*Our* Online Food Journal.

I keep my own food journal and I update it as best I can everyday. I know some of the things I eat are not good for me, and I need to be told that, or at least educated on what to eat and I am sure a lot of people do.

So I thought anyone trying to lose weight could journal it in this thread so we can all share, support and critique each other.

So today I ate:

Breakfast - Luna Bar 180 calories, strawberries - 30 calories, grapes - 30 calories.

Lunch - Hamburger - 500 calories, fries - 100 calories.

Snack (before figure skating) - Powerbar Triple Threat - 230 calories

I will figure skate for about two hours which will burn around 400 calories.

Then for dinner I will have chicken noodle soup, 180 calories.

Who's next?

• Author

Also, since this forum is no annonymous I will add: I am 5'4, 26 years old and weigh 145 lbs, size medium shirt and size 8 pants (30 inch waist and 39inch hips - I have a ghetto booty). I want to be 20 pounds thinner, my goal is for a waist 27 inch's, hips 37 inches, with a body fat around 22%.

honey, your size eight sounds incredibly, attractively curvy in the right places! As a plus-size woman who is comfortable in her own skin (well ... for the *most* part!) I'm not sure that I'm too keen on the current trend of women looking like E.T. – stick thin with huge heads and potbellies – because they feel they're supposed to be skinny skinny skinny. Every woman has her ideal "gorgeous" weight and her practical "gorgeous" weight, and I think most often the practical one is the more attractive version ... I've got butt and I've got boobs, looked like a woman by the time I was 13, and hated it. Now, though, I realize I'd look like a circus freak if I attempted to be anything smaller than a 12 or 14 because of those generous curves ... I'm just not meant to be svelte :p

however, I do understand your wanting to be more height-weight proportionate for health reasons, though I'm kind of curious: Do most folks who keep a food journal count calories or do they count carbs? I tend to look at the carb content, something I learned in my diabetes education classe.s

• Author

Hmm, good question. I have never met with a professional about what I should and should not keep track of. My BMI for my height is borderline overweight. I don't want to be super skinny, I actually can't, my frame (bone structure is medium in size). I only want to be a size 4/6, so only really drop a size or two (depending on the brands - which is really annoying). My tummy has been getting bigger and I have back fat (which I hate!!).

My butt is never going anywhere (proportionally), which I am okay with. But health wise, I do get winded going up stairs more then I think a person of my age should so I think losing some weight would be good. I am trying to focus on measurements because muscle weights more then fat and if I focus on my actual weight I may end trying for too much.

Okay - and I would like to be smaller then my husband of 135 lbs :).

But I do agree that curves are better then a stick figure, but health is very important and I do need to loss some weight.

I think there's nothing wrong with dropping a few pounds of fat, as long as you do it in a healthy manner.

I also need to start keeping track of what I'm eating and drinking, especially since I don't go out of my way to exercise. Lately I've been gaining weight, and fast. It's fine for now since a couple of months ago I went way below my average, but if I don't put some kind of stop on it I'm going to be bigger than I want.

I like the idea of a forum-wide diet journal!

FleshNBones

I don't have time right now for a complete breakdown, but I seem to be averaging about 3600 kcal a day.

I am 6'2" and I weigh about 185 lbs.

Also, since this forum is no annonymous I will add: I am 5'4, 26 years old and weigh 145 lbs, size medium shirt and size 8 pants (30 inch waist and 39inch hips - I have a ghetto booty). I want to be 20 pounds thinner, my goal is for a waist 27 inch's, hips 37 inches, with a body fat around 22%.

WOAH...we have the almost the same figure (I've got boobs instead of booty) AND goals! :)

wow - lose weight? i am always trying to gain...

i like my bod the way it is right now. i am tall and slim (size 2 to 4) with a bit of chestiness... and great legs... :laugh:

when i lose - i lose my good stuff - apparently - since that's what i've been told...:eek:

Today I ate charbroiled chopsteak w/ mushrooms and gravy and a loaded baked potato-calories, no idea. But after a week with no food it was sooooo good.mmmm:p

Male - 200 lbs, 6'1" (started my diet @ 225 lbs)

Mine doesn't change a whole lot from day to day:

Breakfast - 2 eggs (1 deyolked)

Mid-Morning - Protein shake

Lunch - Either 1 chicken breast or 1 tuna sandwich on wheat bread

Mid-Afternoon - Protein shake

Pre-workout - crunchy PB sandwich on wheat

Post-workout - 1 chicken breast

• Author

Yesterday I had:

Breakfast - Luna bar (180 Cal), Hot Coco (maybe 100 Cal's I did not drink much)

Lunch - Sushi - (160 Cal)

Afternoon Snack - Powerbar (200 Cal)

Soda (150 Cal, which I rarely drink, but it was good :))

Dinner (Leftovers form Sunday) - Steak w/ Salsa, 1/2 cup rice (guessing about 300 Cal)

Evening Snack (I went over board) - Ensure drink (250 Cal) and popcorn (100 cal)

Protein yesterday was a lot (about 45 grams) and I wasted it by not going to the gym :(.

No gym yesterday. Last week I went to the Gym Monday and Friday and figure skated Wednesday and Saturday.

This week I am going to the gym on Friday, Saturday I get my tattoo finished (and well, you have to burn a lot of calories with that because you sweat like crazy from the pain, haha).

FleshNBones
Yesterday I had:

Breakfast - Luna bar (180 Cal), Hot Coco (maybe 100 Cal's I did not drink much)

Lunch - Sushi - (160 Cal)

Afternoon Snack - Powerbar (200 Cal)

Soda (150 Cal, which I rarely drink, but it was good :))

Dinner (Leftovers form Sunday) - Steak w/ Salsa, 1/2 cup rice (guessing about 300 Cal)

Evening Snack (I went over board) - Ensure drink (250 Cal) and popcorn (100 cal)

Protein yesterday was a lot (about 45 grams) and I wasted it by not going to the gym :(.

No gym yesterday. Last week I went to the Gym Monday and Friday and figure skated Wednesday and Saturday.

This week I am going to the gym on Friday, Saturday I get my tattoo finished (and well, you have to burn a lot of calories with that because you sweat like crazy from the pain, haha).

50 grams of protein is the FDA recommendation for sedentary adults. It should be higher for physically active people. I think 60% over the recommended ammount.

I don't know how intense your workout is, but you should consider eating an apple or bananna immediately after your workout to help replenish your glycogen reserves. Burning muscle will only hurt you in the long run.

Make sure you have enough good fat in your diet. Eliminating fat from your diet is a recipe for disaster.

KenzieAbsolutely

i like my bod the way it is right now. i am tall and slim (size 2 to 4) with a bit of chestiness... and great legs... :laugh:

when i lose - i lose my good stuff - apparently - since that's what i've been told...:eek:

and this really helped the discussion how? celebrate yourself, yay! now anything to add to what's actually being talked about here?

good for you, redfathom. it looks like you have healthy balance, and your exercise is great (figure skating--i never had the coordination!)

it seems like you're on the right track, you might get to your goals (although i think you sound fine, to be honest) if you trade in the hamburger at lunch for something healthier, maybe a good salad or a lighter sandwich.

oh, and today so far i had a pretzel, some watermelon, and one grape. i realized there was mold on them before i could eat more! ew. lol.

• Author

Wow Kenzie, I am hungry just reading that! I hope your meals later today are better (meaning more).

Flesh, thanks for the advice, I really don't know too much about these things. My workout right now is mainly cardio (I am not sure if Figure Skating can account for more then that, I mean you do use your leg muscles to throw your body in the air so that should sound for weight lifting, haha?). I was doing weights and cardio until I read that I need to burn the fat first with cardio, then I read thet doing high intensity cardio will burn muscle too which is why you need the balance. So I am going to start doing 40 minutes of cardio and about 20-30 minutes of weights, two times a week and in July I will be doing figure skating about two-three times a week. I might add a yoga class too.

I am trying to do the good fat thing, I do love avacado's, I want to start making my own guacamole for lunch some days.

Today so far I have had:

Breakfast - Jamba juice light (150 Cal) and Cranberry Muffin (310 Cal)

Snack - Grapes and Strawberries (100 Cal, guessing)

Lunch - Roll taco's w/ Guacamole (500 Cal, guessing)

Snack - Fat Free yogurt (100 Cals)

I am embarrassed at what I have been eating, normally I would not mind, but now people can judge me for it :( (which is exactly what I need). I will try to have a good salad for dinner.

KenzieAbsolutely
Wow Kenzie, I am hungry just reading that! I hope your meals later today are better (meaning more).

lol, thanks, me too. i was so sour at those grapes! :laugh: they're my favourite fruit besides cherries. love em!

don't worry, i'll eat dinner. that's just what i ate during the day...i don't get too hungry in the daytime cause i'm usually too busy to think about it. you're sweet though. :)

and this really helped the discussion how? celebrate yourself, yay! now anything to add to what's actually being talked about here?

Dude! That's exactly what I was thinking!! :lmao: Blatant self-indulgence!!!

Anyway, perhaps 2sunny would like to post some real detail, like what she eats. If, in fact, she does. Running around fast with one's mouth wide open (hoping to catch a few small bugs as part of a protein-rich diet?) doesn't really count.

KenzieAbsolutely
Dude! That's exactly what I was thinking!! :lmao: Blatant self-indulgence!!!

Anyway, perhaps 2sunny would like to post some real detail, like what she eats. If, in fact, she does. Running around fast with one's mouth wide open (hoping to catch a few small bugs as part of a protein-rich diet?) doesn't really count.

i'm pretty sure she eats. she'll tell us sprouts and watercress, but i've often found that people who jump into conversations with nothing to add but pointless 'i love me' statements are usually not being very truthful about themselves.

anyway, yay for redfathom! don't mean to hijack. that just rubbed me the wrong way.

, but i've often found that people who jump into conversations with nothing to add but pointless 'i love me' statements are usually not being very truthful about themselves.

I generally agree, although I actually serve as a great counterexample.

don't mean to hijack.

Nice to know.

FleshNBones

redfathom,

If you really are that active, you should consider increasing your calorie intake.

You really need to do more research. If you are really going to put a significant ammount of time into your workouts, you should make sure that you know what you are doing.

• Author

Flesh, I agree 100%. A friend of mine is a certified personal trainer (but certified back in the 80's). He has been giving me some information and he is also trying to loss weight, so we go to the gym together sometimes. I wouldn't mind getting a personal trainer to help me at the gym, but they're like (some) car sales men and I don't want to deal with the hassle of that.

For dinner I had grilled chicken, rice, guacamole, salsa, and tortilla's.

FleshNBones
Flesh, I agree 100%. A friend of mine is a certified personal trainer (but certified back in the 80's). He has been giving me some information and he is also trying to loss weight, so we go to the gym together sometimes. I wouldn't mind getting a personal trainer to help me at the gym, but they're like (some) car sales men and I don't want to deal with the hassle of that.

For dinner I had grilled chicken, rice, guacamole, salsa, and tortilla's.

Look for a college textbook on the subject of nutrition and exercise.
  • Author

Thanks Flesh, I will look into that! I need it :).

Yesterday I had:

Breakfast - Slimfast and Nutrigran Bar

Lunch - 1/2 Carne Asada Burrito

Dinner - Steak, Salad, Rice, Veggies and Candy @ the movies

Today I have had:

Breakfast - Jamba Juice Smoothie, Part of a Luna Bar

Snack - Slim Fast

Lunch - Rolled Tacos, Chips with Guacamole

I am going to try to make it to the gym tonight, wish me luck!!

Red,

Congratulations on the figure skating, wow! the coordination you must have. I'm also trying to loose some pounds; I'm borderline overweight; I'm a size 6, but I'm only 5'1", very short ;).

Today I had:

Breeakfast: 1 cup of coffe 1tsp of brown sugar, 1/3 cup of oatmeal with 100ml of skim milk, 1 slice of whole wheat toast

Snack: 1 appe & almonds

Lunch: Grilled chicken breast, broccoli and cucumbers

Sncak: protein shake

I see you like your guacamole :), but if you are eating fried chips, you might be adding more calories than you think. I love tortillas, but instead of eating them fried, I toast them in the microwave, they are delicious, and they get rid of my tostada cravings. I also read somewhere that 1 wheat tortilla is the equivalent in calories as 16 corn tortillas. :eek:

Keep up the good work

• Author

Hi Baker. Okay, so a size 6 and border line overweight??? That does not sound right. I was told I was overweight by 5 lbs by my doctor. My brother in laws response: "I could sh&t five pounds right now." HAHA, you can't be overweight by much...

Sounds like you have been eating very healthy, much better then me anyways and it sounds yummy also.

Sheessshhh, I did not know that about the flour tortilla's vs. corn tortilla's, I think I know what I am going to pick now. At home I bake our tortilla's, I don't fry much at home. Even when I make grilled cheese sandwhichs (not often) I use Pam instead of butter. Gross I know, but I don't like the grease.

For dinner I had:

Two slices of turkey, 1oz of cheese, 5 ritz crackers and an apple.

• Author

I have to add, if you go by your BMI, it might be a little scewed depending on your muscle. A 15 year old girl at the rink told me her BMI showed her to be overweight. She can't be more then 100 lbs, like a size 2 (no kidding). But she figure skates and plays hockey so she is pretty much muscle.

Way to give an already tiny 15 year old a complex about her weight!!