Hey, I have HSV 1 so if you kiss me or do other things you could also get it in your mouth or down south..?" It makes me nervous to even go on a date and kiss someone... and unfortunately as nit-picky as I already am this makes it tougher for me to let loose.

thanks for reading....

a

Blood test.

That's the only way.

Go back to the doc's office- and get your bloodwork done again.

I went through that with an ex who had it... and I went twice to get tested to make sure I was okay. And I taught sex-ed in a group home to teenage girls for 5 years.... so I can tell you that there are so many different things this scab can be.

A scab is indiciative of Herpes perhaps- but also of many other things, so don't go freaking yourself out. For every symptom you have there are a myriad of possibilities... most of them mundane.

Bloodtest... they'll check for antibodies.

Canker sores and herpes are two seperate things.

Canker sores occur inside the mouth- cold sores occur outside, on the lips and surrounding face. Most people have HSV1 (oral coldsores).

If your ex was taking valtrex- she had Herpes. Doc's cannot hand out prescriptions without diagnosis.