One year sober - Should I go to parties where alcohol will be served?

Well folks, on Dec 3 it will be one year since I've been off alcohol, cigarettes and Xanax. I feel pretty good. I've been going to AA meetings regularly and those really help.

One problem I'm having is that I've been invited to a few Xmas parties and a class reunion where alcohol will be flowing freely, these parties are coming up fast. I don't know if I should go or not. I'm leaning to not going because I may be tempted to drink alcohol. The reunion is in a bar. I have not been near alcohol in the past year.

What should I do?

Only you know if you're strong enough to have cut it completely out.

If not, don't risk it.

Ask other AA people what they think.

Thank God you got off of bars. I've seen sooo many lives ruined beyond recognition from those.

Good job, man.

• Like 1

alpha, firstly congrats on this first year. Each day carries temptations so let this be a sign. Stay away from it in social gatherings amongst peers. If you must make an appearence bring along a support member. 24 years of sobriety have taught me I am an arm reach away from the next drink or drug. I'd hate to see you convince yourself that one sip will quill the urge... We recovery folks never can just have one... so have two or more... years of recovery :) before heading down the challenging path of parties in recovery. Wishing you many more years in living life remembering what got ya here:)

• Like 1

Congratulations & good for you!

Pose this Q to your AA sponsor, not a bunch of strangers. Perhaps you & your sponsor can go together so you can say hi to old friends but not get in trouble. Only you know how strong you are. Some time will have to be your 1st time in such a situation but it doesn't have to be this party if you are not ready.

I may be tempted to drink alcohol.

There is your answer...

If you haven't been sober long enough for you to feel good about staying sober then don't go...

Congrats ...^5

• Like 2

That's great Alpha!

Be proud of your accomplishment!

I would advise you to skip the parties.

You've come to far to risk it.

"I may be tempted to drink"

You answered your question. No farther discussion is needed.

Listen to yourself!

Enjoy your holiday and again, great job!

I'm with art critic. If you feel you may be tempted then definitely do not go. You still have a little way to go, but recognising you may be tempted is as good a stepping stone as the fact you have abstained for a year.

Wow, a year sober is amazing. I wouldn't risk it. I imagine temptation is still there if you had a substance abuse problem.

You broke not one, but three addictions? Alcohol, cigarettes and Xanax?

You must be super-human or something because that takes tremendous will-power.

Congratulations!

If it were me I would pass on the parties....too tempting to have just one drink, or step outside for a quick smoke.

I know about addictions and one year really isn't long enough IMO.

travelbug1996

plenty of recovering parties. find one of those for the new year. Slippery slope if you ask me for 1 year sober.

I heard it takes 5 years sober for your head to pop outta your ass and another 5 years to realize that's where its been. lol

I've been clean 22 years 12/7/93

Good luck

• Like 1
Rejected Rosebud

Congratulations! :bunny::bunny: I think you should talk with your sponsor about this and maybe bring it up in a meeting. My answer to you is "no" because as others have said if you have to ask ...