lets quit smoking

I have decided tonight that I am done quitting smoking.

At the end of each day I will report my sucess or failure.

If I smoke please guilt trip me, that is what works. It might be best to reference I need to save for a trip to thailand. This sort of thing works for me.

Feel free to do the same, but specify what you need for encouragment.

Either way, please support me. And if I am sucessful at this expect a quit drinking thread after.

Thank you for any support. I'd also like stories if your quitting experience if you have one, even if you still smoke.

• Like 6

My dad was a smoker and had emphasyma and lots of associated problems. He was on oxygen during the last part of his life. I miss him every day and wish he could have seen his grandsons growing up.

My wife's aunt died of lung cancer. She went pretty quick but still, it was horrible.

There are still people in the family who, after having witnessed all of this, still smoke. I wish they would quit and they have tried to many times. It's a powerful addiction.

I commend you for beginning your journey to quit. Browse the American Lung Association's site and read some of the remembrance stories if they still have them posted. They might serve as motivation and inspiration. Just think how much better you'll feel about yourself and what a good thing it is for your body if you stick to not smoking. Put yourself first.

YOU WON'T REGRET IT! I smoked for 12 years. it wasn't uncommon for me to smoke a pack a day either. E-cigs were the only way I could quit.

You will only quit when you are absolutely tired of it and 100% ready to.

& I was. it also helped dating a non smoker.

I really don't ever have a problem being around smokers at all because I have my e-cig which has a small percentage of nicotine in it.

Just a day of not smoking and your body already starts healing itself. Certain damage is done but it really is amazing how fast the body bounces back. & everything smells & tastes so much better too!!!

Interesting.... I'm a lifelong non-smoker who grew up in the blue haze of an unfiltered two smoker Lucky Strike household. Now, according to them, mom smoked for about 30 years and quit at 43. Dad smoked for about 55 and died smoking at 69. Mom lived until 89 and was healthy physically until well into her 80's. Me, I'm a healthy 54yo, even dealing with all that second hand smoke as a child. Lucky I guess.

With all the technology and support available today, if you want to quit, I think you can, and decisively. I remember one day my mom smoked and the next day she didn't and never did again, even living with a two-pack a day smoker for the rest of his life. IMO, it came down to willpower. You can do it. Good luck.

• Like 1
  • Author

Welp, it's nearing the end of the day.

Guilty to say I had one cig. However by bf is on a business trip until tomorrow afternoon and Ive been left to my own devices.

I wanted to go to the mall to waste some time, but it's insane windy today. After my first earthquake experience I am a little paranoid and tornado thoughts unreasonably came into my head.

That being said, the mall has a billion smoking spots so that might have been a bad idea.

Oh well, wish me luck for tomorrow.

• Author
YOU WON'T REGRET IT! I smoked for 12 years. it wasn't uncommon for me to smoke a pack a day either. E-cigs were the only way I could quit.

You will only quit when you are absolutely tired of it and 100% ready to.

& I was. it also helped dating a non smoker.

I really don't ever have a problem being around smokers at all because I have my e-cig which has a small percentage of nicotine in it.

Just a day of not smoking and your body already starts healing itself. Certain damage is done but it really is amazing how fast the body bounces back. & everything smells & tastes so much better too!!!

To my knowledge they don't yet sell ecigs in Japan, at least in my region. The smoking culture is huge here, not as bad as china, but still.

I am planning on making an online order.

My boyfriend is a smoker and it's been kind of hard on us, we are both trying to quit. He has to go on business drinking nights and entertain customers. Many of those guys light up so he has added temptation aside from a)being dunk and b)job stress. For me being alone I find my fingers betraying me.

I think it might need to take a crapload of willpower to quit. I am 4 years in, so might be easier.

• Author

Well, another day of failing... but I am thinking I am doing ok at failing.

Had 3 today, am trying not to smoke until my bf gets home (7pm ish). Might do one more tonight.

I am looking into sites that will b3 cheap to buy e cigs from.

I tried the gum and patch a few months ago, no effect.

Any stories would really help. I feel like I am trying to do something that should be easy, but seems so stupidly hard. I don't feel strong or weak, I just feel stupid.

Changing brain chemistry from being used to a particular drug is nowhere near easy, but varies due to the unique characteristics of each person's brain, as well as their imprinted psychology. Some people are more prone to drug dependency than others. It's not an indictment, rather a difference. Identify it, accept it, learn from it and move on.

Also, there are degrees of success. 'Cold turkey' is admirable but not everyone is able to do that. Had my father gone from two packs a day to three a day, I would have seen that as a huge success and probably the house wouldn't have been blue inside with the sun's rays turning yellow in the smoke. Not to mention a whole world of difference in the byproduct intake by himself and his family.

You can choose how to perceive the process. It's not absolute and immutable. Good luck.

Yeah. My Grandmother smoked like a chimney. It's not a cool habit. The smoke used to make my eyes water.

Excessive smoking caused her arteries to get blocked. She had to get taxis to a destination within only 5 minutes walking distance as she could not walk very far at all. After that, she was more or less confined to the house and all the smoke made her walls go all yellowish. When she finished one cigarette, she'd immediately light up another one.

• Author

I think I am prone to addiction no matter the substance.

I need to find a hobby or something that I can maintain, my hands and mouth and body always seem bored. Searching for something to keep everything busy.

I am bringing it down to three or four for the next 3-4 weeks, the two, then one, then... Hope?

Here's hoping I find a decent shipper.

Anyone in a country that doesn't have ecigs who has had them shipped in before?

• 2 weeks later...
Smthn_Like_Olivia

I was a smoker for about 15 years off and on. In my office, there were about 8 of us that smoked regularly and we used every excuse to go out and have a smoke. Then one day, someone introduced the boss to ecigs and the effect just trickled down. I don't think any of us smoke real cigs anymore. We all smoke the Greensmoke brand. I've tried about 5 or 6 different brands, and none have come close to being as good as the Greensmoke as far as the pull and vapor.

I started off just smoking the Greensmokes at work and then I would have a couple real ones when I got home at night. But after 9 hours without a real one, I started to hate the taste and smell when I came home and smoked the real ones. One day when the pack emptied, I just threw it away. That was almost a year ago, and I've never craved a real cigarette again. I took a couple hits off of a friends once and it almost made me gag. If you can get the ecigs shipped to you, go for it. Best decision I ever made. I love that my hair and clothes don't smell like smoke anymore and I'm not putting all those toxins in my system, but that I didn't have to completely give up my habit. And goodness knows, nothing goes better with a cup of coffee in the morning!:)

• 2 weeks later...

Congratulations on even trying to quit. I smoked for many years then after being so sick of it and trying to quit but relapsing, nicorette, I came up with my own plan. A large part is having such a deep down burning desire to quit, get the monkey off your back, that quitting seems relatively easy compared to continuing on with a life of dependency. I picked a date two weeks away (4th of July 1999 for me) then told myself each day that I was X days away from quitting forever. this reinforced in my mind that there was no turning back and that I had to quit. When the day came to quit, I was mentally prepared and just exercised a lot, drank lots of water to flush out any nicotine. A key is that you will constantly have thoughts of smoking every few minutes so what you need to do is switch your thought to something else immediately. After 3 days the nicotine is out of your system and after 21 days the psychological need drastically declines. You will be so much better off financially, physically, emotionally, etc. Hang in there. Now I work out at the gym and totally healthy. I did it and you can do it too.

Hey congrats to you for making a great healthy choice. Ex smoker here. It took me a few try's years back but I finally quit. There are so many options out there as you may know. A close friend of mine is currently in the process. He finds the live strong quit smoking app that's available on smartphones, touch pads and such to be of great help. If you have such a device check it out. It's helping him in a big way. Listen, I wish you the best. Be gentle with yourself because truth is it can be like giving up a good friend. It's going to be ok to initially miss it. But even better when you don't. :-)

Mea :-)

• 2 weeks later...

I've been a smoker for almost 7 years now. I've been trying to quit for the last year, every time I light up I wish I was able to stop. E-cigs did help me quit but it only lasted a month before I picked up a pack out of stress. I wish you luck! Hope you can do it.

I have decided tonight that I am done quitting smoking.

At the end of each day I will report my sucess or failure.

If I smoke please guilt trip me, that is what works. It might be best to reference I need to save for a trip to thailand. This sort of thing works for me.

Feel free to do the same, but specify what you need for encouragment.

Either way, please support me. And if I am sucessful at this expect a quit drinking thread after.

Thank you for any support. I'd also like stories if your quitting experience if you have one, even if you still smoke.

Gonna keep an eye on your thread. I want you to inspire me so I can find the strength to quit smoking too. It's time but I am afraid to..stop. Sounds dumb doesn't, though I'm sure you can relate.

Try the book: Allen Carr's "The Easy Way to Stop Smoking".

It's been translated into several languages.

I've just started reading it.

Good luck!!!

• Like 2

I have not had a cig in 2 yrs I read the book by allen car the easy way it works really! I was a pack a day smoker so believe I know but its easy really not as hard as you think...

• Like 1
skydiveaddict

I believe it's a matter of stress and situation. All four deployments I've been on, I smoked two packs a day, at least. So did almost everyone else. And every time I came home the urge left completely.

I believe it's a matter of stress and situation. All four deployments I've been on, I smoked two packs a day, at least. So did almost everyone else. And every time I came home the urge left completely.

We had a site manager that would start about 3 months before a vehicle roll-out (Shuttle- modification or new build) and then quit afterwards…

Based on the title of OP…sounds good to me. I need to quit too. My story is, I had quit in 2008 and restarted again in 2012. I've been off and on all of my life, but this last time I made myself start:sick: I feel guilty all of the time.

Today am going to make an appointment for the cessation classes through my HC provider. That's how I quit in 2008…patches.

I hate smoking and don't even inhale (but it still gets in my system). I want to be free of this.

Interesting.... I'm a lifelong non-smoker who grew up in the blue haze of an unfiltered two smoker Lucky Strike household. Now, according to them, mom smoked for about 30 years and quit at 43. Dad smoked for about 55 and died smoking at 69. Mom lived until 89 and was healthy physically until well into her 80's. Me, I'm a healthy 54yo, even dealing with all that second hand smoke as a child. Lucky I guess.

With all the technology and support available today, if you want to quit, I think you can, and decisively. I remember one day my mom smoked and the next day she didn't and never did again, even living with a two-pack a day smoker for the rest of his life. IMO, it came down to willpower. You can do it. Good luck.

This was me one of the times I quit- my parents also were Lucky Strike smokers. As a kid I remember car windows rolled up and both puffing away…I made a coughing sound and I was called a hypochondriac- go figure.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Best of luck WhoreyBull. Wanting to give up is half the battle. I desperately want to give up but have zero willpower. I gave up for about 6 months last year after hypnotherapy so am really disappointed in myself. Will keep trying though and you must do the same. Cutting down is a good start so well done you! Keep us posted on your progress.

I quit my 60 a day habit at christmas, in a way to prove I was getting stronger to my ex after a prolonged breakup. We are definitely not back together but I am not smoking and don't believe I ever will, no patches/ecigs (have both and haven't used them since actually quitting) My friends still smoke in my house, I go outside to hang in the smoking area as it's a good way to meet people. Don't miss it, am still coughing up tar 7 weeks later! To be honest I love smoking, I rolled my own from Drum tobacco for years, it was a savoury ritual, like gaseous tea. I got up to 60 or more a day (25 grams) and just realised I'd done all the smoking I was due to enjoy in my lifetime, and perhaps a bit more besides. Nice to smoke for a while, just don't let it jeopardise your life ffs.

Edited by jorgejuan

Pack a day for 20 years, I am 37. No cig in almost 5 days, I have been vaping and love it. It is the only method I have actually enjoyed and I have tried them all. All my relapses have been while drinking alcohol, but last night I had a few beers and wanted a cig so bad, but managed to resist and relied on vaping. I can already breathe lot better and when I ran at the gym today it felt like I could run forever. I feel great. I would still love a real cig for sure. But I keep telling myself it would just make my throat sore and make me feel like crap again.

I have a feeling that when I drink again I may not be able to handle it and smoke. But if I do, I think the guilt would be enough to not want it again...I hope. Takes more will power than a person can imagine. Good luck.

• Like 2

In Canada the vapour cigs have no nicotine in them. I tried them and honestly my lungs felt awful, made me cough, my throat itched and I had a really weird taste in my mouth from the vapour and it stayed for a day or two.

Tomorrow will be 2 weeks without cigarettes! It didn't bother me to smoke honestly, but it bothered all my family and I wanted to save money.

I'm 34, started smoking at 29 (yes, stupid I know, but I was dealing with a major depression episode and was needing all help for anxiety I could get) and there were times I would smoke 50 cigarettes a day (2 and 1/2 packs).

Went down several times to half a pack (10 cigarettes) but since last june (when i broke up with my boyfriend) i was smoking a pack a day, everyday. I decided to quit from nowhere, just said "this will be my last pack" and never bought them since.

First 3 days are terrible, anxiety hits extremely hard. But i'm finding NOW the worst time, as I feel my reactions for things much worse. I have no patience with anyone or anything. :( I'm currently depressed.

I don't feel more hungry and i'm not eating more, thank heaven. My weight didn't change yet! Makes me glad.

Hope this depression goes away. I'm not liking who I became now... I don't physically need anymore cigarettes but I feel they helped me deal better with life.