In order to progress beyond my limitations

Requiem4Dreams

Requiem4Dreams

So being that this is an addiction thread/subject I thought I would underline the ones that I currently suffer from, and perhaps we can bring to light those that others suffer from in order to gather the information needed to break free these shackles.

For the past 5 years I've been addicted to pain killers. Not so much because of the effects but rather due to 2 back surgeries from a car accident. I found that as time progressed I needed them more. I just recently got the epidural for the spine, and have been feeling rather wonderfully. I've been clean for about 6 days now from painkillers, and I feel my energy levels continuing to rise.

I would like to quit smoking, as I know this too is a crutch I use to deal with the stressors of life, and have made leaps in cutting back dramatically. I guess the final sense of addiction would be the mental aspect, the co-dependant need to have someone in my life, thinking that I will die alone without someone in which I can lean on for the emotional support I so crave.

I'm working on this, and while it is in fact a work in progress I still have quite a distance to go. I also tend to drink a lot of caffeine, as well as smoke cigarettes. These two I consider vises, as well as addictions.

Has anyone had an success is removing these from their life, and if so how did you finally manage to do so, and excel beyond your current ability to cope?

I once had a rather nasty cocaine addiction, at my worst I spent about $1500 a month on it. I quit it by waking up and realizing I was making my life worse rather than better and I was tired of the whole lifestyle and being slave to a drug! I just stopped it with out the help of rehab!! Now this won't work for every one of course BUT if you have the DESIRE to quit, you can!

I had been smoke free for about 10 years than started that up again. It's been 1.5 years since ive again quit. I figured if I could quit cocaine I could quit anything. Just used the same mind frame as with the cocaine. Mind over matter as they say!!!

• Like 1

Addictions are a tough thing, and it's going to be subjective, to each person, their personality, where they are in their life, stressors, if have support, etc. Some people can do as Stormy has done - just realize mentally, have that mental strength to just wake up one day and have an epiphany...and make that choice to quit. And take ACTION. And some people can't do that, they need rehab, intense intervention, support, etc. because they need the strength of others, rather than just themselves, because at that time, they just don't have that, those tools. And yes, depending on your level of codependency, also a factor. Also depends on what is going on in your life, who is in your life. If you have a lot to lose, not just yourself, quitting becomes more of an option.

As the quote goes, "Nothing will change, you won't change, until the cost of not changing becomes too high".

My stepdad was a smoker for 50 years. It took him having a heart attack to stop. He had that heart attack, and quit cold turkey. Used regular gum, tons of exercise, made that commitment, and he did it. Never smoked again. By quitting, he probably extended his life by a few years, but unfortunately the years of smoking did do damage, and he died of another heart attack about 8 years after he quit.

I think there are many different levels of addictive personalities...

But no matter what, it is mind over matter, and A LOT of work and commitment, to change your behaviors and lifestyle, but it can be done! Change is SO HARD. But if you love yourself enough, love those in your life, get that support...You can do it! Just find healthy things, behaviors to replace the negative ones, with. Exercise, yoga is great for healing, therapy, journaling, just keeping busy. And a positive mind set. And most importantly, choosing to be around POSITIVE PEOPLE who are not addicts. It is amazing how the people we hang around with, can affect us, our moods, our attitudes, our actions. I find if I'm around people who have a lot of drama, negativity, it brings me there as well. Standing up for yourself, and cutting drama, other codependent people out of your life. Hard to do, but it's your life you are talking about. And sorry, but YOU are the most important person in your life. You need to take care of YOU, before taking care of others, caring what others think... Pretty important. Sometimes you have to leave people behind, to get yourself well and in a better place.

Maybe start with making a list of the Pros and Cons of any addiction. See it in black and white, pin it up on your mirror, to look at every day. Pin up positive, uplifting, support quotes for yourself to see every day! Make a "gratitude" list every morning.

Retrain your brain to think POSITIVELY. We all have dysfunction, baggage, crap to deal with. We all have a past.

The difference is if we allow that past to define us, or our addictions, define us. It doesn't have to be that way. We can choose to be whatever we want.

And it's in our POWER. The power of the mind!

Takes time, yes. And maybe some ups and downs, fall off the wagon. But whatever, that's OK!; fall down, get back up and try again. Try harder, do better. Don't beat yourself up. Believe in yourself that you can do it!

Yes, most addicts have self esteem issues, codependency issues... You have to get to the core of those issues first, understand, accept them, and change your patterns. Take ACTION! That is where therapy can help... For those who need it...

OK, just my two cents...

Missy! Well said. Thank you for hitting the topic in an objective way.

To the OP : One important key is to do gradual changes. The first being , getting the drug out of your system (Detoxing) is the term I beleive. After that most things will be a change in habits and behavior.

When you place thngs in a 24 hour time frame it seems more attainable. So many folks that I sponsored would want to change everything about themselves and their environment, yet suddenly get overwhelmed at such a task. Then fall back in old habits. By doing small adjustments in the beginning it leads to more productive results. I stopped caffeine by drinking herbal teas .

Its not co-dependency to want to have support thru life.....Even during your last days. Its called being Inter-dependent with others and garnering and recipricating supportive ways. Its a balancing act.