So if you had to choose one fruit, maaaaybe two, to have around for an "on the go" snack, which would you choose? Keep in mind factors like nutritional value, taste, and shelf life. I want to start eating more fruit and would benefit from eating a couple more times during the day. I'm prone to bananas, but am curious about some other ideas.

The best fruit's whatever's local and in-season so it would depend...

In the summer, my faves are mangoes, watermelon, apricots, various berries.

Fall: pomegranates, persimmons.

Winter: clementines and tangerines.

I'm kind of a fruit snob.

Whilst the green robot is asleep, coco will play ;)

And what if johan beats me up?! My face is just too pretty to risk it. You could only provide me with transient pleasure, anyway.

I'm kind of a fruit snob.

:D:D:D You go, spookie!! I'm more of a blue-collar meat-and-potatoes kind of girl... although I do SO enjoy somebody else preparing it for me, so it's really not an "on-the-go snack" experience for me. Fruit should be treasured and savored when it is consumed, almost like a religious ceremony or ritual. Canteloupe, honeydew melon, strawberries, blueberries, bananas (cut up and mixed in with the straw/blueberries, of course - with cream poured over it, and sprinkled with sugar). Yummy!!!

So if you had to choose one fruit, maaaaybe two, to have around for an "on the go" snack, which would you choose? Keep in mind factors like nutritional value, taste, and shelf life. I want to start eating more fruit and would benefit from eating a couple more times during the day. I'm prone to bananas, but am curious about some other ideas.

I loooove bananas... could be the shape... :laugh:

Seriously... I have one every morning for breakfast... with peanut butter... potassium is good for high blood pressure...

Then I love blueberries... I try to eat as much as I can... they contain load of antioxydants...

I can't pick just two. I like fruit way too much, but for health, I would go with a type of berry for the antioxidants and an orange for the vitamin C.

I love fruit so much.

I eat whatever is in season.

But my favorite stand by is apples. I usually have an apple a day. Than in winter I love clemetines, bannans, pear, kiwi, pommegranates.

summer: I can't get enough of fresh berries, watermelon, peaches, plums, necatrines, cateloupe. Mangos,

I love fruit so much.

I eat whatever is in season.

But my favorite stand by is apples. I usually have an apple a day. Than in winter I love clemetines, bannans, pear, kiwi, pommegranates.

summer: I can't get enough of fresh berries, watermelon, peaches, plums, necatrines, cateloupe. Mangos,

An apple a day really does keep the doctor away. I eat one every morning on the way to work and I am healthy as they come.

*Knocks on wood*

KenzieAbsolutely

apples and grapes are best for on the go, and so are bananas so you're off to a good start with those.

anything that can be pre-washed or can be easily peeled is good, like oranges.

pomegranates are great, but inconvenient, as is carambola.

you're making me want fruit!

Saxis is correct. Oranges and blueberries.

And if you're trying to make an overall dietary change, also work in turkey, walnuts, broccoli, oats, carrots and the other superfoods I can't recall right now.

EDIT: Here is the complete list:

Apples

Avocado

Beans

Blueberries

Broccoli

Cinnamon

Dark Chocolate

Dried SuperFruits

Extra Virgin Olive Oil

Garlic

Honey

Kiwi

Low Fat Yogurt

Oats

Onions

Oranges

Pomegranates

Pumpkin

Soy

Spinach

Tea

Tomatoes

Turkey

Walnuts

Wild Salmon

Edited by johan

For the portables, I vote green apples (can also be paired with peanut butter for a great snack). If it's the summer, I like nectarines. :)

I eat a banana every morning. If there are no banana's around, I'll eat grapes and an orange. For some reason I just can't eat an apple in the morning.