What would constitute a low-fat diet?

I want to start working to get myself some abs and have something to show off in summer (I live in Australia). On the dietary side of things, I've been told to go on a low-fat diet to get rid of the layer of fat in my stomach. What would constitute such a diet?

I want to start working to get myself some abs and have something to show off in summer (I live in Australia). On the dietary side of things, I've been told to go on a low-fat diet to get rid of the layer of fat in my stomach. What would constitute such a diet?

I don't know exact numbers, but probably less than 25% daily intake.

Not likely you'll get rid of fat in your stomach with that kind of diet. And you can't really spot reduce anyway, fat disposition is genetic. You'll have to lose weight all over.

You'll have better success on a whole foods diet, which is low in processed (i.e., boxed) food, something like the DASH diet, which emphasizes fruits, vegetables, whole grains, beans, seeds, nuts, lean meat, and lean dairy. You need a moderate amount of fat because it provides satiety and is beneficial for a host of other reasons (I'm talking about healthy fats, of course).