Doing A Fish And Fruit Diet..good Or Bad??

Hi all. I am on a bit of a health kick..and was wondering How healthy just eating fish and fruit for a couple weeks would be?

I'm doing this in addition to a exercise program to drop a couple lbs

faster....Spring is around the corner, so I want to be able to wear my shorts without cringing!!! :)

Whenever you are considering a diet and have questions about it you should consult either a doctor or a nutritionist.

Hi all. I am on a bit of a health kick..and was wondering How healthy just eating fish and fruit for a couple weeks would be?

I'm doing this in addition to a exercise program to drop a couple lbs

faster....Spring is around the corner, so I want to be able to wear my shorts without cringing!!! :)

Losing weight is not about a 'couple of weeks diet' it's about changing your whole lifestyle (healthy eating and exercise program)..

If you go on those drastic diets.. you will lose weight for a short period of time, only to gain it all back and more..

Fish is great..but not just fish.. vegetables and fruits are also good.

If I were you I would consult a nutritionist... and get a good trainer..

There is NO miracle cure for losing weight... it's a change of lifestyle.. simple..

• Author

Thanks. I understand it's a lifestyle change.I was only going to do this for a couple weeks as a way to kick it into gear until I get used to the exercise regimine, then gradually impletement other foods back into my diet. I just though this would be a good way to drop a few lbs fast. I'll probably eat veggies too, but I'll cut out all the junk...bread, pasta, etc....for the first two weeks.

melodymatters

There is no harm in eating lean protiens and fruits and vegetable for a couple of weeks. Just cut out, sweets, carbs and excess fats. I wouldn't just stick to fish and fruit though. have skinless chicken, lean beef, and add veggies.

While of course losing weight is a lifestyle change, a few weeks of eating a cleaner diet, sometimes helps you lose the taste for crappy, fatty, chemical-y foods, and gets you used to feeling fuller quicker.

I would definitely add veggies.

Why is it just fish?

Fish is really good for you, but be careful with some of the fish that can have high mercury content. It's recommended to only eat those every few days.

What has guided you towards this narrow "fish and fruit diet?" Is this something you read, something you heard discussed, or just something you came up with on your own?

I would think that making an exercise routine part of your lifestyle (as it sounds like you are planning,) plus cutting out those unfavorable components in your diet (as suggested by melody,) plus keeping an eye on portion control, would be preferable to zeroing in on such a nutritionally narrow food selection, and would allow you to keep a healthy, nutritionally broad diet, while probably still meeting your goals.

But as B_O and others pointed out, you should seek the advice of someone with real nutritional knowledge to be sure of your plans.

Sounds like a fad diet. Lizzie is right, you wanna lose weight and keep it off? You need a lifestyle change. No 2-3-4-5 week diet is going to do anything in the long run. And fish and fruit while you're trying to lose fat? Yes, they have natural fat in them but they still have rather high levels of fat compared to a lot of other choices.

shadowofman

How about a different point of view. Instead of looking at diet as a lifestyle change, consider the fact that you could eat healthy, and the more that you eat healthy, the healthier you will be. In other words, as long as you understand what foods are healthy for you, you can eat as much of them as you

feel the need to be healthier, in place of foods that are not healthy.

Yes, good nutrition might need to be a lifestyle change. But it's not an all or nothing deal for everyone. Just eat healthier foods most of the time. Unless you suffer from an auto-immune deficiency or are considered obese. Then you need a full on lifestyle change

Now there is great debate over what foods are healthy, and this has been going on since the beginning of recorded history. As far as modern science has come up with, healthy foods are as follows: Lean meats high in Omega-3. Eat as much as you like. Lean meat actually helps your body burn fat, and is your greatest ally in weight loss. Fresh fruits and veggies. You will get all of your sugars and chemical aspects of nutrition from fruits and veggies. If you are looking to trim some fat, go easy on the fruits. Keep the blood sugar up, so if you are exercising, eat more.

Steer away from grains (high glycemic sugars that rob your body of nutrients), tubers and legumes (high glycemic sugars and foreign proteins that can work against your immune system), dairy (high in sat fat, high glycemic sugars, and foreign proteins)

High Glycemic Sugars shock your pancreas into overproducing insulin. This causes your body to store more energy into fat. Foreign proteins are what cause food allergies; cause you to have worse hayfever and seasonal allergies because your body is fight the food you ate instead of concentrating on these invaders; and can even lead to serious auto-immune diseases like lupis, rheumatoid arthritis, MS.

shadowofman

Salmon is a great lean protein, yet high in Omega-3. There is a serious danger with the levels of mercury in fish, as someone has pointed out previously. Turkey is actually leaner and healthier than fish, believe it or not. Also cuts of beef like the sirloin and fillet, pork tenderloin, and boneless skinless chicken are great sources of lean protein too. As I have said before, lean protein is your greatest helper in burning fat. It actually takes more energy to digest then it is providing to your metabolism, all the while helping build stronger muscle, which in turn is more of the fat burning mechanism of the body.

• 3 weeks later...
Quiksilver ca

A 'blah and blah' diet is never healthy.

Your body has need for nutrients outside of the ones that those food types offer.

Also, fruit should be eaten sparingly as most fruits have higher sugar content. Stick to low GI fruits like apples, apricots, blackberries, etc.

Salmon is excellent food source, but don't underestimate steak, chicken, turkey, and other unrefined meat sources.

A good substitute for fruit is potatoes, oats, yams, etc.

Also, cook with unsalted butter and virgin/extra virgin olive oil. Use as much as you like, the saturated fats in butter and monounsaturated fats in olive oil are both needed by your body.

No margarine. period.