LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > Mind, Body & Soul > Addiction & Recovery

How long did you smoke and how did you quit?

Addiction & Recovery Recognizing, conquering, and coping with addictions, substance abuse & dependence.

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16th December 2016, 8:40 PM   #16
Established Member

Journal Entries: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by anika99 View Post
I also switched to vaping and that is also something I would like to quit eventually, not so much for getting off nicotine (although that would be a nice benefit) but more because nobody knows what the long term health risks are of inhaling glycerin. The type used in vape is considered safe for consumption but that doesn't mean it's safe to be in the lungs so I still worry about my poor lungs. I know I shouldn't be putting anything besides air in them.

Vaping has given me some of the benefits of being a non smoker though. Better sense of taste and smell and no more nasty cigarette odor. Actually when I was a smoker I liked the smell of burning cigarettes and thought non smokers were just being drama queens and boo hooing over nothing but now that's it been over a year of vaping I hate the smell of cigarettes as much as non smokers do.
Similar story.. I've been talking to my doc about vaping and he's confident that glycerin is nowhere as cancerous as all that crap we inhale when we smoke. Sure, we don't have the ''feedback'' of vaping, and its potential health impact. But I am feeling generally better since 6 months now. I can count on my hands the cigarettes I've smoked since, usually during a few parties but I force myself to stick to my e-cigarette nevermind what others think about it.

Taste and smell have greatly improved, especially for a food/beer/wine aficionados like me.
anika99 likes this.
Shanex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2016, 4:24 PM   #17
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle ma Belle View Post
I started to smoke the first year of high school and basically didn't stop until I was about 24. Although I smoked for a while I was primarily a social smoker. Whenever I'd smoke alone it was only a cigarette or two versus an entire pack most times whenever I was out at with my friends doing whatever.

I met my husband when I was 19 and although I knew how much he hated smoking, I continued to sneak cigarettes up until the year we got engaged. That's when he told me that he wouldn't marry me if I continued to smoke :/

And so I stopped. Cold turkey. It wasn't easy but I wanted to quit anyway and he gave me the motivation to do it once and for all.

Today I work for a very reputable cancer organization which means smoking is forbidden (obviously) and written in my contract. If I'm found to be smoking, my company has grounds to fire me.

That's enough motivation to continue being smoke-free.

Getting cancer should be the main deterrent. My cousin was diagnosed with throat cancer. Smoked all his life. He is only 52. Too young to lose his voice, deal with chemo and face the facts that this may have spread to other parts of his body.
Old 30th December 2016, 4:34 AM   #18

I had occasional cigarettes in my early teens, then started smoking regularly at 18. I'd have lots of bouts of stopping that lasted for anything from 2 days to 3 months - but I always ended up weakening and going back to it. I finally stopped 8 years ago, and have zero desire to smoke now.

I think stopping permanently requires the kind of attitude shift that so often manifests as hypocritical and judgemental "reformed smokers". You've got to start to really despise the habit, I think. Which was difficult as I had friends who still smoked. I munched my way through a lot of nicotine lozenges (the chewing gum never worked for me - I don't really like gum, but the lozenges were a much better fit).

For me, it took more than willpower. It really did require that mental shift whereby I no longer associated cigarettes with anything positive. On the face of it, that should be easy...and I think especially now, when smoking has such a poor image.

A lot of work went in, almost a century ago, to encouraging women to start smoking. To associate it with freedom, rebelliousness etc. Those messages, put into circulation by Freud's nephew, soaked very deeply into society. I remember seeing this, a few years after I'd stopped smoking

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ljj6H3B3oAs

it entrenched my determination to never again start smoking.
Taramere is offline   Reply With Quote