Is he still abusing?

ColdColorofConfusion

ColdColorofConfusion

About 2 months ago, I met a 30 year old professor. I am 22 years old, and we began seeing one another. As things progressed, I began noticing quirks to his behavior. He is very paranoid and insists on carrying a gun with him everywhere. He is also a chemist, so he has knowledge of making and manufacturing chemicals. He admitted that he used to have a drug problem, but says he only does drugs from time to time.

However, one of these drugs is crack, and from what I heard about it, you just can't do crack once or twice and not be addicted. Is this true? I knew he had an addiction to anamethamphetamines at one time, how can I tell if he is still abusing them?

Also, is it possible he is making his own drugs? He has a large container of cat litter at his place, but he has no cats. He also has ph level testing strips, ether, bunson burners, beakers, and glass pipes that he took from the lab at college at his place. He says he is using the bunson burner as an incense burner, but my one friend is convinced he is cooking meth or free basing.

He also has lots of bruises on his body. He claims he doesn't have memories of receiving them and says his diet is just to blame. They don't look like needle marks, rather they look like pinch marks all over his arms, legs, feet. He also claimed that he accidently shot himself with a gun over Thanksgiving, however the two wounds are far too close together, and my friend said it is probably abcesses from where he shot up.

His mood changes very quickly. One minute he will be very content and happy, the next he will be angry and threatening with me. Sexually, he also has problems with an erection. He also has memory problems. He will forget something he told me minutes after the fact, he claims it is from a wreck he was in last year. My friend said these are all signs that he is still abusing drugs and that I need to stay away from him. I guess it is just very hard for me to believe that a professor would engage in such behavior.

His paranoia does alarm me. He is convinced people have tapped his phones and he says the government is watching him. Does he show signs of abusing drugs? How can I tell? I don't want to sound naive, but I am 22 and have never engaged in any activity outside of smoking some pot with him (which my friend swears was laced, because my heart was pounding after I did it) Thank you for any help.

Ladywithafan

I'd say there's a good chance he's gone from crack to meth. I've smoked crack before...not an addict, but a past user...more experimental than anything but it's a bad drug to even experiment with. Persistent use of crack with unknown chemicals that are used as filler will make the user crave more (if there's more filler than cocaine), become easily agitated and paranoid as well as deplete the dopamines from the brain (the normal chemicals we all have that give us pleasant feelings).

But with all the apparatus you mention, it sounds like a cooking lab. Not good at all. Run Fast!

bluechocolate

I read posts like this & think:

They must know, they have to know. So either they're looking for a crumb of doubt to justify staying in the relationship or simply looking for validation on having made the decision to leave.

Which is it?

One more thing - you say the guy is paranoid & displays erratic behaviour AND he carries a gun with him all the time! Good grief woman! Aren't you concerned for your own safety?

I have seen and known crack users. Everything you describe raised a red flag with me. Definately the erection problem, bruises, lab stuff, paranoia and memory problems.

Run... as fast as you can.

Besides which... what sort of fool shoots themselves, even accidently?!! :confused:

Run now.

• 1 month later...

Hey girl,

you are a smart girl, you already know the answers but your heart is beating so loudly it is distoring what you brain is telling you. i have had personal experience with meth and cooking and well les just say meth addicts aren't exactly unique in their tell tail signs ;-) paranoia, not eating, erratic mood swings, memory loss, irrational thoughts and ideas, the most wonderful highs and the most devasting lows, oh yeah and fricking lying about everything, this includes also to themselves!

as for the bruises sounds like some of my old user friends trade mark, every shot a new vein = bruises in the weirdest spots!

the other the thing to be mindful of his disease, please please please trust your instinct and protect yourself when sleeping with his fellow, because hep c and aids are nasty arse diseases that can be prevented

take care, good luck chicky