Last year I was riding my hybrid bike & rode from work to home (25 miles) 6-7 times so this year I decided to buy a road bike.

I've had it now for about 6 weeks & since we still get snow & colder weather I have been able to put 350 miles on it. Today was perfect (except that damn wind) so I put 50 miles on. I've done two 25 miles, one 35 mile trip so I had planned on doing 40 miles today but it ended up being 50 miles.

I couldn't believe all the bikers out today, some in big groups & a lot of us just out on our own. Hopefully I'll be able to meet up with some others & get in one of those group rides, they really look like fun.

I'm trying to get in as many miles as I can because I have a century (100 miles) planned June first, a co-worker talked me into it.

If anyone else rides & has any good suggestions I'm always open to learning. Sounds like eating & fluids are two of the important ones to work on.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't have any suggestion but good job. I have recently started working out. I couldn't imagine riding that far. It sounds like you are doing a great job.

• Author

This weekend we had nice weather so Friday I rode the 26 miles home from work, Saturday I did my biggest ride of 65 miles then a recovery ride Sunday of 25 miles.

Tonight I'm cleaning house & watching TV. ;):D:laugh:

Thanks amy22, I do enjoy the bike rides. So far I ride by myself or with my buddy who also bought a bike at the same time, but he doesn't get out as often as I have.

• 2 months later...
  • Author

It's been 4 months since I bought my bicycle & the weather has been nice now that I've really been putting on the miles.

Last month I did my first century (100 mile) ride & that wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. I was able to put 1,000 miles on before that ride & most people said that would be a good base.

Then I joined a local bicycle club that has really helped, there are members all over but we have a small group here in town that go out often.

Last Monday I found out that there are two other members that hope to get 2,000 miles (this year) on before the 4th so it got me thinking, maybe I could do it as well even though I was a few miles behind them.

I rode home a couple times this last week & went out for a 35 mile ride last evening.

Today I rode 50 miles & tomorrow we plan on doing a metric century (62.5 miles) and then a couple more commutes from home & I'll be there. I have 1,860.0 as of today so I'm close.

You would think with all the exercise I would be losing weight like crazy but it just seems to stay the same, but then my eating habits haven't been that great but I get hungry...:eek::D

I had made a goal for myself this year to ride 3,000 miles & at the beginning of the year that seemed so far away, but now it isn't looking a lot better.

If you are looking for some type of exercise & don't like running I feel riding a bike is a good one, specially when there are hills in the way.

Our club name is Club Hypoxia, altitude or oxygen pick one!!!:eek: Around here you can't have both.

Hey, PW. Sounds like you're having fun. I used to ride a lot. I raced from high school until grad school. I remember the addictive aspect of it when you're starting a training cycle. Every day you seem to be able to go farther and faster. I switched to trail running and mountain biking though. My road cycling days are going to be pretty rare from now on.

johan eeewww is that you in that awful pic???

seriously....think twice!!!!!!

No, the other one is me.

• Author

I have a co-worker that used to race & he keeps trying to get me to ride the 40+ group but I keep telling him I just like to ride for fun.

I have noticed I do a lot better as the ride goes, seems like it takes me about 25-30 miles to finally get going. :confused:

There is something about just hitting the open road, I used to ride motorcycles but it isn't the same.

When I can get out into the country it is fun because you see & hear a lot more then you do when you are in a car.