I have a consultation scheduled in three weeks with a Lasik surgeon. I have worn glasses since the age of four, and my vision has recently reached a point where I am requiring both contacts and reading glasses. (Lucky me, I am both near sighted and far sighted). My optometrist recommended the consultation.

Has anyone else out there had the proceedure?

Generally, were you happy with the outcome?

How much did it cost?

What was the recovery like?

Any feedback would be appreciated.:rolleyes:

Mustang Sally

I have.

Yes. 20/20 again after wearing glasses/contacts for over 20 years.

How much did it cost?

Around $2K

Some eye pain after the local wore off. But I was told to go home and sleep (which I did - for several hours) and after I woke up, not too bad. Had to wear eye shields for a day. I could see immediately. But eyes tired and watery that first day.

Also, I had quite a bit of halo for several weeks. That was one of the risks of the surgery - that the halo might persist - especially with night vision. At 3 to 4 weeks out, I thought I'd made a big mistake having the surgery because of the night vision halo. However, it eventually completely resolved (around 6 to 8 weeks out, I think). Now I LOVE it and would do it again in a heartbeat. By far one of the best things I've done for myself. :)

Good luck with you consultation!

I have a consultation scheduled in three weeks with a Lasik surgeon. I have worn glasses since the age of four, and my vision has recently reached a point where I am requiring both contacts and reading glasses. (Lucky me, I am both near sighted and far sighted). My optometrist recommended the consultation.

How much did it cost?

Any feedback would be appreciated.:rolleyes:

Yes I had .. back in 1997...

I am happy with the outcome eventhough my eyes are much more sensitive now.. I have to wear sunglasses all the time.

It cost me 4,000 (2 k each eye)

I would do it again... they operated one eye for far sighted and one eye for near sighted.. so I will not need reading glasses.

I have 'bionic' eyes.. now.. :laugh: I can read the smallest line now..

Mustang Sally
I am happy with the outcome eventhough my eyes are much more sensitive now.. I have to wear sunglasses all the time.

I would agree with this, also. I can't tolerate not wearing sunglasses in the sun anymore.

It cost me 4,000 (2 k each eye)

Hmmm. This gets me to thinking that maybe it was $2K for each eye for me, too. :confused: Losing my marbles again...

Anyway, something like that - $2K...or $4K....

:o

• Author

It's been nearly 11 years since the surgery. Have the benefits held up? I mean, have you had any changes in your vision since?

It's been nearly 11 years since the surgery. Have the benefits held up? I mean, have you had any changes in your vision since?

It's still very good.. no changes.. I'm still very satisfied.. would definitely do it again... but I have to say that I was working in a 'printing' shop then.. and the air exchange wasn't good and I suffered like crazy for 18 months.. till I quit that job.. then I knew it was the 'environment' and not the operation that was bad.. (bc at first I thought it was the operation that was missed).. it was very painful for the first 18 months.. so it also depends where you work.. or I should say in what type of environment... don't forget that the eyes are very sensitive after.

Both my brother and his wife did it about 6 years ago. They spent about $2,500 each and it was money well spent. My brother said that by the 2nd day he could see perfectly, but his wife took longer to recover...her vision was blurry for about 1 week. Now they both see excellently and it has held up for the last 6 years.

I just recently had an appointment to get checked out, then booked the surgery. Here was $2400 per eye.

Then, on the morning of the surgery they called me and said "Ahh, we've just had another look at your scans and the doctor has said, No.".

Apparently I have keratoconus, some sort of degenerative eye disease that makes lasik impossible. My parents must have been related :p

The upside is that I then shortly after found a site online that sells really really cheap prescription glasses. I just got a new pair in the mail for about $20 delivered and they're perfect! Will buy a few more pairs to go with different clothes ;)