Talk About Meth Use -What Do You Know?

All,

I want to hear from all those who care to share information about methamphetamine abuse in their particular part of the country.

Recently, I listened to a young lady who was addicted to meth, speak before a group and make a statement that I am curious about.

She said that, after using the drug (she used it about two years before getting caught and going to jail), that she could, now, sense through smell, the presence of methamphetamine -even the smallest traces, perhaps, from just one use- anywhere (outside in the open, or indoors).

I know that, indoors, or in highly concentrated areas, the presence of meth is indeed smelled, from the personal accounts of police officers, and other field task personnel, and that it's presence, detected through smell, is not only possible, but extremely dangerous, and that special equipment is used to prevent inhalation and skin absorption.

I accept that info, given by reliable people, -but I am questioning the speaker's claim to sensing the drug long after the removal of a manufacturing location.

The young female speaker gave an example of walking through some woods into a clearing, far out in the countryside, where she swears she could sense that the drug had been manufactured (cooked), even though she was hundreds of yards from the place actually believed to be the site, and the fact the manufacturing location had been abandoned for many months, or even a year or so, before.

What amazes and intrigues me, is the length of time the site was figured to be abandoned -plus the fact it was an open, outdoors location, obviously exposed to months of weather (rain, wind, etc.)

I found her claim incredible, but if this has an ounce of truth to it, it brings to mind the idea of the way we use dogs to sniff out certain substances.

I wonder about this and want to know if anyone else has heard about it happening. The question I have rambling around in my mind is, -does this drug change users brains so that they are able to 'zero in' on even the tiniest traces of its presence?

Also, since this lethal drug is becoming more and more prevalent, would you share how deeply your area is affected by it currently?

Any information is appreciated, -I already know what the media says, and what the internet says, and others...I want to hear individual input.

Thank you.

-Rio

Hi Rio...I hope I can somewhat answer your question at least from my previous experiences...I myself never touched it but my ex was totally addicted to it for a number of years and I know that his sense of smell towards it was heightened after he quit. He used for probably 5 years heavily. He could tell me if his friends were still using after meeting with them or ridin in their cars. I could tell if my ex was sneakin it before he quit just by the smell in the bathroom after his showers. I remember smelling it very vividly on him and it was a rancid odor let me tell you.

As far as area that I'm in and the saturation of it...I know that many drug users that have been on TV etc. say it's their drug of choice...but as far as hearing about it more recently I can't say that I have. Although I have heard kids say it's pretty heavy in the high schools and has somewhat takin over the extasy craze. I'm in Arizona just so you know..

Hope I helped a little..

• Author

S,

Thank you for your response, -it is helpful and sincerely appreciated.

re: " I know that many drug users that have been on TV etc. say it's their drug of choice..."

From my information, it only takes a couple of times smoking meth to develop a strong desire for the next time use.

The spreading of the drug has my attention, mainly, because of the danger and neglect it is having on very young children and infants, whose parents are users.

Still, the statement the young speaker made has me looking for similar experiences or knowledge about it. I think she was trying to convey the idea that, aside from the normal senses that usually pick up on signs of a fellow user, or detects recent use through smell, -she was trying to say that she had an almost, perhaps, 'extra-sensory perception' to even faint traces of meth........and she seemed to want to attribute that to her overwhelming addiction.

Again, thanks.

-Rio

P.S. Wish this board had more viewers to offer opinions, -but the flip side of that would be that they would probably be here, in the first place, searching for info regarding the sad state of their own addictions.

As a former state narcotics agent I can tell you that it certainly has an odor when being manufactured and also in the finished product. That's one of the reasons we used drug-sniffing dogs who could find the slightest trace of it. On our own we could sniff out major concentrations of it.

The central valley of California is a meth haven and its use continues to proliferate. One of the worst aspects of it, above and beyond the physical ravages of the drug, is the fact that when coming down, people lapse into amphetamine psychosis. It makes them horribly paranoid and very dangerous. Give me a good old heroin hype to deal with any day. Treakers are scary. Those who smoke crank can become instantly addicted the first time they try it, just like crack (cocain) users. It's nasty stuff.

As a former state narcotics agent I can tell you that it certainly has an odor when being manufactured and also in the finished product. That's one of the reasons we used drug-sniffing dogs who could find the slightest trace of it. On our own we could sniff out major concentrations of it.

The central valley of California is a meth haven and its use continues to proliferate. One of the worst aspects of it, above and beyond the physical ravages of the drug, is the fact that when coming down, people lapse into amphetamine psychosis. It makes them horribly paranoid and very dangerous. Give me a good old heroin hype to deal with any day. Tweakers are scary. Those who smoke crank can become instantly addicted the first time they try it, just like crack (cocain) users. It's nasty stuff.

• Author

Curmudgeon,

No problem with the double post, it just doubly emphasizes what you had to say...(smile)...and I am very appreciative of your response.

-Rio

The central valley of California is a meth haven and its use continues to proliferate. One of the worst aspects of it, above and beyond the physical ravages of the drug, is the fact that when coming down, people lapse into amphetamine psychosis. It makes them horribly paranoid and very dangerous. Give me a good old heroin hype to deal with any day. Treakers are scary. Those who smoke crank can become instantly addicted the first time they try it, just like crack (cocain) users. It's nasty stuff.

I must say I had interest in what you had to say, on my 14th b-day , a friend of mine showed up with crank and we both snorted it.It was an incredible high. Because of this I never again touched it knowing it could be dangerous for me . However still when talking about it or thinking about it more than 10+ years later my mouth still waters.Thankfully I already at 14 had some sort of idea what adiction was and its effects.

Most of the kids I grew up with became meth addicts and many are already dead , others just junkies or in prison.But I see kids 15 - 18 NOW it seems to have hit much harder even than it did my age grouping.

It's just gotten worse over the years. One way to spot tweakers is the lack of teeth, the constant movements of the mouth and tongue, sores on the body and then, of course, their behavior. It seems to hit women especially hard physically. When I had old mugshots and was looking for particular users, I often had to place them situationally to identify them. A woman who was quite lovely a year or two before would look 30 years older and ravaged.

It's nasty stuff! Snorting it is bad. Smoking ice is instantly addictive. Shooting it, especially when mixed with heroin, is a death sentence in time.

• Author

I hope more posters keep talking about this, because I can see that it has become the deadliest, most rapidly-spreading substance we have encountered, so far.

I do not believe we were ever prepared enough to counteract, nor treat all the devastating effects (expense in lives and $$) that meth causes.

I have just become awakened to how deeply entrenched this problem is, recently, in my area, -and all over the country.

-Rio

It's ugly stuff, Rio. One of the reasons I left law enforcement was that I was becoming angry about the drug traffic, taking it almost personally and I figured it was just a matter of time before I was involved in a bad shoot. It began to consume me and I had to get out before I became the danger on the street.

That was almost 20 years ago and I've never regretted my decision.

• Author

As illegal drugs become more lethal, Curmudgeon, and we struggle to keep up with the info about them, and the ways we need to approach them, it appears that the stress of the whole mess would certainly cause those in the trenches (you, anyone) to form specific and deep-seated hatred over the destruction they cause, and natural frustration of dealing with an overwhelming problem, having seemimgly -always- limited resources to stem the tide, no matter what dedicated, intelligent, and almost super-human effort is given to it.

You made the decision you knew was right for you.

Notable, praise-worthy, -and safer!

-Rio

Safer but with a very sad footnote.

Just a matter of blocks from my home is the state Peace Officer's Memorial. There's a name there, inscribed the year I changed careers.

The name is that of one of my partners on the multi-agency, narcotics task force I served on. He was young, married, had two young children and was one of the nicest people I've ever met and a damn good cop.

His wife begged him to get out of narcotics, too dangerous, and he did so, returning to patrol the day I left the task force. We'd kicked-in a lot of doors together over the years.

Ten days later he responded to a domestic violence call. He called for backup but before it arrived, heard screams from inside the house. He decided he couldn't wait and he went in. The man was twice his size and heavily into meth. He overpowered my friend then shot him with his own gun. He then turned it on himself.

My friend is dead because of meth! I can't even begin to think of how his wife felt. I visit the memorial every year. I always cry!

I used to do it alot with my stbxh...we had to stop cause we were becoming addicted...Its the comedowns that make you crazy...the most horrible fealing in the world...you just want to die...I havent even seen any crystal meth in 3 years...I stay away from it and from people that are doing it.

One of the ingredients is motor oil and I know another ingredient is effedrine but there are other chemicals too...when making it you can die just by the fumes...some people set up labs in their trailer and make it in their bathtub...the stuff is bad...makes you crazy...the woman could probably smell the fumes but the reason she thinks she has esp is because drugs screw with your mind.

really not an answer to your question but I saaw your profile on match.com and found it both adorable and intriguing not to mention the gorgeaous pics, my id on match is stevepetty and my email is [email protected], would love to explore...

steve

really not an answer to your question but I saaw your profile on match.com and found it both adorable and intriguing not to mention the gorgeaous pics, my id on match is stevepetty and my email is [email protected], would love to explore...

steve

???????????????????????????????????????????????????? What is this? And who are you adressing?

I know that ice is a huge problem all over the country and it seems to me especially where I am from, though I might be wrong. I grew up in east Texas and there are numberless labs out there. I once lived in a trailer and I think they cooked next door. This horrible acrid smell came from their trailer, and one of the room mates would stand outside and huge burn piles of fragrant firewood (pinyon, etc.) I assume to mask the odor. The Ex I lived with at the time said he recognized the smell.

I have never done crank or ice but I live in a college town and a lot of my friends have done/do it. I've hung out with them before while they smoked and it does have a nasty smell. People who smoke it can have a weird smell, it reminded me of how my ex smelled after huffing ether, but not quite, it's just a kind of an acidy, chemical smell.

I wouldn't recognize the smell if I happened to encounter it, but friends who used to be users have told me that they do.

I don't have any friends that have gone so far as to lose teeth or, like some people I've been told schitz out and pick the hell out of their faces until they have lesions, but I have seen some get the emaciated face look and lots of premature wrinkles.

Anyway, that's my experience. Nasty stuff. I hate it. It's a dirty, dirty drug, and it hurts so many people, from the cops that try to fight it to the people getting hooked to the innocent families that move into homes that are ex-meth labs. That stuff sticks around and is dangerous.

• Author

StevePetty,

re: "don't know.... really not an answer to your question but I saw your profile on match.com and found it both adorable and intriguing not to mention the gorgeous pics.."

(Smile)

Thank you, Steve, for your compliments.

But this thread is devoted to another topic and it should be adhered to.

Further, that profile is months old and I have simply chosen not to date anyone indefinately. I left the profile there as means to curiously check "what's out there" and, so far, OD cannot produce what I am looking for.

Back on topic, please.

-Rio

sophiecatya

Hi Rio - here in Los Angeles Area the Presence of Crystal Methanphatamine is extremely strong - i have never done it because i know id be a gonner, as a recovering alcoholic with 18 years clean and sober,my addiction facter is there, but my recovery from alcohol IS STOne GOD to me and no one on earth can take that from me! my boyfriend ( or should I say - sometime lay) is lost with that CRAP!!! He was a beer drinker when I met him and since we met hes been going from one pace to another, all accroos the world, LA, AUStrailia, Florida, nevada, looking for God knows what and living on the streets and haning with losers, - I gave him the boot after living with him for one month - I couldnt stand his beer keg in the living room anymore---- long story short he is cronically addicited to that METH CRAP - IT IS A DEVIL DRUG !!!Crystal is now his only GIRLFRIEND< he has had so many one nite stands, sex with men ( I assumed he was straight when we met) , lied to his family, lies , lies, lies, lost a ton of weight, had a phychotic breakdown from no sleep for 2 weeks, ended up in a mental ward in lockdown for a week in Vegas, lies about using, started using so much in vegas that he got paranoid and got a gun, ( i was not living with him --and never will) - had a siezure from soo much use, or he faked it in my house for attention , sick! been arrested for possession, in and out of so many rehabs, he left cause hes soo addicted, and uses for a few days staying up waling the street and alleys looking in trash cans and dumpsters, he had now spent over 4 years in alley and sunny days behind trash cans drinking and doing drugs, he only comes around when he wants, or need something, ie food -shower-water- sleep- sex. he no longer cares about anything letalone his family, doesn really have any friends other thatn other drug buds, The gal said she smeellled an old meth lab that wasnt there --- NO WAY! SHE REALLY WANTED ONE THERE BECAUSE SHE STARTED TO GO INTO A PSYCHOLOGICAL CRAVING FOR HER DRUG OF CHOICE - THIS IS A PART OF HER ( PRAY TO GOD) RECOVERY STORY AND THAT IS OK - HOPE SHE STILL HAS SOBERIEY - I AM TAKING COURSES IN DRUG & ALCOHOL COUNSELING - SO THIS IS WHAT LVE LEARNED IN CLASSEESS - METHAMPHETAMINE IS A POTENTLY FATAL & PHYCHOLOGICALLY ADDICTING DRUG THAT THE USER IS VIRTUALLY POWERLESS OVER UNLESS THEY HAVE AN EXTREME WANT OR NEED TO RECOVER WITH ALL THEY GOT - IF THEY USE RECOVERY TOOLS - WHICH ARE OUT THERE AND MORE POWERFUL THAN THE ADDICTION, BUT ONLY IF THE INDIVIDUAL WANTS WANT WANTS IT MORE THATN LIFE ITSELF, JUST THE WAY THEY USED - ANYONE CAN RECOVER, THIS I BELIEVE!!! METH DOES CHANGE THE WAY THE BRAIN PROCEESSES BY INTERUPPING THE NATURAL SERATONIN AND DOPAMINE - METH SUCKS THE ADRENILIN UP IN THE BODY AND THUS THE DRUG RUN --- BEGINS - DEPENDING ON THE AMOUNT OF SNORTING, SMORKING, SHOOTING THEY DO- THEY ATART RUNNIN FOR 2-30 DAYS UP NO SLEEP, NO FOOD, JUST WATER AND ALOT OF BS IN BETWEEN, THEN THEY TWEEK -- LOOK TWICHING , MAKE FACES, CANT CONTROL NERVES, THIS IS WHERE MUCH MUCHO DAMAGE IS DONE THE NERVES ARE GETTING DAMMAGED BADLY, THE BRAIN IS STURGLING HARD TO GET ITS EQUALIBRIUM BACK BUT CANT QUITE MAKE IT AFTER ALL THAT METH DRUG ABUSE, SO THE USER WILL TRY TO GET DRUNK, DOWNERS, SLEEPIN PILLS, POT , OTHER DOPE TO COME DOWN -- WHEN THEY FINALLY GET TO SLEEP - THEIR BODY WILL CRASH DOWN AND LITTERALLY SHUT DOWN - THIS IS FROM THE BRAIN, THEY GO LISTLESS AND FEEL NUMB, SENSLEESSS NEESSS SETS IN , MEMORY FADES, LOSS OF LIFE HERE GET SLOW, EVERYTHING FROM TALKING, SOUND, GOOD MUSIC, TV, CARS, IS IRRITATING, AND THEY CAN BECOME VERY VIOLENT AT THIS STAGE, CAUSE THEY HAVE NOT SLEPT IN DAYS AND ARE JUST REALIZING THIS FACT, THIS IS SLEEP OR DIE STAGE. SO THEY CRASH FOR A FEW DAYS, GET UP EAT LIKE A PIG , TO GET, MAYBE LOOKIN A MIRROR AND SEE A DISTORTED FORMER PERSON WHO USED TO EXIST IN REALITY, BUT IT IS SEVERELY ALTERED BY THE NEW BEST FRIEND CRYSTAL --GOD I HOPE THIS HELPS IN ANY WAY FOR ANYONE WHO READS THIS ! I FKING HATE THAT s***! STAY AWAY FROM IT, PLEASE, LIVE DONT DIE. IN SHORT, METH KILLS.METH HATES. METH IS UGLY UGLYUGLY --- TO ANYONE OUT THERE WHO IS AROUND IT, ONE WORD OF ADVICE ---RUN!!!!!!!!!

• 3 weeks later...
  • Author

sophiecatya,

Thank you for that very informative and emotional expression of your thoughts and position on the subject -and for sharing your experience with those using meth.

I also identify with your primary sentiments.

Here, in the hills and mountains of Tennessee, and our neighboring Virginia, the abuse and effects of meth is emerging more and more.

Simply, the rural terrain (layout) of the whole region supports the ability to hide outdoor labs, allowing the person mixing up a batch of this wicked stuff almost total privacy.

An occasional hunter, or hiker, though, might be at risk.

It used to be well-thought-out marijuana fields, tucked along the insides of valleys, ravines, on mountain tops, and mixed into tobacco and corn fields -now, it's meth labs, slightly within a clearing, next to any nearby woods that might be available, or on the back forty of an extremely rural, abandoned farm.

The sad (and shocking) thing about this -and, perhaps, all drug abuse, is that it is mostly the very poor who are devastated by it most.

At first, it sounds like to some- as a terrific way to "get rich quick", or, at least, pull them up and out of poverty level.

But it's the 'tasting' of the batches and the subsequent curiosity of trying the drug that always 'kidnaps' them and winds up taking over their lives.

They never quite become the more financially self-reliant individual they may have started out thinking they would become by making and selling the drug, because of its surprisingly immediate foothold, -both physically, and emotionally.

They all become users.

The absolutely excruciating thing (for me) about all this, *is the state of the children who, simply because they are the children of abusers*, are "along for the ride".

Another thing that concerns me regarding the children, is that some of these kids are school-age and, after being exposed to all these chemicals on a consistent basis, go to school with the substances permeating their skin, clothing, and other belongings, among unsuspecting others.

It's a case of "you never know".

Not only are they at a dangerous disadvantage with having addicted parents, and are exposed to these highly toxic, physically and mentally damaging chemicals, themselves, they are also sources of transmission to other innocent children.

It is appalling to think that, with all our fear, heartbreak, and self-mandatory rule changes in schools over shootings and other violence occurring in recent years, -that we, now, have another potentially deadly problem creeping in right through the front doors from the fallout of another overwhelming problem that is rapidly destroying, and claiming lives, -a problem originating -again- from *adults* who do not think realistically about consequences.

*To me, it is clearly child abuse.*

Still, the problem with meth, it seems to me, -has no real 'backstop', i.e. there are no programs strong enough, and with 'backbone' enough to combat it's growing 'takeover'.

So agencies (all of them) are really fighting this battle without the proper equipment, and reasonably capable and sufficient resources, they need.

Par for the course, for many of our most potentially-entrenching, damaging problems.

I realize it (meth addiction) kind of "got the jump" on us, -the problem was magnificent, and growing by leaps and bounds, even before it was recognized, but we are so far behind in combating it with the right tools, we are constantly losing ground.

I think, also, that the very criteria, -the 'tools' needed- are in question: what do we really use to fight this? What's effective?

We simply haven't had the time to even consider it, due to the very rapid growth of the abuse and manufacture of the drug.

We are only in a state of "making do".

Those are just a few thoughts from my 'soapbox' (smile)....and, again, I thank you all for your contributions on this subject.

Continue to post....this is a problem that *requires* much discussion, -and especially, the 'telling' of a few stories of contact experience.

It's, in my opinion, well worth a thread.

Take care.

-Rio

Curmudgeon

Along with the toxicity of the fumes they are also a huge fire and explosion hazard and the chemicals contaminate the ground and can seep into the ground water.

There's nothing good about the stuff. Nothing at all.