How do you someone choose to quit?

I see a lot of other posts asking this same old question. & the answer is they have to want to quit. But how can you help a person realize they want to quit? & still convince them it was their own idea?

whichwayisup

They have to want to quit. they have to suffer consequences, to lose people, to lose a lot before they wake up and get help. If the drugs are enjoyable and nothing bad has happened to them, they aren't going to give up it.

• Like 3
melodicintention

They won't want to quit until they hit rock bottom. For example I quit drinking alcohol cold turkey after it was giving me lots of headaches and making me black out after I started taking some medication. I had enough, so I quit. That's how it goes. You gotta hit rock bottom and get so sick and disgusted that you naturally want to quit.

You learn about co-dependency & you learn to stop the enabling behavior. No more excuses for them. You leave them lay in their own vomit. You don't throw out all the bottles. If somebody else calls the cops, you let them be taken away in handcuffs. When they wake up in jail more often then not, perhaps then they will want to quit.

• Like 2

In my case I haven't been dependant on any single substance (alcohol maybe, and only as a social tool). Done lots of coke, speed and MDMA. Quitted it completely since they ultimately distorted my mood too much to even bear the depressing aftermaths. In fact, I got some of their "chemical hangovers" even months later, in terms of severe drastic change of mood. Also I used to have whole-night-amnesia when drunk, even if I managed to talk normally and hold intelligent convos that I didn't remember until I was told about them later. Really ****ty feel. Nowadays I just drink a whiskey or two per weekend and that's all for me. Some coffee here and there, too.

By the way, just take a close look at how do your friends act while high on some stimulant when you're completely sober. It would most likely ruin the social effects the substance meant to you.

Edited by Van Norden

Usually something serious and or life changing has to happen ro him. Because no matter what u do, u can leave, u can stay, u can do whatever,,,he will continue depending on the alcohol. My lwife left me several times and i never cared. I was drinking and i was happy and she knew it. She always csme back and if she didnt alcohol kept me happy. The last time she left for good was when i had been sober a few months. Too late.

In my case, 7 yr daily heavy drinker,and then 3 years after just weekends, i have 1year sober.

I would drink everywhwre everyday, at work, walk into stores with a gas station plastic cup so it looked like soda yet was full of beer, alcohol was my life, every day i didnt drink was a waste, thats exactly how i felt.

I originally eased up my drinking due to i was hardly eating, feeling naseous, anxiety if i didnt drink. That made me slow down. My plan was to slow down a few weeks or months to tegain my health but now that im sober nomway im drinking again, at leaast not any time soon.

But ultimately what made the cravings go away was when went to ER on the brink of alcohol poisioning and my first panic attack. After that i was,left with heavy anxiety for months. When i tridd drinking after that my hangovers had me down for at least 2 days, worst ever with anxiety.

Thats when i realized how much i had messed up, wife leaving, then all the feelings of shame, regret, remorse, realization, and other alcohol suppressed feelings and all of a sudden they are alive and dancing. My body now rejects alcohol, it truly is a poison. Now my body recognizes it and took it all out and not wanting it back.

alcohol really is a disease. Its in ur blood and if u stop giving it to urself ur body is now functioning with alcohol that it starts asking for it because it thinks its needed. Basically ur body requires alcohol just as it asks for food to function once it,has flowed enough thru blood stream

Edited by LifeNomad