Is my boyfriend an alcoholic?

Lately my boyfriend been telling me that he's been drinking. I have been concerned so I asked him what's up. When he called me late last night just before 11pm he asked to meet up and said he's drunk but I couldn't. I asked him what's up with him drinking lately and he said he doesn't know and that he hasn't been drinking for the last 2 days. He even asked me if he should throw out the beers he had with him and I said yes and I believe that he did.

• Author

He isn't mean and neither does he beat me when he's drunk. I'm not controlling him at all just concerned because I worry he might have a drinking problem but I'm not sure.

Edited by a LoveShack.org Moderator
He isn't mean and neither does he beat me when he's drunk. I'm not controlling him at all just concerned because I worry he might have a drinking problem but I'm not sure.

Well I guess you need to determine what a "problem" is. Is he getting drunk to the point where he can't function during the day? Is it affecting his work? I have several beers almost every night when I get home from work. I get home from work at 3 am so I dont affect anyone else nor do I get stupid drunk nor does it affect me when I get up the next afternoon. Some could say I have a drinking problem because I drink daily. I don't think it is a problem...I just enjoy beer!

• Author
Is his drinking a pattern of did he just tie one on with his friends?

It could be both. He told me he was drinking with someone b/c they had beer.

In my opinion, from what you have said, this doesn't sound like a drinking 'problem' at all. If anything a little melodramatic, but certainly not 'alcoholic'.

Does he drink daily, and does he fall to pieces when not drunk? Then perhaps.

I don't know about you, but in my culture everybody drinks, and pretty heavily. There are many people that drink a lot that are not 'addicts' by definition, they are merely taking part in social norms.

Of course there are people who are alcoholics in the mix, but not everyone is an 'addict'..

• Like 1
  • Author
Well I guess you need to determine what a "problem" is. Is he getting drunk to the point where he can't function during the day? Is it affecting his work? I have several beers almost every night when I get home from work. I get home from work at 3 am so I dont affect anyone else nor do I get stupid drunk nor does it affect me when I get up the next afternoon. Some could say I have a drinking problem because I drink daily. I don't think it is a problem...I just enjoy beer!

Maybe you're right. I mean he has gotten drunk to the point acting loud and crazy and don't remember anything. I guess it's nothing.

Maybe you're right. I mean he has gotten drunk to the point acting loud and crazy and don't remember anything. I guess it's nothing.

No I don't think that is nothing. That is definitely a problem

swimswithjeans

In my humble opinion, someone who drinks only casually won't ask if they should throw away their beer.

You know your boyfriend better than anyone, but, please, please follow your instincts. You are smart and you are capable and a relationship with an alcoholic - is one of the most gut-wrenchingly horrible, confusing, disorienting, and unfair experiences you will ever have in your entire life.

People told me this, and I did not believe them. But, please, believe me. If he is an alcoholic, if this is the case, muster up whatever energy you have and walk away now before you're at the point that you're so far in you think you should stick around in hopes of getting back whatever you gave.

It won't happen and I wish someone had told me that 10 months ago. It will be okay.

Sending you lots of love and wisdom.

• Like 2
  • Author
No I don't think that is nothing. That is definitely a problem

Yes that is lol and it's was embarrassing hope he tone it down.

• Author
In my humble opinion, someone who drinks only casually won't ask if they should throw away their beer.

You know your boyfriend better than anyone, but, please, please follow your instincts. You are smart and you are capable and a relationship with an alcoholic - is one of the most gut-wrenchingly horrible, confusing, disorienting, and unfair experiences you will ever have in your entire life.

People told me this, and I did not believe them. But, please, believe me. If he is an alcoholic, if this is the case, muster up whatever energy you have and walk away now before you're at the point that you're so far in you think you should stick around in hopes of getting back whatever you gave.

It won't happen and I wish someone had told me that 10 months ago. It will be okay.

Sending you lots of love and wisdom.

He asked knowing he would get messed up if he had more to drink too

skydiveaddict
Lately my boyfriend been telling me that he's been drinking.

Don't worry about it. Almost everyone has a few beers now and then