A couple of my girlfriends SWEAR by "hot yoga," and claim it - and only it - is the cause of their dramatic weight loss and complete body conditioning. I mean, it's been a stunning transformation. But I'm not so sure, and it's like $16 a class. You're supposed to go 3x a week to really benefit and get better, which could get pricey.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Trialbyfire

A couple of my friends went and had to quit. It's not for everyone, since you're sitting in a group environment with people who are sweating their arses off. I suspect you get the picture. :sick:

whichwayisup

I don't think I'd like that at all. Sweating and being too hot and then having to do yoga. I prefer just regular yoga. If I sweat it's because I'm doing the workout, not because of the heat.

I loved it. There are only 26 poses and you do them twice each in 90 minutes. I love heat. The tricky part for me and could be why your friends have lost weight is, you kind of have to time when you eat and drink because you want to be really, really hydrated before you take the class but not too much otherwise you will have to pee during the class which is kind of a no no. Plus, you don't want to do it within an hour of eating.

It is expensive at $16 a class but that's probably for a 90 minute one.

sunshinegirl

It's not for everyone, as others have said. But I love it. I don't do it for the 'body transformation' benefits - though I can see how that would happen if you went 3x/week. I do it for the general body conditioning, stretching, and mental relaxation it provides.

I actually find women who do lots of yoga to be hotter than average, so I guess this sounds pretty mind-blowing. I wonder where I can see a class.

• Author
It's not for everyone, as others have said. But I love it. I don't do it for the 'body transformation' benefits - though I can see how that would happen if you went 3x/week. I do it for the general body conditioning, stretching, and mental relaxation it provides.

It's my understanding that BIKRAM yoga (unlike hatha, ashtanga, or even vinyasa) is anything but relaxing, mentally or physically. To the contrary, I've heard it's incredibly challenging.

True?

Hmm.. i didn't find it super challenging. Like I said, 26 poses. You do one, take a very short break and do it again. The challenge comes in the improvement in the stretch, the holding of the position etc..

Johan.. dude.. corepower - the starbucks of yoga places in our area.

Prodigal Princess

I've tried it a few times, absolutely hated it. It was uncomfortable beyond belief. Plus, any "dramatic weight loss" is only caused by the loss of bodily fluids through sweating (i.e. removing water retention). It's not permanent.

A typical class, if you know what you're doing, will burn about 400 - 500 calories. That's the same as a spin class. I know which one I'd choose!

sunshinegirl
Hmm.. i didn't find it super challenging. Like I said, 26 poses. You do one, take a very short break and do it again. The challenge comes in the improvement in the stretch, the holding of the position etc..

Johan.. dude.. corepower - the starbucks of yoga places in our area.

I suppose it depends on the class/instructor... I attend Baptiste yoga which I assume isn't quite the same thing as bikram (haven't been), though they're both hot. Baptiste is a rigorous flow class - no rest, no breaks in between poses. The challenge is in keeping up with the flow and focusing on your form in each of the poses.

ETA: I think you kind of miss the point of yoga if you (or anyone) do it to lose weight. It's an awesome way to connect with your body, connect with your mind, and explore what you're physically capable of doing.