For a while now I have been having some trouble reading things from a distance. I finally said something about it to my grandma who is a retired optometrist and she said "a weak Rx like -.25 might help you, go have it checked out"

Today was the appointment. I found out my eyes were much worse than I thought, and to be honest I'm pretty bummed. The doctor told me it's scary that I've been driving without glasses but I feel like I've never had difficulty seeing while driving.

So I picked out some nice frames and they will be ready in a couple days. I sort of like the way I look in glasses but it seems like a pain. I guess I'm going to get Lasik soon. Has anyone had it done? Is it safe? Effective?

• Author
Damn you everyone else has glasses except me and I actually want them. Ungrateful biatches :laugh:

:lmao::laugh::laugh:

But I do sort of like them! I just don't think I can handle being responsible for something you can lose, break and forget so easily.

• Author
That's a bummer, but I bet you look gorgeous with your new glasses!

Thanks SG :). I find it odd that I'm upset by the findings, like I'm physically damaged, though I know a little vision issue is no big deal.

What prescription did you get?

I haven't had Lasik myself but a good friend of mine has and she's very happy with the results. You're not supposed to get Lasik until your eyes stable out though. That is, you should wait for another year and see if your eyes have gotten any worse. If so, then if you got the Lasik now you might just be throwing money away.

• Author
What prescription did you get?

I haven't had Lasik myself but a good friend of mine has and she's very happy with the results. You're not supposed to get Lasik until your eyes stable out though. That is, you should wait for another year and see if your eyes have gotten any worse. If so, then if you got the Lasik now you might just be throwing money away.

Rx= -1.25

Good point about waiting a year, that makes sense. I didn't ask the doc too many questions but he mentioned that it shouldn't get any worse at my age.

• Author
Pfffft, that ain't shyt. I'm rockin' a -6.0. :D

Oh sh*t you're blind! :laugh::p

Contacts yes? Since I haven't seen you in glasses. I didn't know that made such strong contacts :eek:

Oh sh*t you're blind! :laugh::p

Contacts yes? Since I haven't seen you in glasses. I didn't know that made such strong contacts :eek:

Pretty much. I can't even see the giant E on top of the eye chart clearly. :D

Yes, contacts. I don't know how strong they can make them but a woman I work with has like a -9 or so that she has to special order.

Pfffft, that ain't shyt. I'm rockin' a -6.0. :D

That was me...although I was rockin' the -6.50 with a stiggy.

Everything was a Monet painting.

I did Lasik, worth every penny.

I miss the accessory value of my glasses but not the need. I also do not miss contacts at all.

Allina, your prescription is not that bad really. From what I remember the best results from Lasik are prescriptions over 3.0. (I could be wrong and technology changes)

You could develop this into quite the dramatic accessory. While talking to people you can take them off to convey more empathy. Then put them back on right before making your serious point. (thinking of old movies)

If I would have done that it would have been a Mr. Magoo cartoon, or that Thelma chick from Scooby Doo.

I wish I could wear my frames on some days, but now I feel like that would make me a poser.

A good friend of mine had hers eyes (she was really shortsighted) lasered, and she said it was worth every cent.

I think you need to wait tho as TB said.

Bet you will look foxy with glasses anyway Allina!

I have just started working with a microscope at work... I can COUNT the hairs up peoples noses, and it has made such a difference, i can't believe how I coped without it...

• 3 weeks later...

I got y'all beat - I'm -7.00 and -7.25 with astigmatism. And I can't have Lasik - had two surgeons check me out and both said I have too many risk factors. (keratokonis risk, can't fully correct the vision, dry eyes)

I have had glasses since second grade; contacts since 7th grade. Now, after 20-ish years of wearing contacts, I am developing contact lens intolerance and I can't wear them as long or as often as I used to. To compensate, I got two pairs of glasses - one conservative for work, one wacky crazy pink pair for fun.

Being blind is weirdly a core part of my identity. I always, always know where my glasses are (can't function without them); and I have never lost a pair or ripped a contact lens.

I used to be jealous of people with good vision and/or ability to get Lasik. Now I just try to be thankful that my crappy vision can be corrected at all - imagine how people coped with such bad vision before modern optometry got off the ground!

• Author

Wow that's crazy I feel a huge difference with my glasses on and I'm only a -1.25. When I first got them I ran around yelling about and pointing out all the things i could see :laugh:

I haven't heard much about Lasik up in these here boonies :rolleyes: ah tell ya..

But i've been blind as a bat since i was 11 and have suffered through wearing glasses up until i was 14. I've been wearing contacts ever since. I hate glasses, but i'm sure you'll look great in them.

You might want to consider contacts while your waiting on lasik to give your eyes a break from the glasses. But i guess that all depends on if you like wearing glasses, or are a glasses hater like me.

K i'm rambling now, so tootalooo! :laugh:

• Author
I haven't heard much about Lasik up in these here boonies :rolleyes: ah tell ya..

But i've been blind as a bat since i was 11 and have suffered through wearing glasses up until i was 14. I've been wearing contacts ever since. I hate glasses, but i'm sure you'll look great in them.

You might want to consider contacts while your waiting on lasik to give your eyes a break from the glasses. But i guess that all depends on if you like wearing glasses, or are a glasses hater like me.

K i'm rambling now, so tootalooo! :laugh:

I don't wear them all the time, I don't need them for computer work, reading or just hanging out. I prefer them to drive now and in situations where I need to see far away, like theater or large meetings. I don't mind them, I think they're cute.

I don't wear them all the time, I don't need them for computer work, reading or just hanging out. I prefer them to drive now and in situations where I need to see far away, like theater or large meetings. I don't mind them, I think they're cute.

Oh, that's cool then. For some reason I thought that you have to wear them morning to night. It's good that you don't.

I started panicking once when I ran out of my disposable contacts, and a screw fell out of my glasses. I was blind for 4 hours, and started to have a panic attack. My eyes are seriously BAD.

I'm a -4 and -4.25 as of 2 years ago. They've gotten worse every time I've been to the eye dr. ever since I started wearing glasses/contacts at 12.

Man 16 years of vision correction! How time flies!

I wear mostly contacts but I got some new glasses two years ago that are stylin'. They're those bendy titanium frames (nearly weightless, and they're springy- don't fold) and rimless lenses. I really like them and would wear them in public except for the fact that the springyness acted like a toy to my demon kitties who put teeth marks in the lenses and chewed off one of the earpiece pads. Grrrrr!

Time to get some new glasses in the next month or so, I think, and I'm going for the same kind. I luv 'em!

I did blue contacts once and it was really weird.

My glasses prescription is -9.00. It is good to hear that Someone has it worse than I, Art. :laugh:

However, I wear contacts, and they are -8.00. I have worn them for over 22 years and love them. No one knows that my eyes are so bad.

As for Lasik, I am not going to do it yet. I don't know if they do it for high scrips, but even still, the idea that something could go wrong with my eyesight keeps me from checking. Having said that, I know of quite a few people who have had Lasik and have had zero problems. They all love it.

My suggestion is the same as others...wait. Wear the glasses for awhile and then decide if you want to do anything different. Contacts would be much cheaper than Lasik and personally, I think, just as good for now.

Bobby NoBrains
My glasses prescription is -9.00. It is good to hear that Someone has it worse than I, Art. :laugh:

However, I wear contacts, and they are -8.00. I have worn them for over 22 years and love them. No one knows that my eyes are so bad.

As for Lasik, I am not going to do it yet. I don't know if they do it for high scrips, but even still, the idea that something could go wrong with my eyesight keeps me from checking. Having said that, I know of quite a few people who have had Lasik and have had zero problems. They all love it.

My suggestion is the same as others...wait. Wear the glasses for awhile and then decide if you want to do anything different. Contacts would be much cheaper than Lasik and personally, I think, just as good for now.

Because glasses tend to move up and down your nose all the time, sometimes the optometrist will over-compensate the glasses to make sure your number does not go up again. Lenses are usually made for the correct number because they touch the eye and don't need over-compensation.

I've got -5.0 & -7.0 and I wear slightly over-compensated glasses. Though off late my number has reduced a bit, maybe because of bi-focal vision setting in (maybe impending middle-age ? Mid-thirties now). I've thought about Lasik, too, but the tiny risk of permanent damage outweighs the benefits for me, except lately I've been doing some more thinking about it. I prolly won't go for it, though. For me, the fear of losing vision is too high.

To the OP, if you're young and your number is changing, you will not be advised Lasik anyway. The best option cosmetically and optically for you would be contact lenses. Soft lenses are almost 100% safe (unless you never take them off, in which case they fuse onto your eye, heh) and they give you excellent vision. Plus you can switch eye color for those costume parties :p

Just my two bits ..

Bobby

DazedandConfused66
:lmao::laugh::laugh:

But I do sort of like them! I just don't think I can handle being responsible for something you can lose, break and forget so easily.

When you NEED glasses to see, you'd be amazed at how you never lose them and take good care of them. ;)

When you NEED glasses to see, you'd be amazed at how you never lose them and take good care of them. ;)

That is so funny! The last pair that I got I immediately ran over with my office chair! :eek: Talk about mangled! :rolleyes: The good news is they usually come with a year warranty or at least my insurance does.

As far as losing them, always check the top of your head first. :)

i only started to have trouble each time i was pregnant(for distance). my correction doubled each time.

now that i am in my mid forties :mad: i have had to move to one contact for far away and one for close up. it seems comfortable. it wouldn't - if i weren't wearing contacts that i can wear for a month as well as sleep in them! (i do clean them about once a week).

i have consider lasik - but i am a bit reluctant.