Was there a point when you realized you had an alcohol problem?

I'm not an alcoholic, or at least I don't think I am. I'm just trying to make sense of it, and would appreciate some insight from those who are facing their own addictions.

My father is an alcoholic and is currently sober (although he continues to have relapses). I realize that addiction is a disease and a lifelong battle. I also have learned that children of parents who are alcoholics are 50% more likely to develop dependency themselves. Growing up I always told myself that the first sign of being an alcoholic is when a person starts to drink alone.

I'm 21 now and find that I do enjoy drinking by myself, which is making me question things and worry that I too will grow up to become an alcoholic.

So my questions are- 1.) was there a point when you realized you had a drinking problem? 2.) Is there by any chance a point when you figured you might become an alcoholic in the future due to certain drinking habits? 3.) Is it possible that the drinking may have been used to cover up bad feelings that you weren't even aware of feeling?

AFAIK the medical, non-BS definition of an alcoholic is a person that once starts drinking can't stop in a single episode. I know because I'm one of them. Drinking with company or alone makes no difference. Perhaps you are depressed and are using booze to mitigate it; don't, it's a mistake. Grt help.

• Author

I know the medical definition of alcoholism, and that is not my situation. I think it is easier to look at something objectively from an outsider perspective and label it. I'm more interested in learning how others first realized on their own that they have a problem with alcohol so that if it happens to me in the future I can recognize it early.... I understand that might sound naive.

My H's mother was an alcoholic. His twin sister has followed suit.

My H doesn't drink; if there's a proclivity towards alcoholism in his genes, he avoids it by not drinking.

That's the best way.

if there is a tendency in your family for drink to be a problem, then don't drink.

Simple.