I need some Encouragement. on day 9 of not smoking.

tealeafbud

sometimes I'll be out and about and want to stop at the gas station to buy some cigs.

Or i'll be at the store and want to go through the cig aisle to buy some cigs.

I was at the bar saturday and wanted to smoke a cig.

it's weird, you would figure I'd feel better about not smoking after 9 days, but I'm starting to get a stronger "itch".

Does anyone have any encouraging words for an ex smoker?

Thanks.

tlb. good job so far. please by all means keep going. you're better and stronger, than those sticks of death. also keep away from the bars and alchol until you've got this defeated. good luck.

It will take you about two months to get really rid of the urge to have a cigarette. Yes, it's a long period. So don't think about it.

Why don't you have a ritual every 10 days of non-smoking? Something nice that you'll really enjoy...and that have usually.

Like a special dish, or going out to have a coffee at a fancy place you haven't been before. You can use the money you saved on the cigarettes.

And it is only one day till the first pleasure round.

So stay away from the cigarettes! You can do it!:bunny:

curiousnycgirl

I quit on February 20th and I have to be honest, there is not a single moment of the day that I don't want a cigarette. My metabolism has slowed down to nothing, and I miss my smokes.

Having said that - I finally have begun to notice that I do feel better without them. I am very proud of myself for sticking with it - and you should be too!

I have made this committment and I am not going to succumb to temptation. If I can do it - so can you!

• Author
tealeafbud

Thank you all for your kind words. It really helps me to stick to my commitment to not smoke. I've quit several times, but I want this one to be a keeper. I find it ironic that when I do return to smoking after a lapse in not smoking, I automatically feel guilty and feel like I shouldn't have bought that pack, or whatever. I always want to throw away the pack after the first one. But, never do.

But I can find better things to spend that money on. Like freakin gas ?

climbergirl

I know exactly how you feel, tlb.

In order to not be bored, I had to get out of my house. Once out of my house-there's the opportunity to buy cigarettes. Now I just bike anywhere within a 5 mile radius-which helps because it pisses me off when I'm out of breath.

I wish I could say something to help--but the only thing I can think of is-hopefully-these urges become less and less frequent.

That, and I think it's awesome you've gone almost two weeks w/o smoking.:cool:

• Author
tealeafbud
I know exactly how you feel, tlb.

In order to not be bored, I had to get out of my house. Once out of my house-there's the opportunity to buy cigarettes. Now I just bike anywhere within a 5 mile radius-which helps because it pisses me off when I'm out of breath.

I wish I could say something to help--but the only thing I can think of is-hopefully-these urges become less and less frequent.

That, and I think it's awesome you've gone almost two weeks w/o smoking.:cool:

Thank you. I just wanted to remind everyone that smokes or is quitting that May 31st is the Official World No Tobacco Day. I know that I'll be able to celebrate that being 11 days without smoking . YAY.

never quit quitting!

sometimes I'll be out and about and want to stop at the gas station to buy some cigs.

Or i'll be at the store and want to go through the cig aisle to buy some cigs.

I was at the bar saturday and wanted to smoke a cig.

it's weird, you would figure I'd feel better about not smoking after 9 days, but I'm starting to get a stronger "itch".

Does anyone have any encouraging words for an ex smoker?

Thanks.

I Sure doooooo.. I too am an ex-smoker 100 exactly. I smoked for 14 years. I sometimes think about cigs about smoking one or a drag... but all in all its sooo not worth it.. I feel great honestly and soo happy that i quit that nasty, smelllyyy habit.. I have saved 150$ from not buying them!!

My lungs feel Great!

You can do it!!! I know you can!!!!

whichwayisup

Congrats to you and keep up the hard work! You can inspire ME to quit, I keep saying I will quit, but I don't......I think I'm too scared to try to stop, maybe it's the fear of what happens when you quit and have the withdrawal..

Curmudgeon

Maybe this will help. Here's my non-smoking story as of this moment today:

Quit Date: Friday, November 30, 2007 at 9:30:00 PM

Time Smoke-Free: 182 days, 15 hours, 23 minutes

Cigarettes NOT smoked: 3653

Lifetime Saved: 27 days, 21 hours

Money Saved: $915.00

This site may help you: http://quitnet.com/

Curmudgeon
Congrats to you and keep up the hard work! You can inspire ME to quit, I keep saying I will quit, but I don't......I think I'm too scared to try to stop, maybe it's the fear of what happens when you quit and have the withdrawal..

Aswk your doctor about Chantix. I smoked for over 40 years and tried it all; cold turkey, Nicorette, patches, hypnosis, Wellbutrin, you name it. The drug, Chantix, worked for me in about three months and, even more amazingly, for my wife as well after about three additional weeks and she has an even more addictive personality than I do.

It's been six months yesterday since I had a cigarette and with the Chantix there was virtually little withdrawal and if I even think about a cigarette it's maybe once or twice a month, just for a second, and it passes.

whichwayisup

Did you have any side effects with the chantix? This is my concern, I've read this drug is the least of them all, but recently I did read (Might have been here on LS?) someone was on it and went crazy.

Congrats Cur!

Quit Date: Friday, November 30, 2007 at 9:30:00 PM

Time Smoke-Free: 182 days, 15 hours, 23 minutes

Cigarettes NOT smoked: 3653

Lifetime Saved: 27 days, 21 hours

Money Saved: $915.00

Anal, but very funny. Love how much $$ you've saved!

Curmudgeon
Did you have any side effects with the chantix? This is my concern, I've read this drug is the least of them all, but recently I did read (Might have been here on LS?) someone was on it and went crazy.

Congrats Cur!

Anal, but very funny. Love how much $$ you've saved!

It's the website I referenced that keeps those statistics. Every time I sign in it gives me an update whether I want it or not.

If I have my meds right, the only side effect was one we were warned about and that's strange dreams. Those occurred for a week or two -- vivid but not frightening, just strange -- and that was it. I've also heard tell of suicidal ideations because the drug blocks the dopamine receptors but I've never felt more alive!

• Author
tealeafbud

I hope everyone had a wonderful World No Tobacco day yesteryay (Saturday May 31st). today is day 12 of no smoking for me.

Next week will be 2 weeks. My car smells great and my lungs are very thankful.

Art_Critic
I hope everyone had a wonderful World No Tobacco day yesteryay (Saturday May 31st). today is day 12 of no smoking for me.

Next week will be 2 weeks. My car smells great and my lungs are very thankful.

Keep it up.. you may not realize it but what you are doing today could possibly be saving your life.

Well.. it is actually saving your life but I didn't want to make such a forward thinking post....

• Author
tealeafbud

Thanks ArtCritic, I think we need more Forward Thinking Posts (FTP) on this board!