I hate my stomach!! And it hates me back.

I am so sick! I get GERD, or something, everyday! My stomach always hurts, I think it's time for a diet makeover. No more coffee, sweets, greasy food, etc. Anyting else I should leave out?

I just can't stand it. I have heartburn, sour stomach, diarrhea, I am bloated, etc almost everyday!

I just need to rant. I want to cry I am so tired of feeling sick!!

I feel like this: :sick:

Mustang Sally

I'd get rid of carbonation, caffeine, fried foods, spicy foods and talk to your healthcare provider about your symptoms and possible further workup. It may not just be GERD, but could also be peptic ulcer disease or gastritis, or your gallbladder, to name a few.

Good luck.

Also make it about what you add in:

Lots of fiber (nothing like All-Bran I swear to God. It gets worse before it gets better, but it was my miracle cure: I struggled with IBS for years and then my doctor put me on an all-bran diet and I've never had a problem since - it involved putting all bran in my spagetthi sauce, all bran in my salad, all bran everywhere!)

More fiber (nothing like fresh fruits and veggies)

Lots of water

I find eating low acid fruits (avocado, mango), nuts (almonds) fish and seaweed (such as the kind you find in sushi) also helps with acid reflux.

Storyrider
I'd get rid of carbonation, caffeine, fried foods, spicy foods and talk to your healthcare provider about your symptoms and possible further workup. It may not just be GERD, but could also be peptic ulcer disease or gastritis, or your gallbladder, to name a few.

Good luck.

When you described your symptoms, I was reminded of a friend with Crohn's disease.

• Author

I have been eating more sushi. I made a doctors appointment, I leave in a just a few.

Luckily I keep track of what I eat everyday, so I am brining that with me.

Also, I know this is gross, but:

After getting Diarrhea in the morning, I will get consitpated, then when I get gasy and try to go to the bathroom # 2, instead i just end up burping a lot and painful.

Gessshhh! It's nice that this board is anonymous.

Today I had coffee, a powerbar and a Sonoma Salad. Yesterday I had a small muffin (I made at home), coffee, half a bean burrito (I know, duh), 2 V8's, a powerbar and a bowel of chicken noodle soup.

The day before, two muffins, a carmel frap, chick soup, and chicken soup.

I know...I need to lay off the coffee.

• Author

Does a Sonoma salad not count? It was lettacem grilled chicken, walnuts, apple slices, dried cranberries and red wine vinegrette dressing. Yum!!!

The chicken soup I made had: Chicken of course, rice, corn, kidney beans, dice tomatoes (a lot) and hominey (sp). So there was a good balance, but I agree...I need to eat more veggies and fruits. I want to switch to banana and toast for breakfast w/ juice to drink. No more coffee or starchy muffins.

So I saw my doctor and he gave me a prescription for Prilosec (sp) he said GERD can cause all of those symptoms. He also scheduld a colonoscopy for me, yuck!!

Mustang Sally

Ok.

If you're having diarrhea alternating with constipation, then I agree that it sounds more like IBS (irritable bowel syndrome) vs IBD (irritable bowel disease), the latter of which includes things like Crohn's and Ulcerative Colitis....but I'm getting myself too far into this.

Best to just see what your healthcare provider thinks.

Good luck.

If you have bowel symptoms, I agree with Kamille that more fiber (and plenty of oral fluids - like water) are important additions. Caffeine and high glucose loads (i.e. lots of pop) can exacerbate diarrhea, so I'd stay away from those.

Let us know how it turns out!

blind_otter

Oh you have my sympathies. I had a laundry list of digestive issues in late high school and throughout college. I had GERD as well as something called Idiopathic Gastropareisis (versus the diabetic kind).

Although I do recommend seeing a doctor, and perhaps getting a referral to a gastroenterologist, be prepared for a butt load (pun intended) of tests. Upper GI endoscopy, colonoscopy, and some other ones I don't remember the name of that involved being strapped to a table while they make you drink some fizzy disgusting crap and then watch you digestive organs work.

Trialbyfire

Have you had your thyroids checked? Sometimes hyper-thyroids can produce similar symptoms.

So I saw my doctor and he gave me a prescription for Prilosec (sp) he said GERD can cause all of those symptoms. He also scheduld a colonoscopy for me, yuck!!

That's pretty standard. They have to eliminate the possibility of anything more serious.

• 3 weeks later...
georgejungle

I Am SOOOO with you on this.

and yeah, my answer was to change my diet around. I know it

works because i fell off the wagon and started drinking strong coffee

every morning again for the past month and yep, the runs came back.

I've come to realize from talking to others that some people just

have more sensitive stomachs than others. Mine hurts right now.

It started a little under a year ago. Then i finally got it squared

away, was healthy and feeling good for months. But then started

getting lazy and was eating whatever and now i'm paying the price

again. Just a gnawing painful feeling in my gut. Acid indigestion.

Can't sleep at night sometimes, it's miserable. A few times i got

attacks so bad, i went to the emergency room. They checked me

out and kept telling me that i was stressed and all this was due to

stress. I felt like a baloon that couldn't pop, soo painful.

it can be controlled. I know it can, i just need to get back on the

right track and stay there. i hate feeling like this. it can depress

the heck out of you. my mood gets irritable when i'm like this too.

it's not fun. But i feel your pain, literally. cut out the bad stuff for

now see if it helps. Stay away from the antacids, they don't work

and tend to make things worse, i've read this and experienced it.

The antacids or Maalox or Gas-X things don't work for me.

Just watch what you eat and go on a detox...look it up on the

internet, i think it's the BRAT diet. It helped me get right.

Plenty of Yogurt TOO with live cultures, plain is best. the probiotics

in the yogurt help your digestive tract and help regulate things. It's

not a cure, but a helper.

• Author

Hi George! Aggghhh, I know what you mean! Sorry that you are going through this. It has been so bad lately. It's funny my husband got heart burn the other day which he never get's and he was miserable and I told him, sorry hun, but now you know how I feel every day.

I went to the doctors and got some Prilosec, two weeks ago and I have been taking it everyday (although somtimes I forget to take it before a meal and take it after) it's suppose to take one week to kick in and still I have heart burn.

I am do depressed, I can't tell if I am bloated or getting fat...I hate it. I feel gross about my stomach. When I did go to the doctors I asked him that, and he said I am just bloated, but it's ruining my self esteem. I have been changing my diet some, no coffee, no V8, no oranges, low dairy, etc.

I go in for a GI consult and then a colonoscipy :(. At the end of the month so hopefully I will know more.

Good luck with your stomach...and I will try the yogurt :).

• 3 weeks later...
I am so sick! I get GERD, or something, everyday! My stomach always hurts, I think it's time for a diet makeover. No more coffee, sweets, greasy food, etc. Anyting else I should leave out?

I just can't stand it. I have heartburn, sour stomach, diarrhea, I am bloated, etc almost everyday!

I just need to rant. I want to cry I am so tired of feeling sick!!

I feel like this: :sick:

I was exactly like you and misdiganosed with IBS for years, my condition worsened and eventually i was admitted to hospital with an ulcer.

For years, i couldn't eat any fruit, anything fried, peppers, vinegar, pasta, rice or bread would have me in agony. if i didnt eat something at least every two hours i would swell up and literally look 6 months pregnant. i couldnt eat large meals, and i found if i didnt eat enough that would bring on the bloating as well.

It turns out i produce too much stomach acid, it was literally eating my stomach and excess acid was travelling through my colon, causing swelling which would result in constipation.

I now take a proton pump inhibitor every day and problem solved. No more acid and very little bloating. I still have problems with my colon as it doesnt function *normally* but with time it will heal itself.

Word of warning, dont take any ibuprofen or any antacids - they can make the condition much worse..

• 2 weeks later...

Hey there

Try pro - biotics. It will clean you right out and stop the stomach upset and bloating. I can't live without. Its fabulous

Trust me I know your pain. From the second I wake up and eat until I go to bed I have a stomach ache. I have tried so many different things and nothing ever helps. I have no idea what could be wrong since I have had many different tests done and nothing ever shows up in them.

I have been trying to go as long as I can everyday without eating since as soon as I take my first bite of food the pain starts but I kinda have to eat something so I really don't know what I can do.

I can totally related, Red. I used to be controlled by my digestive system, it was terrible.

Thing is, it's been a while since I've had tummy problems, and I now see how critical a clean, healthy diet consisting of tons of fruits and veggies is. I mean, TONS of NON-STARCHY fruits and veggies. I eat tons of carrots, red bell pepper, spinach and apples. I sometimes feel like a rabbit, but I swear, without those foods I'd be miserable.

All the bloat is gone too. Seriously, try being a rabbit for 2 weeks and see how you feel.