Burning more calories than you eat

I know that the way to lose weight is to expend more calories than you take in, but is there a limit on that as far as health is concerned?

I've heard that you aren't suppossed to eat less than 1200 calories. H and I are trying to stick to about a 1500 calorie diet. When he exercies, he can burn up 1500 calories in an hour on the eliptical machine, basically making his net intake of calories for the day 0. His BMR is over 1500 calories anyway. Is this still safe, or is it to much?

I think men and women have different caloric needs. I think men get to eat more simply because their bodies consist of a higher percentage of muscle compared to females. Muscle mass burns more calories than fat mass.

Is he very muscular to begin with, average or does he have excess fat?

Knowing that would determine what his caloric needs are more effectively.

Oh yeah, maybe you guys should consult with a doctor before starting any weight loss or exercise program. :D

Amaysgrace is right. Calorie intake required is different between men and women.

When I'm training and dieting I try to stick at around 1500 calories. Personally I'd ramp your hubby's up to between 1700-1800. :)

• Author

Is he very muscular to begin with, average or does he have excess fat?

Knowing that would determine what his caloric needs are more effectively.

He's a naturally thicker guy. He used to be very muscular when he was playing lots of sports, but a decent portion of it has turned to excess fat.

Oh yeah, maybe you guys should consult with a doctor before starting any weight loss or exercise program. :D

While true, realistically not going to happen.

Personally I'd ramp your hubby

You can burn lots of calories that way, too.

But back to the main point. I'd say that if you faint more than twice daily, it could be a problem. Best to wear a helmet.

• Author

But back to the main point. I'd say that if you faint more than twice daily, it could be a problem. Best to wear a helmet.

:lmao: :lmao: Good to know. Will watch out for fainting...:D

Now that is true.....!!

:lmao::laugh::lmao:

• 2 weeks later...

Every person has different Calorie needs. Basically the only way to determine this is the Resting Metabolic Rate that can be measured in an exercise physiology lab.

Men have a high metabolic rate due to the naturally increased level of muscle mass (therefore burning more Calories).

Still, all men and women are very different. Typically, 1200 is extremely low, and it would be typically recommended for a person who is very sedentary.

Plus, eating too few Calories can make it a lot harder to lose weight.

• Author

Well, we've stayed with it. H has been eating about 1500 calories a day, although we do have "cheat" days, when we go completely off the diet. Usually about once a week. Anyhow with eating 1500 calories and exercising for about 45min - 1hr per day, he's lost 13 lbs in 2 1/2 weeks. He's looking good.