7 days; Cold turkey.

I'm absolutely certain I haven't bit my nails at all, in seven days. I can see the white part on eight out of my ten nails, and I'm very happy. They're also a bit harder. No more biting, I hope.

this is a great achievement! was it hard to stop? I got the idea that it's harder for a gut because you can't paint your nails.

Bitting your finger nail betrays a nervous character. That's good (I like that).

Bad looking finger nails are such a turn off for me - so that's bad. I know since my calcium or something dropped drastically and all of the sudden, almost all my nails look like s***. Some are sore too... So I'm in the patience-loosing, nerves-making,killing-someone like process of simply waiting for them to grow ... sucks big time!

Good you're holding on, though!

• Author

It had nothing to do with nervousness. I don't know how I started, but it just never stopped. Now I'm stopping because I didn't like how it felt.

Kick ass dyer,

I've bitten my nails off and on for the last 30 years. Though I've been much better about it the last 5 or so. Still, it's something that will sneak back up on me during a stressful Monday or something like that and I'll suddenly look down and find a few nails missing.

Ugly habit, good for you for taking a stand.

I've always thought bitting your nails was a response to stress or feeling uncomfortable, too much pressure or generaly thinking too much. That's how I associated it with being a more nervous fellow . Guess I was wrong...

admiration! i still bite my nails and are so self-conscious of my fingers... i should just stop, but argh been doing it for so long now.

• Author
Originally posted by johan

I had a friend in college that bit his toe-nails. What does THAT indicate?

Flexibility, limberness

keep them filed so the edges dont catch and make you reflectively want to bite it off.

you can also go to a salon to keep them smooth.

i know guys who do this its great for women. nothing better than my bf smooth hands. ;)