Blackout Nightmare Aftermath

Blackout2012

I entered outpatient treatment voluntarily back in October of 2011. It has been such an eye opening experience. I had done AA prior but felt that I needed some additional education. I'm a chronic relapser and I know that a big part of that has been not cutting away from all of the using friends. I'm about to turn 32. I relapsed while in outpatient and received a DUI on March. Due to that relapse, I was then forced to finish a treatment program which ends here in a few weeks. I happen to not be working due to going to college full time. I graduate in a week. I was living with 2 roommates, and we decided to go separate ways. One was moving in with her boyfriend, and the other had another place to go, I did not know what was going to happen with my financial situation at that time. My parents have a home that I was able to move back into until I can get onto my feet again. I'm searching for jobs as well.

As I posted in blackout nightmare, I had relapsed twice. Once this past Sunday, and once the prior week. The first one resulted in me going to detox since I was lost in the neighborhood in a black out. This past relapse had to do with being around my ex. We decided to go out and drinking, knowing this was a bad idea. And, we ended up fighting, the result was that I had to come back to my parents that night which they were not happy about.

Now, my parents are not home often as they have 2 homes. My mom is quite upset, understandably. Other than these 3 relapses that took place, my life has been so much better! I'm so thankful for treatment, AA, and my sponsor. I used to be drinking all of the time, so I do see improvement, but I must keep on the same track.

My mom is so upset though, she is trying to tell me that I cannot see my ex anymore, and that I can no longer be gone on the weekends. My dad explained that I can see whomever, but if I'm out of the house overnight, they will kick me out. I pay rent, I'm very respectful around here, and I clean up after myself. I never go anywhere except to my ex-boyfriends house. We were trying to work things out. We were hanging out for 6 months and have been doing so well. We were staying away from drinking, spending quality time together. Working on our futures. Well, after what happened this past weekend, it is clear that we cannot drink and be in a relationship. We love each other so much. We have come a long way from when we dated years ago, and I know we have the potential to have something really special. I'm already humiliated as it is about the events that took place this past weekend. And, it is awful being treated like a child, and this is all due to alcohol. I hate alcohol. I'm really trying hard, and throwing myself even deeper into recovery. My parents have been proud of me up until these past 2 weeks. I cannot wait to get a job and move out, be on my feet again. It crushed me hearing they are saying that I cannot spend time at my ex boyfriends house. I understand their concerns, but I am an adult. I could use some advice on things. Thanks.

What does your sponsor say about all of this? I know for me I had to spend the 1st year working on myself. I had to get rid of those old friends and I found great friends in AA.

"Rarely have we seen a person fail who has throughly followed our path"

You can do this. Use the Big Book and follow that path.

• Like 1
  • Author

Well, working on myself is a priority. That is for sure. I'm just going to pick myself up and keep moving forward. I have cut many people out of my life and I'm going to keep on doing that.