Hi everyone! This seems like a great support forum, and I am in desperate need of something to fall back on.

I'm 17, 6 feet tall, and 170 pounds. I am a former rower; I had to quit when I was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis and lupus at 16. Since my diagnosis, I've put on a few pounds and I'm finding it difficult to get to the gym due to my extremely busy senior year and finding time when I'm not in pain.

I used to go to the gym every day at least once, sometimes twice. I've tried fad diets but I just can't stick to them! I'm a picky vegetarian which makes popular diets unsuitable for me.

I'm not really sure why I'm here. I kind of feel like a support group is the last component that I need to really stick to my guns and get this weight off. Oh yeah, I've been trying to lose 20 pounds for, I dunno, EVER! I just can't get it off! I am impatient and I want instant results like the rest of the world! :)

If anyone has any tips or tricks, I would love to hear them. Anyone else have RA or lupus?

And can anyone give me some good goal dates as to when I can finally have this weight off?

Anything will help! :)

Thank you!

Sincerely,

Ella :D

Seriously, seriously, seriously!

I know some about autoimmune diseases like RA and Lupis.

http://thepaleodiet.com/index.shtml

It's not a fad.

It's backed up by over 50 years of scientific fact. It's a logical explaination for the 'diseases of cilvilization'.

Basically, the diseases that you have are auto immune diseases. You probably already know all this, but auto immune is where the body is tricked into fighting itself. Your body is fighting itself because you are eating things that humans are not evolved to eat. Like grains, legumes, tubers, dairy, and refined sugars. Preagricultural peoples, in the past and those living this way today, don't have these diseases. This is backed up by archeological and anthropological evidence. A preagricultural diet will "cure" you of these 'diseases of civilization'.

So you say you are a picky vegetarian? Have you been since before you were diagnosed?

Are you eating beans to get your protein?

These may be your problem. Meat is much easier to digest. The proteins are more familiar to your digestive system.

I would be wary of any diet recommending going back to the eating habits humans had in the Stone Age, where the average life expectancy was 30 years.

Legumes and whole grains are essential to any healthy diet, as most doctors and nutritionists would agree, and removing them from her restricted vegetarian diet could be devastating to her body.

Personally, I recently started trying to cook healthier meals for my husband. He found out a couple months ago that his cholesterol is too high. According to the doctor, he needs to lose 30 pounds as well, so I began looking for ways to help him.

I found a couple of nice books filled with healthy recipes that are easy to make and will help you achieve your body weight while maintaining adequate nutrition. Here are the links if you want to give them a look. Both are published by the American Heart Association.

Quick and Easy Cookbook: More than 200 Healthful recipes

One-Dish Meals: Over 200 All-New, All-in-One Recipes

They both contain extensive vegetarian sections and they should give you plenty to play with and experiment. Stay away from fad diets. They might work for some people, but they are just as likely to harm your body by throwing off balance your nutrition.

There's no such thing as healthy fast weight loss. You need to begin by eating properly. Being vegetarian, you're halfway there already, but you need to develop proper habits and knowing what is good for you and what isn't and the amounts your body needs.

Finding a source of physical activity that you can do a few times a week is important as well. I don't know the details of your condition so I will refrain from giving any specific advice in that regard.

I hope this helps. Let us know how things go! :)

-E

• Author

Thank you all for your feedback!

post 1:

Yes, on most days, my condition inhibits my ability to simply run on the road. Usually, every joint in my body feels like it's on fire and having hundreds of tiny pin being stuck in them. So running is usually the last thing that I want to do.

post 2:

Thank you for your reply; however, I'm not sure if I agree with your logic. I appreciate an alternative outlook though, so thank you!

post 3:

Those books look great! I'm going to go pick one up today. I very much appreciate your post.

:)

Fair enough, but I might add that Dr. Loren Cordain is the Sports Medicine Professor at Colorado State University and Joe Friel is a triath. trainer (probably the best in the biz).

Together, they wrote the "Paleodiet for Athletes", and since you are a rower, you might be interested in what Joe has to say about endurance and diet.

First, I suggest you get off the vegetarianism. If you don't like the fact that fuzzy animals are dying, thats cool. I'm not going to try and convince you to change your morals, but vegetarianism is NOT the healthiest way to live.

And you can't say that beans and grains are "a part of a nutritious diet. Humans ate without them for millions of years. There life expectancies were short because of the dangers of living in the wild, not because they died of heart disease or lupis.

Vegetarian diets aren't ideal nutrition-wise, but it is her choice, and as such, we should try to help her improve within her choices, instead of trying to talk her out of it or convince her that her diet is "wrong", when it really isn't.

Jengaaa, since you have chosen to be a vegetarian, you must be warned that it is fairly common for vegetarians and vegans to suffer from a lack of B12 vitamin which comes from dairy and foods of animal origin (including meat) primarily, which you probably do not consume. I would suggest taking a multi-vitamin complex that makes up for this possible deficiency and others you are likely to cause while dieting, so that you stay strong while you lose weight. Last thing you want is to become anemic.

Furthermore, legumes are a great source of iron and fiber, while whole grains provide a host of beneficial things for the human body: antioxidants, dietary minerals (magnesium, phosphorus, and others), proteins, vitamins (B6, E and niacin), as well as lots of fiber.

All of these things have been proven to be essential to achieve a properly balanced, healthy body. Emphasis should be placed on the benefits of dietary fiber in particular, which has been shown in many health studies to greatly reduce incidence of diseases such as cancer, diabetes, obesity, coronary heart disease and others.

For these reasons, I find advocating a diet which does not contain any of these foods to be ludicrous and very possibly dangerous to one's body.

If you are serious about dieting, I would strongly advise visiting an endocrinologist or a nutritionist. They can help you devise a diet that won't harm you and will provide everything your body needs as well as monitor your progression so you don't end up doing more harm than good to yourself.

Lastly, regarding possible exercise choices, consider swimming. The water allows you to exercise while being a very low impact activity. I think this could be a good choice for you, since it will be very gentle on your joints and allow you to work your whole body.

Take care of yourself. :)

-E

Vegetarian diets aren't ideal nutrition-wise, but it is her choice, and as such, we should try to help her improve within her choices, instead of trying to talk her out of it or convince her that her diet is "wrong", when it really isn't.

Ok, I'm not trying to tell anyone to do anything. I am only reporting on scientific finding.

Jengaaa...if you have chosen vegetarianism because you are morally against killing animals, I have no arguement.

But, if you think it's healthier, you have been lied to.

Jengaaa, since you have chosen to be a vegetarian, you must be warned that it is fairly common for vegetarians and vegans to suffer from a lack of B12 vitamin which comes from dairy and foods of animal origin (including meat) primarily, which you probably do not consume. I would suggest taking a multi-vitamin complex that makes up for this possible deficiency and others you are likely to cause while dieting, so that you stay strong while you lose weight. Last thing you want is to become anemic.

Yes, take your vitamins. Though, we should all recognize that a complete diet would not require vitamin suppliments. You can get all the vitamins you require from a variety of meats, fruits, and veggies. All I'm saying. If you are not eating a diverse diet, then by all means eat your vitamins.

Furthermore, legumes are a great source of iron and fiber, while whole grains provide a host of beneficial things for the human body: antioxidants, dietary minerals (magnesium, phosphorus, and others), proteins, vitamins (B6, E and niacin), as well as lots of fiber.

They are a source of several things that your body needs, and a source of things your body doesn't need.

The Evolutionary Discordance of Grains and Legumes in the Human Diet

http://beyondveg.com/cordain-l/grains-leg/grains-legumes-1a.shtml

All of these things have been proven to be essential to achieve a properly balanced, healthy body. Emphasis should be placed on the benefits of dietary fiber in particular, which has been shown in many health studies to greatly reduce incidence of diseases such as cancer, diabetes, obesity, coronary heart disease and others.

False, it's not the fiber that reduces incidence of disease. It's the increase in fruits and veggies (which are high in fiber) that reduces incidence of cancer. Fruits and veggie contribute to a net alkalinity in the kidneys, protecting the body from cancer. Incidentally, you will also never develop osteoporosis with a net alkalinity.

For these reasons, I find advocating a diet which does not contain any of these foods to be ludicrous and very possibly dangerous to one's body.

I am not suggesting that you go without vitamins, or get a poor balance of fats, proteins, and carbs. That would be dangerous. But it may also be dangerous to eat foods that are giving you lupis and RA.

Lastly, if you are serious about dieting, I would strongly advise visiting an endocrinologist or a nutritionist. They can help you devise a diet that won't harm you and will provide everything your body needs as well as monitor your progression so you don't end up doing more harm than good to yourself.

I suggest researching this for yourself and then asking your doctor about what you've found out. No one can argue that a diet full of lean meat, fresh fruits and veggies is bad for you.

And vegetarianism is not good for you.

http://beyondveg.com/index.shtml

False, it's not the fiber that reduces incidence of disease. It's the increase in fruits and veggies (which are high in fiber) that reduces incidence of cancer. Fruits and veggie contribute to a net alkalinity in the kidneys, protecting the body from cancer. Incidentally, you will also never develop osteoporosis with a net alkalinity.

Not false. There are many factors as to why cancer develops, but dietary fiber does, in fact, help protect yourself from some cancers. Here are some links for you to look over.

Dietary fiber, vitamins A, C, and E, and risk of breast cancer.

Dietary Fiber and Colorectal Cancer risk.

Diet and colorectal cancer with special reference to fiber intake.

Position of the American Dietetic Association Health Implications of Dietary Fiber.

Role of dietary fiber in colon cancer: an overview.

I can also provide many articles about dietary fiber and its effects on prevention of the other diseases I mentioned, if needed.

Either way, this is not the place to argue about this or how appropriate a vegetarian diet is, but rather, to help this girl who came to Loveshack looking for advice on how to lose weight being a vegetarian.

I am not a vegetarian myself so I'm afraid I cannot give you more specific advice, but regardless of what kind of diet you choose, the basics are the same:

* Exercise often, at least a few times a week.

* Remove all unnecessary sugars and fats, including candy, cakes, pastries and sodas.

* Don't "graze" all day long. Have a set schedule for your meals and stick to it. If you get hungry in-between, choose healthful snacks such as veggie pieces with a low-fat dip, a granola bar, a piece of fruit, or even a low fat yogurt.

* Take your vitamins to prevent yourself from becoming anemic.

* Watch the serving size and don't overeat.

* Drinking a glass of water or eating your fruit before the main course helps keep your appetite in check to avoid overeating.

Hope this helps!

-E

Your right, let's not debate the science here. I have started a new thread if your interested in continuing.

All I have to say is that the OP asked about three things. Weight gain, Lupis, and RA. Your suggestions may help with the wieght gain, but do nothing to address the other medical issues.

My suggestions understand that all three are related and can be controlled through diet.

I know what foods are causing these conditions and why your genetic predisposition can't handle them. And I know that you can fix all three at once.

• Author

Wow.

I cannot thank you two enough! Such interesting and contrasting perspectives!

I have taken multi-vitamins my entire life and I am very conscious of getting enough iron through peanut butter, nuts, various protein powders, etc.

I am not against eating meat to save furry animals, it's just the idea of eating something that could once look at me creeps me out. I've never cared for the taste of any meat; therefore, I simply don't eat it. However, I am very serious about losing this weight so I am considering incorporating the best lean meats into my diet.

I know this is a stupid question, but what is a lean meat? I think I have some idea, like salmon or something. But in reality, I have no idea. I was made fun of today at the Thanksgiving table because I was serving filet mignon and I had no idea what made it filet mignon! It's sad, but I am clueless about meat.

Shadowofman, I REALLY appreciate what you're saying. However, I don't think I have enough willpower to maintain that kind of diet for the rest of my life. I'm looking for long-term change and I just don't think that would be a good match for me.

Elyssa, you have been incredibly helpful. I agree with everything you're saying and I value your guidance very much.

Happy Thanksgiving!! :)

jengaaa

I am more interested in your health than I am you weight. that being said, if you are eating healthy, you will be loosing weight.

Your illnesses unfortunately suggest that you should make some dramatic lifestyle changes however.

I have taken multi-vitamins my entire life and I am very conscious of getting enough iron through peanut butter, nuts, various protein powders, etc.

Take your vitamins. You are most likely not getting enough from your meals.

Be careful of peanuts. They are lugumes and are most likely contributing to your auti-immune diseases. Peanuts are actually given to rats in clinical studies to give them heart disease. So they can then study treatment.

Protein powders mostly include whey and soy protein. Also could be contributing to your AI dysfunction.

Tree nuts are great if your not allergic to them (fairly common).

Get your iron from red meats and green leafy veggies like spinich.

I know this is a stupid question, but what is a lean meat?

Lean meat is meat with little fat content. Turkey (white meat) is leanest. Then fish. As far as beef and pork, pick the leanest portions of the animal. Your right, the filet is very lean, as well as the sirloin. A ribeye for instance, is not very lean. Veal is very fatty. And if you want pork, go with the tenderloin (filet basically). These are just muscles without a ton of marbled fat throughout.

Shadowofman, I REALLY appreciate what you're saying. However, I don't think I have enough willpower to maintain that kind of diet for the rest of my life. I'm looking for long-term change and I just don't think that would be a good match for me.

We are all looking for the pill that will eventually cure us of our genetic predispositions to diet.

All I suggest is that you eat healthier. As "healthier" as you can. And to look at the research and determine for yourself, what "healthier" means.

If you eat 2 out of 3 healthy meals a day, or eat healthier 5 out of 7 days a week, you will loose weight and alleviate the symptoms of your conditions.

Some people may suggest to you that you should eat whole grains instead of overly processed, white flour.

I suggest that you should eat fruit instead of overly processed whole grains. Something that would never have been even digestable without up to four stomachs.

I know this is a stupid question, but what is a lean meat? I think I have some idea, like salmon or something. But in reality, I have no idea. I was made fun of today at the Thanksgiving table because I was serving filet mignon and I had no idea what made it filet mignon! It's sad, but I am clueless about meat.

It is recommended to eat at least two servings of fatty fish every week. You'd think it's contradictory right? Actually, they are the "good" kind of fats that contain omega 3 fatty acids and vitamins D and A, all of which are important to your body.

Fatty (oily) kinds of fish: Trout, mackerel, salmon, tuna (fresh), herring, sardines, anchovies, swordfish, carp, orange roughy....

That's only some of them. Personally I love salmon and trout as they are very flavorful and easy to cook, but generally most fatty fishes are very tasty.

As for lean meats, chicken breast without skin, pork sirloin, lean beef and the leanest of them all, turkey. It's important to remember, however, that according to the guidelines of the US Department of Agriculture, a serving of meat or fish constitutes 3 ounces. In my experience, that's about half a chicken breast.

Here is a link for you to look over that contains lots of information about which foods and the proportions in which we're supposed to eat them to strike a good balance in your body.

http://www.mypyramid.gov/steps/whatshouldyoueat.html

As always, I advocate whole grains, legumes and even nuts (although you should be careful with peanuts as they are high calorie!) despite what our friend thinks, because I simply don't agree that they're the cause of your conditions. Judge for yourself, try different things and decide what is best for you based on how they make you feel. After all, you're the one who's going to have to live with it, so it better be a diet you don't hate.

My suggestions regarding food choices aren't so much directed to you losing weight but rather to build healthy habits and learning what to eat that will allow you to have a healthier body, lose weight, and keep it off. There's no point on starving yourself to lose a few pounds if you will regain them shortly after when you go off the diet. Proper habits and food choices are key to any weight loss program.

I'm glad you've found my suggestions useful so far. I'd like to hear more of your progress, I'll try to help however I can. :)

-E

I'm not trying to step on any toes.

Totally agree that omega-3 fats are very important, and that fatty fish are the best source of protein and good fat.

It's important to remember, however, that according to the guidelines of the US Department of Agriculture, a serving of meat or fish constitutes 3 ounces.

I have a comment though.

The USDA is not up to date with their recommendations for whatever reason. Even the American Heart Association representatives run from the recommendations in debates.

It's a fact that increasing your protein will cause you to loose weight. Protein takes more energy to breakdown than it provides in the first place. Vital for brain function, but a very poor energy source. This means that the more protein you eat, the more fat reserves you will burn up.

There is a danger in eating too much protein. Protein source foods contribute to a net acidity to your kidneys. Too much acid will result in an ideal environment for cancer. Will lead to osteoporosis, renal diseases, kidney stones, etc. Counteract a net acidity with fruits and veggies, which contribute to net alkalinity.

I'm not going to argue the Auto-Immune issues. The research is published if you choose to investigate.

But from a weight lose perspective, protein is your best friend.

Either kindly stick to the topic of this thread, which you can read in the very first post, or please don't post here. Off topic posts are incredibly distracting, serve no purpose and are disrespectful towards and inconsiderate of the author of the thread.

Thank you in advance for your cooperation.

Thanks for the infraction Tony. I'll leave it up to the OP to deside whether or not my comment was "off topic".