Sugar addiction tips needed on stopping eating sugar

I have a really bad sugar addiction. I am also bipolar and it is very common for a person with bipolar to be hooked on sugar. I can not fit into any of my jeans and I need to loose weight badly before cold weather. I don't want to buy new jeans just because I gained weight because of a sugar addiction. I would appreciate any tips on how to break my sugar addiction. It is also common to be really difficult for people with bipolar to have a hard time breaking the addiction.

I have a really bad sugar addiction. I am also bipolar and it is very common for a person with bipolar to be hooked on sugar. I can not fit into any of my jeans and I need to loose weight badly before cold weather. I don't want to buy new jeans just because I gained weight because of a sugar addiction. I would appreciate any tips on how to break my sugar addiction. It is also common to be really difficult for people with bipolar to have a hard time breaking the addiction.

I had a sugar addiction. I was inadvertently using it to balance my blood sugar... and killing myself in the process. So the first thing that I would suggest is having your blood sugar checked. Hypoglycemia and metabolic syndrome can both produce cravings for sugar that form a feedback loop. The more you crave, the more you eat, the more you crave... I have a very hostile variant of metabolic syndrome and have all of my life.

I gave up all carbohydrates, less fresh vegetables and some dairy. I went on the Atkins diet and haven't had bread, pasta, very little fruit, breakfast cereals, rice, potatoes and all potato products ,corn, wheat products, legumes, or sugar for years. And I don't miss it. Now, having a bit of an orange or an apple is like having a candy bar. So you can definitely change your tastes. I used to eat huge quantities of sugar every day, all day. But going Atkins takes as huge commitment. And you have to do your homework and follow the critical guidelines to the letter. You can seriously injure yourself if you cheat. The benefit is that you fundamentally change your metabolism in big ways.

Splenda makes a pretty good substitute for sugar. So you might just start transitioning over to sugar substitutes. I use it in place of sugar now [a little] in addition to eating Dryers low-sugar ice cream [very good stuff! The only sugar is the natural milk sugar. Then splenda is added]

Edited by Robert Z
  • Like 2

Someone here recommended this book to me years ago... love it...

"Potatoes Not Prozac: Simple Solutions for Sugar Sensitivity" google it...

• Like 1

So, I did this cleanse and sugar was restricted.

Though I've never liked or eaten much of it, once I did completely away with it, the craving came out of nowhere.

Full force!

What worked was chromium picolinate.

I don't remember the dosage, and of course it would vary, but consider it.

I had good results.

• 5 weeks later...

I have a problem with caffeine so it may be different for someone else. What I do when I want to eat candy is eat tic tacs. I can eat them like candy and not gain weight.

melodicintention

While I will admit I was a big soda drinker when I was an untreated bipolar, I didn't personally have any problem cutting sugar out of my life. I can't even drink more than 1 soda every two months without it gagging me it's too sweet now because I just hardly drink them anymore.

My tip: Out of sight, out of mind. Stay away from it. Only you put sugary drinks in your hand, no one is forcing you to, so stop picking them up. Drink more water, green tea with honey or agave (remember all sugars are bad for you, but these taste better t me), natural fruit juices and the like. It may sound oversimplified, but thats the beauty, it truly is that simple.

It all comes down to habits and the strength of your will. Once you get used to not eating sugary stuff it becomes gross to you. The sweetest I can do is less than a tsp of agave in my hot green tea. I also squeeze a full lemon and orange and sometimes mixing other fruits into some water and that's enough natural sugar for me that processed sugar is nasty syrupy icky to me now.

Stevia is what I switched to. It took a while to adjust to the taste, but I don't notice a difference now.

And pickles for sugar cravings ... I know that sounds weird, but someone suggested it to me years ago and it actually works for me. It curbs the sugar craving.