Is it worrying?

I am concerned about my roommate. First, I believe she has a problem with alcohol (drinks daily and alone). But recently, I also noticed she sleeps way too much (like 9.30 PM - 11.30 AM), and still complains of being tired. I know she also takes prescription antidepressants.

So my concern is that tiredness could be a reaction of her medicines with the alcohol? Is it acceptable to raise this concern to her, or it will be too intrusive of me (we're not close friends)?

I see nothing wrong with voicing your concern or giving your perspective when she is the one initiating the conversation. I would do it from an angle that's non-judgmental, berating, or mothering. Suggest she do some research to see if alcohol is a contraindication with the meds. That puts the ball in her court to take responsibility for her actions. Though a true addict isn't going to voluntarily change unless they want to and I suspect she already knows she shouldn't be drinking while taking antidepressant...it's counterproductive!

Edited by Methodical
  • Author

Good point about suggesting her doing research of alcohol-meds interactions; this will be less intrusive than preaching myself.

For sure she is already aware that the things are not ok and we (the roommates) notice it (e.g. she hides her bottles in strange locations).

I see nothing wrong with voicing your concern or giving your perspective when she is the one initiating the conversation. I would do it from an angle that's non-judgmental, berating, or mothering. Suggest she do some research to see if alcohol is a contraindication with the meds. That puts the ball in her court to take responsibility for her actions. Though a true addict isn't going to voluntarily change unless they want to and I suspect she already knows she shouldn't be drinking while taking antidepressant...it's counterproductive!
I am concerned about my roommate. First, I believe she has a problem with alcohol (drinks daily and alone). But recently, I also noticed she sleeps way too much (like 9.30 PM - 11.30 AM), and still complains of being tired. I know she also takes prescription antidepressants.

So my concern is that tiredness could be a reaction of her medicines with the alcohol? Is it acceptable to raise this concern to her, or it will be too intrusive of me (we're not close friends)?

I hate this situation! Yes, it is probably not a good idea to mix antidepressants with alcohol. That being said, antidepressants alone can make you sleep a lot. So can Clinical Depression/Bipolar, all that stuff. Mixing alcohol with this only makes it worse.

• 1 month later...
  • Author

We had a casual talk regarding the antidepressants and alcohol, the good news is that she is aware of the side effects. Her doctor is aware (to a certain extent) too, so she's getting the right medical advice, it is on her to follow it.

I hate this situation! Yes, it is probably not a good idea to mix antidepressants with alcohol. That being said, antidepressants alone can make you sleep a lot. So can Clinical Depression/Bipolar, all that stuff. Mixing alcohol with this only makes it worse.

its a never ending hangover, been there done that, your room mate needs to change but she needs to do it willingly and on her own.