Coffee addiction...trying to quit but my body won't let me function!

I have been drinking 1 cup of coffee a day, some days up to 3 cups, since 5 years. Before that I really didn't like the taste.

Since I have ADD and eczema, I want to quit my morning cafeine routine and see where it gets me.

But oh my god...is this the hardest thing ever? I'm not joking when I tell you I can't function normally and I haven't been able to keep to my quitting.

Here's what happens:

Day 1: I get head aches that don't leave with pain killers..I can't hold on any longer so I drink an energy drink around 4 in the afternoon

Day 2: My muscles are aching as if I've been working out too hard for days

Starting from day 2, I feel soooo tired as if I have kissing disease or some deficiency..

This has been going on for quite some time now, all these symptoms show themselves and then mid-day I cant hold it any longer and I drink an energy drink.

I dont drink cofee any more since I started to dislike the taste, but those energy drinks are loaded with bad stuff AND cafeine as well..

Anyone have experience with this?

Need help!

• Like 1

Yep, you've got an addiction.

Start tapering off - don't go cold-turkey. Drink a little less every day and then get to a point where you are drinking it every-other-day, etc. It will hurt less.

The only other time I was able to quit coffee was when I caught the flu; I didn't drink it for a week and when I was over the flu (since I had body aches and headaches anyway), I was over the coffee.

• Like 2

Do you work out one of the best ways to detox your body is steam room or suana this is a good way to combat those issues you are having its not going to come overnight but I think it will help you

Also you must change your diet I could be wrong but sounds like a whole lot of junk it being put in your body,eat green veg .spinach, kale broccoli ect this will help detox liver and give you a boost of energy thought the day drink smoothies just eat clean and move around

The Like Fairy

I finally kicked coffee a few months ago after numerous false starts and failed attempts over the years.

I really had to quit drinking coffee - caffeine makes your body have an insulin spike - and I was getting tired of dealing with the blood sugar issues. (check out that link, it's a great article about quitting coffee and why you should :) )

I had to drink a little less each day, in small increments, until I weaned myself off - an ounce at a time!

Just pour a little bit less in your cup each day. Drink plenty of water. Take the painkillers for the headaches.

I also told myself I am never going back to drinking coffee. EVER.

It's just too addictive for me - and I drank about the same amount as you do (up to 3 cups a day at my highest drinking levels).

But I admit, quitting smoking years ago was even harder. They are both addictions, but the body craves nicotine a bit more I suspect.

Keep trying, don't give up. And good luck! :)

• Like 1
  • Author

I'm gonna start at it again tomorrow...and I'm going to drink 3 quarters of an energy drink, the next day, I'll have half, then a quarter...and if all goes well, I won't be having any on the 4th day. I will keep you all posted, this was a great idea of yours!

oh @oneman, I tried decaf, such horrible coffee to me, I bought the best organic one and still it tasted like crap so not for me, energy drinks work better for me for th moment. And about the detoxing, I eat very healthy and a lot of veggies and fruits. I'm going to try and go Paleo soon, but it's not easy.

The Like Fairy
I'm gonna start at it again tomorrow...and I'm going to drink 3 quarters of an energy drink, the next day, I'll have half, then a quarter...and if all goes well, I won't be having any on the 4th day.

You might even try a bit slower than that to avoid withdrawals, maybe 3 quarters for 2 days, half for two days, and a quarter for two day.

Or even better, pour the energy drink into another cup (or a measuring cup) to measure even more precisely and decrease in small increments such as:

3/4 cup first day

somewhere between 3/4 cup and 1/2 cup second day (2/3 cup?)

1/2 cup third day

somewhere between 1/2 cup and 1/4 cup (1/3 cup ?) fourth day

1/4 cup fifth day

I know that's alot of bother but the point is to get you regemented in daily small decreases of the energy drink to get you off it completely.

I grabbed my measuring cup and on the other side it does have measurements for ounces so perhaps that would work as well. Good luck!! :)

• Like 2

Sorry to hear about the ADD and eczema because a little bit of coffee a day is actually very good for you, coffein helps to stave off dementia, for one.

• Like 3
Sorry to hear about the ADD and eczema because a little bit of coffee a day is actually very good for you, coffein helps to stave off dementia, for one.

Yeah, I'm sorry you're having trouble kicking the habit, but once in a blue moon, when I've skipped coffee for a whole day, I got bad headaches.

I'm not stopping it, coffee calms me and helps me concentrate. I don't know if I got it from my grandma - who on top of making strong coffee, would put instant coffee in it to make it stronger.

I make coffee so strong that at work I'm not allowed near the coffee maker (I had to get me a Keurig to keep at my desk) and, when visitors come over, I either ask them to make their own coffee or ask them how much coffee per cup they like/need.

Now, I have moments I get tired of the coffee, but I just switch to a different level or brand when I start getting tired of it - or I'll reduce my intake from two or more cups a day and substitute the reduction with tea.

I've come a long way, when I was overseas I LOVED the coffee and the coffee maker I had. I'd brew a pot early in the morning on my days off and just sip it all day.

I don't like energy drinks...I have no idea what the chemicals in those things are and heard too many bad stories about them. I tried one once and still don't get why people drink that.

• 1 month later...

Yep. I love my java. :bunny: Almost as much as I love Trader Joe's Apple Juice.

And yes, when you stop drinking it, you will have a headache like no one's business. I switched to decaff for several months but before I knew it, was back on the good stuff.

I too tried those little energy things a few times in my lifetime, and I was climbing the walls. I'd pass on the energy drinks. My brother drinks those Monster Drinks and his sleep pattern is so disruptive and quite horrible.

Ease back or quit altogether. If coffee is interfering with your sleep patterns, you're in trouble. Coffee has disease-fighting antioxidants but sufficient sleep/rest is essential.

Easing off it is one way. The other way is to go for it and prepare to be sick for 2-3 days. A good friend of mine did this and he had been drinking about 3-5 cups/day for years. He took a Friday off work, only had one or two cups of coffee on Thursday, and then spent the weekend holed up in his apartment watching movies, eating soup, taking painkillers, and feeling like crap. By Monday he still didn't feel well, but he was well enough to function and went back to work.

I don't know which method is right for you, but I've seen both work. Once you're out of the habit you need to either never go back, or watch your habit closely and don't have more than three or four cups/week so you don't get the physical addiction back.

Green tea is the methadone to my coffee addiction

Green tea helps with the transition as it contains caffeine (albeit in lower quantities depending on how strong you take it) but also has a few other chemicals absent in coffee that give a bit of a boost without getting you wired.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...